Stefan Mitrovic

Blackjack15

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

I could see one last hurrah for the Nations League and the 2023 Gold Cup as we can win that tournament. Also most of these player's club deals end in Summer 2023 so it's a fitting time frame if they're still playing regularly week in week out come Gold Cup time.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t really see it happening. With all the young blood we have coming up in attacking positions, and the need to think about 2026, I think everything after the WC will focus on the next generation when it comes to any fringe spots.   I suspect we may even see a fairly immediate exit for a few vets who know they won’t be around next cycle - Hutch, Vitoria and Hoilett come to mind.  

Hutchinson is likely done after world cup, but Vitoria and Hoilett I expect will persist for one or both of those competitions. As much as Herdman will prioritize the next generation, I think he's going to want this group to win it's first trophy. As such, I expect those two to be there, possibly with reduced roles. 

Post GC/NL 2023 I expect Vitoria to immediately be phased out. The next round of competitions will be GC/NL 2025 and we'll need the next generation of defenders to get up to speed. This is when I expect Henry to be phased out too by the way.

Hoilett may be slightly different. In late 2023/early 2024 he won't be near or at retirement (like Vitoria), so as long as he's playing well at his club (there are no signs he won't be atm) I think he'll sneak onto rosters. He'll have to be better than the likes of Millar and Corbeanu though (and possibly Mitrovic and Koleosho), which will only get tougher as they mature, but he's been evolving as a player and continues to give the team meaningful contributions off the bench or from the start. I think that continues. I don't think Hoilett makes the WC 26 team, but I see him being part of the transition in the lead up. 

Henry on the other hand doesn't have the durability to push further than 2023, I suspect.

I can only see him being part of the larger pool moving forward if he's playing well in MLS or a similar level, but he'll need to stay healthy and I am not holding my breath on that. Of course he's been a mainstay this cycle, and so he won't get dropped due to a lack of minutes this close to Qatar, but once that tournament is over I think it's curtains for him. He just doesn't have the durability to keep playing for Canada if he wants to extend his club career.

He's simply had too many injuries over the years and is approaching the phase of his career where it takes longer to recover from knocks. He's only on a one-year contract with Toronto as it is. I am not suggesting Henry will step away on his own accord necessarily, but one way or another I think 2023 will be his last year as an international (if not 2022).

Edited by Obinna

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Bold prediction: Cavallini plays his final game for Canada before Hoilett does.

I'll take that bet easy. I wouldn't be shocked to see Hoilett play at the 2026 WC too. I have even money on him being/not being there. He doesn't have the stature that Atiba has, but I think Canada values keeping an old guard around, and off the top of my head, in 2026, the only pre-'22 WC qualifying players would be Osorio, Piette and Hoilett?

14 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I'll take that bet easy. I wouldn't be shocked to see Hoilett play at the 2026 WC too. I have even money on him being/not being there. He doesn't have the stature that Atiba has, but I think Canada values keeping an old guard around, and off the top of my head, in 2026, the only pre-'22 WC qualifying players would be Osorio, Piette and Hoilett?

Agreed.  He's been Reading's best player this season at 32 years old.  And he's showing diversity in his ability to play across the lineup.  I have no doubt that if he keeps this level up for the season, Reading will immediately try to re-sign him if he thats what he wants.

11 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

A feather in Hoilett's cap is that he's evolving into a more versatile player, and versatile players always stand a better chance to get picked. He's a natural winger who can play in a midfield 3 as a CAM (Gold Cup 21), but is currently playing wing back for Reading. 2026 is a stretch, but it also wouldn't shock me either.

Osorio will be 34 and Piette will be 32. I think both will be sniffing around for a spot come 2026. I actually see a Osorio-Eustaquio tandem for a while next cycle. 

I think Kaye will drop off for the same reasons Henry will, though I expect him to be a contributor for part of next cycle. Certainly more than Henry will be.

48 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Hutchinson is likely done after world cup, but Vitoria and Hoilett I expect will persist for one or both of those competitions. As much as Herdman will prioritize the next generation, I think he's going to want this group to win it's first trophy. As such, I expect those two to be there, possibly with reduced roles. 

Post GC/NL 2023 I expect Vitoria to immediately be phased out. The next round of competitions will be GC/NL 2025 and we'll need the next generation of defenders to get up to speed. This is when I expect Henry to be phased out too by the way.

