Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

6 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Tierney would be the recent exception.

But Spurs have been linked a lot with Kyogo.  Same with Hatate and Brighton (who can offer European football, which Spurs can't).

(Your Southampton comment based on the those that left a few years - Armstrong, Foster, Van Dijk and Wanyama?.  If so, you make people feel old if 2014 ish and later is "historical."😉

True about Tierney. And yeah I thought about the word "historically" after I posted. I probably should have said "in recent history". :D

21 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

To be clear, Rangers went in to insolvency. Rangers are now a new club, with only 1 title, leaving them 52 behind Celtic.

Well if we’re going in that direction, since my Celtic jersey just arrived in the mail, I’ll say this: Sevco was not a very competitive team for quite some time, but now that they have returned to their rightful place as the second best team in Scotland, it’s marginally harder for Celtic to run the table with Scottish trophies. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I think the RCB position is simply cursed when Johnston isn't there.

No, it's not cursed.

It's just that Johnston is just that good.

He played in all our WCQ matches and we would not have made it to the World Cup without him.

Sometimes defenders are underrated, especially in a team with David and Davies but these 4 Gold Cup games without him show us how important he is to the team.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

7 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

No, it's not cursed.

It's just that Johnston is just that good.

He played in all our WCQ matches and we would not have made it to the World Cup without him.

Sometimes defenders are underrated, especially in a team with David and Davies but these 4 Gold Cup games without him show us how important he is to the team.

I certainly agree 

That said, finding right-footed decently paced defenders (or not needing them elsewhere?) seems to be an issue.

Pro hockey players play important Stanley Cup matches with all sorts of terrible injuries when they shouldn’t… if you want that warrior mentality that Johnston has, you gotta live with the sometimes negative that he’ll insist on playing when he shouldn’t.  
Besides, we didn’t really have better options at RCB than a 70% AJ… we weren’t playing the US C team remember.

8 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

Pro hockey players play important Stanley Cup matches with all sorts of terrible injuries when they shouldn’t… if you want that warrior mentality that Johnston has, you gotta live with the sometimes negative that he’ll insist on playing when he shouldn’t.  
Besides, we didn’t really have better options at RCB than a 70% AJ… we weren’t playing the US C team remember.

Yeah, tough one.

Appreciate that guys came and tried to make something happen in those two games about a half year after the World Cup.  Some of that meant playing hurt apparently.

And we seem committed to 352, to get the best out of our best players (the rationale at least) so we are not talking about Johnston as a fullback.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah, it was against the US where he was really slow I think? “At least” we know it was a serious injury, I guess. 

But it wasn't serious.  It was just a slight problem.  🤨

“Alistair had an issue when he came back from international duty,” Rodgers said, “He has a slight problem with his ankle but he’s had that operation on his ankle, it’s been successful and he’s out here with us."

21 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

https://www.footballinsider247.com/celtic-told-to-sign-right-back-after-confirmed-alistair-johnston-news-expert/?amp

Sounds like an extended recovery time and increased competition when he returns.  

Frankie Mac is West Ham, what does he know.😉.  To be fair he does just spout off about stuff, which is his job now.

6 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Saw someone suggest on twitter that Celtic getting Richie Laryea on loan to replace AJ isn’t the worst idea in the world…

That would be mint. I would take Richie at Rangers as well. Would be cool though to see both of the lads battle for a spot on the same team. It'd be a loan as well, so I wouldn't care if one was halting the others progress, as it'd only be for half a season in all likelihood. 

34 minutes ago, Obinna said:

That would be mint. I would take Richie at Rangers as well. Would be cool though to see both of the lads battle for a spot on the same team. It'd be a loan as well, so I wouldn't care if one was halting the others progress, as it'd only be for half a season in all likelihood. 

Yeah I feel like timing is just right. AJ is out 8 weeks I think? So realistically, he’ll be back mid-September, so Richie would get to play quite a few games, and with Celtic having lost Jota, when Alistair comes back, they could even try Laryea out at RW. He’s definitely got the motor of a Celtic player. He might even beat AJ’s record for fastest time to become a club legend if he can put a Rangers player on his ass early on in the season.

Rangers would be a good team from a quality perspective too. Plus, those teams make it easier for him to jump back to championship after.

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah I feel like timing is just right. AJ is out 8 weeks I think? So realistically, he’ll be back mid-September, so Richie would get to play quite a few games, and with Celtic having lost Jota, when Alistair comes back, they could even try Laryea out at RW. He’s definitely got the motor of a Celtic player. He might even beat AJ’s record for fastest time to become a club legend if he can put a Rangers player on his ass early on in the season.

Rangers would be a good team from a quality perspective too. Plus, those teams make it easier for him to jump back to championship after.

I love me some Scottish football following (even if I need to hold my nose with  Celtic.)

• 4 weeks later...