Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

Who says Celtic would sell unless they were offered silly anounts of money? The Old Firm play by a different set of rules financially from other clubs in Scotland. If a player signs a long term contract like Alistair Johnston did there is a very good chance he'll still be there at the end of it if he is viewed as an important part of the team.

4 hours ago, P-O said:

He just arrived at Celtic.

Let him use the CL Qualifiers and/or the Europa League route to get a nice move up.

I agree, needs to prove himself against better opposition to get real looks up a level.   Not my personal preferred destination but it's a good situation for him and he seems to be enjoying it. Let's see what the beginning of next season brings.

He played just about flawlessly the entire match. 

One bad backpass near the end (to be fair to Ali, it was a tough ball to deal with) but he ended up recovering very well by winning back possession as the play fizzled out. 

Can see why the Celtic faithful adore him. He plays with loads of passion and is very responsible/tidy with and without the ball.

I do wonder what his ceiling could be. Have a few good years at Celtic and transfer to a mid-table EPL team, perhaps? 

Thought he had a brilliant 1st half.  Certainly brought his passing boots today (tackling boots to!), was just throwing crisp passes about.  Had a beauty played to Kyogo at 5 minutes which was disallowed for offside.  Point stands though.  Great vision, no hesitation and perfect weight and placement.  Wonderful stuff.   

2nd half maybe not so much but still a strong performance.  Tavenier ghosted him on that second goal but could make the argument that was a communication issue.  100% Ali's man though.    

He brings days like today to CONCACRAP and we're in for some joy. 

Celtic all but won the league today, with 2 matches to spare before the split.  Bit of a strange one today but a result for AJ & Co. 

BTW no away supporters section for the remainder of the Old Firm matches this season.

(Arfield dressed but stayed on the bench for Rangers.  A-gin). 

I accidentally clicked back to the first page of this thread, and it occurred to me that the amount of time elapsed between the start of this thread and today (a little over 3 years) is about the same amount of time between now and the next World Cup. Here's hoping there's a thread being started around now for a player that will have the same impact in 3 years!

If he keeps this up, he won't be at Celtic for much longer. The fact that he seems to raise his game in big matches (in this case, vs. Rangers) in addition to being rock solid against weaker competition will have a bigger team after him in no time. I don't think any of us could've expected him to walk into Celtic and immediately become one of the most key players on the squad, but here we are. Sky is the limit for this guy.

3 hours ago, Wasp said:

If he keeps this up, he won't be at Celtic for much longer. The fact that he seems to raise his game in big matches (in this case, vs. Rangers) in addition to being rock solid against weaker competition will have a bigger team after him in no time. I don't think any of us could've expected him to walk into Celtic and immediately become one of the most key players on the squad, but here we are. Sky is the limit for this guy.

I think he's at Celtic longer than people think.  A club he absolutely loves being at and where he can win.  Off to Champions League next year for another great experience.  If a truly big club comes for him it's a tougher decision, but I don't think he'll be moving on to a mid-tier EPL side (yet).

2 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Starting today vs Motherwell. Also, I was intrigued by the number of Japanese players on Celtic and wanted to know if there was a specific reason why. Found this article breaking it down:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveprice/2023/01/21/how-celtic-and-scotland-can-help-asian-players-reach-the-premier-league/?sh=247571a1e068

Ange Postecoglu