Stefan Mitrovic

Blackjack15

The word offer, I'm sure, is being used loosely. If there was an offer, it was likely "Ok, we will definitely call you for the next two games." It's also possible the offer was "Want to keep playing at Red Star? Play for Serbia." Who knows. Either way, that one time switch was good leverage. All the best to him, and even his Dad.

If he was really in the process of filing a switch I tend to believe he genuinely had interest, rather than just using us as leverage. Publicly saying Canada is interested is one thing, but actually starting the process of the switch is another. Flores never did that to my knowledge.

People may not want to hear this, but I don't think this case is completely closed. I do expect him to remain with Serbia, but you never. If Serbia renege on whatever deal or promise they gave Mitrovic, which could happen if the manager leaves, then Canada could possibly be back on the table. 

Another thing, I don't know whether such deals or guarantees are common with international football, but it seems off. Serbia has more successful than Canada in their short history, but making guarantees to players seems like a bad practice. If you are good enough you wouldn't need a coach or FA to give you a guarantee of call ups, or playing time. Just seems shady with a high probability of going wrong, both for the player and the program. It wouldn't shock me though if Mitrovic's camp demanded that, considering how they previously wanted to come to the Canadian camp without filling out the switch.

Personally though, I am kind of done caring about this. I would be happy if he joined, but in reality we are talking about a substitute player at best, fringe player at worst. It's not worth being invested in any more. If he becomes a star for Serbia, oh well, it's not like he'll ever be an Alphonso Davies level player, probably won't even be an Eustaquio level player. That's not to shit on him, just being realistic. If he came in tomorrow he'd be somewhere between player 15 on the high end, to  26 on the low end. 

In other words, a player we could use, but not a catastrophic loss. We move on to the next one. Good luck Stef!

Edited by Obinna

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

If he was really in the process of filing a switch I tend to believe he genuinely had interest, rather than just using us as leverage. Publicly saying Canada is interested is one thing, but actually starting the process of the switch is another. Flores never did that to my knowledge.

People may not want to hear this, but I don't think this case is completely closed. I do expect him to remain with Serbia, but you never. If Serbia renege on whatever deal or promise they gave Mitrovic, which could happen if the manager leaves, then Canada could possibly be back on the table. 

Another thing, I don't know whether such deals or guarantees are common with international football, but it seems off. Serbia has more successful than Canada in their short history, but making guarantees to players seems like a bad practice. If you are good enough you wouldn't need a coach or FA to give you a guarantee of call ups, or playing time. Just seems shady with a high probability of going wrong, both for the player and the program. It wouldn't shock me though if Mitrovic's camp demanded that, considering how they previously wanted to come to the Canadian camp without filling out the switch.

Personally though, I am kind of done caring about this. I would be happy if he joined, but in reality we are talking about a substitute player at best, fringe player at worst. It's not worth being invested in any more. If he becomes a star for Serbia, oh well, it's not like he'll ever be an Alphonso Davies level player, probably won't even be an Eustaquio level player. That's not to shit on him, just being realistic. If he came in tomorrow he'd be somewhere between player 15 on the high end, to  26 on the low end. 

In other words, a player we could use, but not a catastrophic loss. We move on to the next one. Good luck Stef!

I wouldn't be surprised if Serbian forums aren't thrilled with this as they don't really call up players playing in Serbia and it could be seen as Mitrovic taking a spot from a "more deserving" player abroad.

Just now, RS said:

Yeah I can't say I'm surprised. Maybe I was holding out hope that he was a different character from his dad.

You're not the only one. I gave him the benefit of the doubt in the past too.

I am sure the Dad is still running the show, advising him to go Serbian right now. Shady as it was, the logic behind accepting the Serbian call makes sense, as no switch would need to be filed. Might as well see how far he can push the Serbian angle.

That said, starting the Canada paperwork and then pulling out is disrespectful of our time, and no matter how the Dad is advising, that one is squarely on Stef. Hard to find excuses for him now. 

3 hours ago, RS said:

That's some really shady shit from Mitrovic, if he told Herdman he was going to switch (and even started the process) only to reneg.

We all recall the "I see no reason at this time that I will not be playing for Canada," uttered by one A. Begovic a few days before he got a better offer from Bosnia-Herzegovina. In addition, we recall the acceptance of a call up to Canada by Jacob Lensky to play against Poland before he did a last minute about face to put on the shirt of the Czech Republic. This after Lensky's dad lobbied the Czech federation to have Jacob chosen. If Mitrovic had indeed told Herdman that he would fill out his one time switch and play for Les Rouges only to suddenly go elsewhere, then that is dishonourable and, yes, shady. Boo!!

19 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

We all recall the "I see no reason at this time that I will not be playing for Canada," uttered by one A. Begovic a few days before he got a better offer from Bosnia-Herzegovina. In addition, we recall the acceptance of a call up to Canada by Jacob Lensky to play against Poland before he did a last minute about face to put on the shirt of the Czech Republic. This after Lensky's dad lobbied the Czech federation to have Jacob chosen. If Mitrovic had indeed told Herdman that he would fill out his one time switch and play for Les Rouges only to suddenly go elsewhere, then that is dishonourable and, yes, shady. Boo!!

When the daddy’s boys (Flores & Mitrovic) have careers like Lensky, I hope the MLS Canadian teams and the CPL remember this behaviour 😇

14 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

What a gaslighting loser his father is. Just admit you didn’t want to play for Canada and move on.

I agree but I still can’t understand why a guy playing in the Serbian top division and starting was not called up for that China Olympic qualifying tournament? I don’t remember him being called at all, based on just where he was playing he deserved a call up over some of the other players that played in that qualifying tournament. Therefore, that one is totally on the CSA .