Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

6 is very early. Even 12. At 15 it should be clearer. 

With that incredibly positive mentality he has, that intelligence and optimism, watch out for his kid brother, those are things you get from a good supportive family and he may have it too. Apart from the physical genetics.

6 is early, and I think it's a problem that many kids that age are actually given these insane expectations when they barely understand why they're playing the sport in the first place, but I do think a lot of future stars start to pull away from the pack at that age. I think anyone who's played sports has some story of that kid who at 7-12 years old looked like he was from another planet, and that kid grows up to be a ~decent professional or bench player. But you'd think a child with a future european soccer career at such a legendary club would be turning *some* heads ever since he was a child, and I think it speaks to his character and how he grew up that he just kept growing.

Hell, I don't even know if anyone would've put the future Europe label on him at Vaughan or even Wake Forest. I think you'd probably have been laughed out the room if you saw him when he started at CF Montreal and told people he's a future premier league player, but now even the fans of his new club are saying he's well on that route. Just comes off as a guy who goes about things "the right way" and he's seen his development pay out dividends at every step of the way.

I think it can take defenders a while to season. Having exceptional technical ability may make more offensive minded players stand out at a young age but ability to develop an IQ for the game over time is crucial for defending and it may take a while to see that tendency to keep leveling up. A secondary thing is physicality. Some kids without incredible talent might get overlooked next to their peers because they physically mature later. By the time they "catch up" and then separate themselves form the pack they're well beyond the developmental stages.

8 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I agree that you don’t want to bulk up (I think that is, or at least has been, one issue with Akinola) but the guys I referenced all seem to have put on a specific kind of muscle.   Goretzka, Davies and AJ all look ripped without putting on a lot of extra bulk. Their physiques don’t deviate from what I would consider to be “footy friendly” - they just took it to its logical conclusion of maximizing strength within that phenotype.  Lewa did it too - which makes me suspect Bayern invests a lot of resources to make sure their players are in peak physical condition (or they just impose very high expectations on their players).   

It was less than 5 years ago when Mo Salah was a lightning quick winger, at the end of one of the greatest individual seasons in English football history, whom Sergio Ramos was able to pretty easily throw to the ground, separating his shoulder. If Ramos saw Mo Salah walking towards him down a dark alley today, ol' Serge would run in the other direction, shitting himself. Salah has built himself into a brick shithouse without losing any of his speed or quickness. When you combine incredible drive and work ethic with supreme physical gifts, you can achieve a lot. When you add a 'never fucking again' chip on the shoulder, the results are scary.

^ AJ getting a bit ripped hasn't hurt his pace one jot, quite the opposite I'd say.  It doesn't get mentioned a lot but this is a quick lad with an even better throttle.  I mean he just advances through the gears bang-bang-bang!  

Starting on the bench for Celtic against Hearts.  Seems like it is probably load management given the minutes he has been playing lately (and how well he seems to be doing) but Hearts are 3rd in the league so it is an interesting one to rest him.   Mind you, Celtic are 10 points clear of Rangers in 1st place, but Rangers have a game in hand.  I am wondering if he has a minor knock. 

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Starting on the bench for Celtic against Hearts.  Seems like it is probably load management given the minutes he has been playing lately (and how well he seems to be doing) but Hearts are 3rd in the league so it is an interesting one to rest him.   Mind you, Celtic are 10 points clear of Rangers in 1st place, but Rangers have a game in hand.  I am wondering if he has a minor knock. 

They’re playing Hearts again in the cup quarter finals this weekend. They’re also benching guys like Jota and Hatate who are usual starters too.

Apologies if this has been posted here already. Saw it on the Celtic subreddit and felt it was worth sharing.

Really rate Johnston. I actually met him by chance a couple of weeks ago in Edinburgh. He was presumably just on his day off and wandering around sightseeing, whereas I was standing outside my dad's funeral reception getting some fresh air when I saw him. I went up to him and said that I wouldn't usually bother him but it was too much of a coincidence that I'd see a Celtic player pass by on the day of my absolutely Celtic daft Dad's funeral. He was really lovely and stayed to chat to me and a couple of other people for about 10 minutes. We talked about the cup final and it was clear how keen he is and loving it here. Chatting to him was a really cool part of (and a great story to tell!) an otherwise shite day. A cool guy.

- /u/macaronipickles

• 2 weeks later...

Hard match to shine in but thought he had a good run against the Staggies this morning.

Had his moments but the highlight was when he went on a beauty raid.  A Jota heel flick that lead to him slipping a tackle and then muscled himself onto the ball for a dangerous crossing opportunity.  Naught came of it but as sexy a bit of footballing as you'll see away-up-north.

BTY, Loturi had a good day.  I mean, if that's possible when you're defending for 90 minutes.  Pressed when it made sense.  Went on his own raids when it made sense.  Didn't over-force it.  Really smart bit of footballing with enough aggression built into it to try to be more than just reactionary.