Stefan Mitrovic

Blackjack15

Surprised this guy didnt have a thread before. 

17 year old forward from Hamilton playing in Radniki Nis of the Serbian Superliga - Signed a 4 year contract with a 400K release clause. Made his professional debut against none other than Red Star Belgrade.

Here’s an interview of him: 

Talks about his grassroots youth career, living five  minutes away from Milan borjan, a tryout in Italy, what being in the CanPL Got Game Open Trials commercial was like and how nobody approached him, Pre season in Turkey, Possible playing Europa League Qualifying and more. As well as being recruited by former Impact / Fury player Sinisa Ubiparipovic at Cleveland State. He said he would accept a call up from either Canada or Serbia at U20’s.

The player was in the same generation of fellow Hamilton player who’s with Wolves academy Theo Corbeanu, and recent senior call-up Jordan Nelson.

• 4 months later...
On 1/24/2020 at 8:04 PM, Blackjack15 said:

Surprised this guy didnt have a thread before. 

17 year old forward from Hamilton playing in Radniki Nis of the Serbian Superliga - Signed a 4 year contract with a 400K release clause. Made his professional debut against none other than Red Star Belgrade.

Here’s an interview of him: 

Talks about his grassroots youth career, living five  minutes away from Milan borjan, a tryout in Italy, what being in the CanPL Got Game Open Trials commercial was like and how nobody approached him, Pre season in Turkey, Possible playing Europa League Qualifying and more. As well as being recruited by former Impact / Fury player Sinisa Ubiparipovic at Cleveland State. He said he would accept a call up from either Canada or Serbia at U20’s.

The player was in the same generation of fellow Hamilton player who’s with Wolves academy Theo Corbeanu, and recent senior call-up Jordan Nelson.

Nice nice Mitrovic being Serbian and Canadian could be capped by either country. I wonder if he has been playing international football at youth level for Serbia or Canada?

Edited by TGAA_Star
X

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

Breaking into the lineup at 17 is impressive. He seems like the type of player CPL is meant to catch but I’m glad he found a place to showcase his skills. Hopefully he can keep it going 

He said he went to the CPL Got Game trials, but didn't receive any offers to sign.

6 hours ago, Ivan said:

He said he went to the CPL Got Game trials, but didn't receive any offers to sign.

Yes I know. I believe he said that video from the Got Game trials helped to get him recognized in Serbia too. Otherwise, he would have been forced to go the college route, if that hadn't have come about, which was not his desire. It's far too early to say that Canadian teams missed out on him, but this is the type of player that I hope we can provide opportunities to going forward. 

50 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Yes I know. I believe he said that video from the Got Game trials helped to get him recognized in Serbia too. Otherwise, he would have been forced to go the college route, if that hadn't have come about, which was not his desire. It's far too early to say that Canadian teams missed out on him, but this is the type of player that I hope we can provide opportunities to going forward. 

Should have been a Forge signing IMO and as good as Smyrniotis has been this is an example of him being too focused on his Sigma players.  Mitrovic is a local Hamilton boy, his talent was known in the area even before the trials, and I mentioned his name to the club when they send out the first poll to fans before signings were even being announced

Best thing for his career honestly is playing in Europe especially in Serbia because even though he is Canadian, he is Serbian too. Not to mention playing in Serbia will help him grow and mature as a player.

The longer he plays in the Serbian SuperLiga, the more likely he will get noticed by another big European club.

On 6/7/2020 at 10:46 PM, gigi riva said:

I wish he would have signed with Forge But I think going Serbia may be better for him as far as developing. And this is not a shot at CPL teams

I don't disagree as a CMNT fan.  But as a Forge fan the ideal outcome would have been local kid signs with Forge FC, wins solid PT and shows flashes of brilliance year 1, replaces Borges as focal point of offense in year 2 while leading us to consecutive championships, and then is transferred on for a hefty fee to Serbia or Belgium or Bayern Munich immediately following 😁 Either way happy he is finding early success and hoping he throws his lot in with Canada despite being overlooked here early on

If we’re looking at the bigger picture, I think it will be far more beneficial to our program to demonstrate CPL as a legitimate pathway than it will be to have players like Stefen have an extra year or two of experience in Europe. Just my two cents though 

Edited by Aird25

13 hours ago, Aird25 said:

If we’re looking at the bigger, I think it will be far more beneficial to our program to demonstrate CPL as a legitimate pathway than it will be to have players like Stefen have an extra year or two of experience in Europe. Just my two cents though 

Yes the program should demonstrate that but unfortunately that is not the reality now is it? However younger players by going straight to Europe early, yeah it gives them that experience but by also playing in Europe it actually helps them grow more not just as players but as individuals. I'm talking maturity. They essentially become better and smarter players out there on that field and isn't that what you want out of your players at the end of the day? Because not only are they already accustomed to the European game and eventually when they play for the NT, they essentially would just make the national team more better. It would make the program better going forward.

12 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yes the program should demonstrate that but unfortunately that is not the reality now is it? However younger players by going straight to Europe early, yeah it gives them that experience but by also playing in Europe it actually helps them grow more not just as players but as individuals. I'm talking maturity. They essentially become better and smarter players out there on that field and isn't that what you want out of your players at the end of the day? Because not only are they already accustomed to the European game and eventually when they play for the NT, they essentially would just make the national team more better. It would make the program better going forward.

In year 1 the league took several players from the amateur level and moved them on to bigger leagues. What more did you expect? They just need to build on that success. If those first players do well there will be more and more opportunity for future transfers. Also, this myth that every player that moves to Europe receives the same level of support and training needs to die. It's a massive generalization and not true. 

Edited by Aird25

There was an article in the Serbian sports newspaper Sportski žurnal today that featured an interview with Mitrovic. There was a section where he spoke of his national team future:

- Something happened that I secretly expected and hoped for, but I was still very surprised - I received an invitation from Canada to play in the youth national team, whose passport I normally have. It is a selection up to 20 years. Here, in Serbia, the procedure is underway to get a passport from the country of my parents and in which I was born. The invitation came as a crown for my previous games in the younger club selections and lately for seniors. I am thrilled, and it will be an incentive for me to work even harder and play even better, said a smiling Stefan Mitrović. (http://zurnal.rs/fudbal/super-liga/98350/i-kanadjani-culi-za-nis, Google Translate) 

So it would appear that he was called up to our U20 national team for the CONCACAF U20 Championships that were supposed to be this month. Hopefully he keeps up this good form and will be a part of our U20 team when the tournament is eventually played!

Boy they are getting alot of mileage out of that non team.  Wouldnt he be the 3rd or 4th guy we have gotten rumors that they were going to get a call and are now firmly leaning Canada's way??  The Hungarian kid, the Israeli (i think is too old).  I'm glad Biello et al are reaching out to these guys and reminding them that Canada is a decent option.  

Managed to watch the game. He was fine. Not the most active game. Played both right and left side of the field.

Did win a good amount of fouls and took defenders on. Had 2 good chances to score, perhaps should've done better, but being 17 I'll cut him slack. He didn't look out of place playing with older experienced players.