Stefan Mitrovic

Blackjack15

2 hours ago, Floortom said:

Anyone else surprised that Serbia senior team would cap him? He seems really low on their depth chart. Unless this is just a cynical calling exercise I don’t really understand it 

I said it on here before, the fact that he wasn’t committing before showed where his interest was. Actions speak louder than words.

Even with our recent success. I don’t like that kids that are born and/or raised in Canada, have no interest in playing for us.

15 minutes ago, bwilly11 said:

How do prevent this from happening in the future? 

More games? Youth camps? A better liaison for the crazed dads of the duals? Seriously, this is always a sore spot for me. Fuck I hate when we lose talent.

The issue with his age group was that it was obliterated by COVID. So his only option became Serbia. The only thing we could offer him was senior camps which we tried twice but then Herdman didn't try to call him up properly afterwards whether those reasons were justified or not.

3 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

I said it on here before, the fact that he wasn’t committing before showed where his interest was. Actions speak louder than words.

Even with our recent success. I don’t like that kids that are born and/or raised in Canada, have no interest in playing for us.

I think he had interest but it seems June turned him off because they like sent him an email and then didn't follow up. It seems like this was a Canada soccer comms issue.

When is the last time we did all out, not deserved callup/cap tie? Busti? Just curious..

Maybe it's just not Herdmans style in the leadup to the WC, which is understandable. Seems like he really wants them to earn a call,which I agree with. Arguably Mitrovic hasn't even deserved a call up until like right now.  

Im sure Ivan will be happy to tell us everything before the questions ever get put to Herdman.

Do we know that Canada did not call him or invite him? Or are we speculating? 

Herdman does not seem like a guy who is going to miss out on a kid like this playing in europe. He capped Kone at 19. He seems to want to cap Kalesho (not sure of spelling). And if the social media sloughs are right Jebbo is jumping ship. 

To me this points to a kid who wants to play for Serbia and not for us. Also,what people might not understand here is that the Serbian manager is a Serbian football legend. I loved him growing up. Having him in Ivan's and Stefan's ear makes it next to impossible for Stefan to commit to us. It also looks like Piksi (Serbia's manager) is attempting to cap Serbian duels all over Europe as well. 

And all of this "uh i have not yet decided who I will play for" is bs. Its a way to use us as leverage. Same thing happened with Flores. This is exactly what Herdamn was talking about a few months ago. 

We have enough depth on offense. I would be more concerned if Dias or Smith decided to not play for us. I am not very worried about Mitrovic playing for us. Especially considering the baggage that comes with Ivan. If Mitrovic was a wonderkid then this would be a different story. But he is a depth guy even for Canada.

Edited by Vasi

15 minutes ago, Vasi said:

I would be more concerned if Dias or Smith decided to not play for us. I am not very worried about Mitrovic playing for us. Especially considering the baggage that comes with Ivan. If Mitrovic was a wonderkid then this would be a different story. But he is a depth guy even for Canada.

Dias and Smith have no choice but to play for us. Not sure why this forum keeps trying to pretend like France or Portugal gives two shits about them.

Also you say he’s a depth guy for Canada. Well first of all we need more depth. That’s what the best nations have. We’re very thin overall and especially in the attacking mid position. Also, who knows what happens to the program in 8 years. Saying we don’t need him now is poor long term planning for a national program. Sure I’m not crying about losing him but it’s a loss nonetheless.

Edited by Floortom

I wish we could get every eligible player for our national team, particularly the ones who were actually born and raised here. Canada soccer wasn’t interested until he started doing well in Serbia, but AFAIK, Serbia also only started showing interest when he started doing well. That’s sort of the baseline for national team interest, isn’t it?

Maybe he will do well, but there is a very good chance Mitrovic will have a Teal Bunbury like international career with Serbia. Maybe that is good enough to still fulfill the dream though, and good for him if so. 

I wish he was coming back to play for Canada, but I have no ill will toward Stefan. Good luck to him. 

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Dias and Smith have no choice but to play for us. Not sure why this forum keeps trying to pretend like France or Portugal gives two shits about them.

Also you say he’s a depth guy for Canada. Well first of all we need more depth. That’s what the best nations have. We’re very thin overall and especially in the attacking mid position. Also, who knows what happens to the program in 8 years. Saying we don’t need him now is poor long term planning for a national program. Sure I’m not crying about losing him but it’s a loss nonetheless.

I think we’re hyping them too much based on where they play, reality is that if they were good enough for France and Portugal they’d be there.