Hoilett may be slightly different. In late 2023/early 2024 he won't be near or at retirement (like Vitoria), so as long as he's playing well at his club (there are no signs he won't be atm) I think he'll sneak onto rosters. He'll have to be better than the likes of Millar and Corbeanu though (and possibly Mitrovic and Koleosho), which will only get tougher as they mature, but he's been evolving as a player and continues to give the team meaningful contributions off the bench or from the start. I think that continues. I don't think Hoilett makes the WC 26 team, but I see him being part of the transition in the lead up. 

Henry on the other hand doesn't have the durability to push further than 2023, I suspect.

I can only see him being part of the larger pool moving forward if he's playing well in MLS or a similar level, but he'll need to stay healthy and I am not holding my breath on that. Of course he's been a mainstay this cycle, and so he won't get dropped due to a lack of minutes this close to Qatar, but once that tournament is over I think it's curtains for him. He just doesn't have the durability to keep playing for Canada if he wants to extend his club career.

He's simply had too many injuries over the years and is approaching the phase of his career where it takes longer to recover from knocks. He's only on a one-year contract with Toronto as it is. I am not suggesting Henry will step away on his own accord necessarily, but one way or another I think 2023 will be his last year as an international (if not 2022).

I'm more bullish on Hoilett since his injury record isn't the best, he's 32 now and in his position if you begin to lose your physical tools it gets harder to keep a big contributer. There's also a ton of young wingers I really want to see start getting integrated regularly.

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

A feather in Hoilett's cap is that he's evolving into a more versatile player, and versatile players always stand a better chance to get picked. He's a natural winger who can play in a midfield 3 as a CAM (Gold Cup 21), but is currently playing wing back for Reading. 2026 is a stretch, but it also wouldn't shock me either.

Osorio will be 34 and Piette will be 32. I think both will be sniffing around for a spot come 2026. I actually see a Osorio-Eustaquio tandem for a while next cycle. 

I think Kaye will drop off for the same reasons Henry will, though I expect him to be a contributor for part of next cycle. Certainly more than Henry will be.

I'm expecting Osorio to be our captain going into 2026. 

14 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Given his versatility, I can see him playing a spot up bench role. He's not as well known domestically as some of our other players, but it would be quite the story to have him cap off his career playing at the world cup at home.

For 2026 captain, assuming Borjan is out of the picture, it's gotta be Davies, no? He'll have 9 years on the NT, fully in his prime, likely the 3rd (if not 2nd) highest goal scorer in our program history, and the guy who basically changed our NT's trajectory. Osorio is the emotional pick, for sure, but given the type of force he is, it seems obvious to me to give it to AD.

Davis will be wearing the C before 2026.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               ......and I did not even need the crystal ball for that one.😀                                               

Edited by MtlMario

42 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I'm more bullish on Hoilett since his injury record isn't the best, he's 32 now and in his position if you begin to lose your physical tools it gets harder to keep a big contributer. There's also a ton of young wingers I really want to see start getting integrated regularly.

I think you mean more bearish, right? 

Do you think his ability to play centrally can mitigating the loss of his physical tools? Central play requires the brain and he's got that in spades. 

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Piette will be 31, Osorio 33 (World Cup starts June 8).

This debate is interesting but it assumes everything remains static. There are going to be new young players emerging that will push some of our vets off the squad. Davies, David, Tajon, Staq, Miller, Johnston, Richie, Adekugbe are all starters on our current squad. They were not there during 2018 WCQ and  these guys are going to be there for their 2nd WC in 2026.....as vets

2 hours ago, Floortom said:

Anyone else surprised that Serbia senior team would cap him? He seems really low on their depth chart. Unless this is just a cynical calling exercise I don’t really understand it 

This is exactly what it is. I think the coach is looking at the future and doesn't want to lose him to Canada. We'll see if Canada Soccer has a statement when they release the squad in September. Otherwise I hope a journo asks Herdman what went wrong because the June window seemed like a debacle with them reaching out to Mitrovic but not being clear about what they wanted from him.

2 hours ago, Floortom said:

Anyone else surprised that Serbia senior team would cap him? He seems really low on their depth chart. Unless this is just a cynical calling exercise I don’t really understand it 

This^^^

Poor guy. Herdman should have a Teal Bunbury focused section of his PowerPoint Presentation.