Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

7 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

He got the start today in the season closer against Aberdeen. I wasn’t expecting him to play again this season, nice to see.

Read somewhere he could have maybe gone in midweek but they are building him up for the Cup Final.  Nice of them to get his match fitness up a little for us, though. 

4 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Any further reports on this?  The only thing I saw was that he “pulled up” right before being taken off.

“It’s the same for Alistair Johnston who also came off. He felt his injury lock but I didn’t think we’d get 90 minutes out of him today anyway.

"He was brilliant for the time he was on so, again, we’ll assess it. But watching him jump around the dressing-room afterwards, they all seem OK.”

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/kyogo-celtic-injury-update-scottish-27007681

Tomorrow is Cup Final Saturday and last chance for AJ to collect some more silverware this '22-'23 campaign season as Celtic and Inverness Caledonian Thistle take up the question at Hampden.  Kickoff 12:30 EST.

But is the result in "question"?   I think not but football can be a funny old game can't it?

So Saturday AM is a scrub in my den with back to back Cup Finals finishing out the season.  Can be 33C and humid as fu'k all afternoon my #2 Johnston shirt is going wear oh so sweet.

Edited by Cheeta

I opened up my FotMob app on my phone yesterday and it was pretty awesome to see an interview with Johnston at the top of the News feed.  I went to search for the article to post and quickly realized that he is clearly a player that they value speaking to the media.  And from everything we have seen from him, it's not a surprise.  Very well spoken.

FotMob - Football Live Scores

Filter through the news and you'll see something like every 5th post feels like a Johnston interview.  It looks like 4 or 5 articles in the past 24 hours so potentially all pulled form the same interview.

Edited by Corazon

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

I opened up my FotMob app on my phone yesterday and it was pretty awesome to see an interview with Johnston at the top of the News feed.  I went to search for the article to post and quickly realized that he is clearly a player that they value speaking to the media.  And from everything we have seen from him, it's not a surprise.  Very well spoken.

FotMob - Football Live Scores

Filter through the news and you'll see something like every 5th post feels like a Johnston interview.  It looks like 4 or 5 articles in the past 24 hours so potentially all pulled form the same interview.

Serves AJ well too. Lets the footballing world know that he’s an intelligent guy with an even keel.

I sometimes wonder if that’s one of the reasons guys like Atiba, David, Larin, and Tajon get slept on to varying degrees. They’re not big, flashy personalities off the pitch. Easier to overlook.

2 hours ago, footballfreak said:

Serves AJ well too. Lets the footballing world know that he’s an intelligent guy with an even keel.

I sometimes wonder if that’s one of the reasons guys like Atiba, David, Larin, and Tajon get slept on to varying degrees. They’re not big, flashy personalities off the pitch. Easier to overlook.

It's not their fault it's just their personalities but Good God Larin is a tough watch in any interview he does.

10 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

Ange Postecoglou looks to be signing on with Tottenham. Is it possible if all stars aligned, Ange does well at Tottenham, Alistair has another good season at Celtic, that he could make the jump to Spurs? Or am I dreaming? 

Could happen maybe. But he needs more time at Celtic.

We need to stop seeing one of ours play one game for a club and immediately be like "ZOMG WHENS THE NEXT MOVE COMING?"

13 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

Ange Postecoglou looks to be signing on with Tottenham. Is it possible if all stars aligned, Ange does well at Tottenham, Alistair has another good season at Celtic, that he could make the jump to Spurs? Or am I dreaming? 

Definitely possible. He has the physical tools and mentality to succeed in the Premier League.

Also, just want to note, it's been unprecedented success for Canadians lately, but him winning a treble in his first six months at the Scottish giants is absolutely insane and should not be taken for granted. Winning a treble is incredibly rare and a huge achievement, let alone in your first six months at a club.

2 hours ago, frmr said:

. Winning a treble is incredibly rare and a huge achievement, let alone in your first six months at a club.

Celtic winning the treble 5 of the last 7 years isn't exactly rare, more like expected. But you are right, still an impressive accomplishment for AJ. 

17 hours ago, kacbru said:

Celtic winning the treble 5 of the last 7 years isn't exactly rare, more like expected. But you are right, still an impressive accomplishment for AJ. 

To Celtic's credit, Rangers got relegated to the 3rd division in 2013 and had to claw their way back up- 2018/19 was the first season in nearly a decade where they finished second, and since then, they took a title off Celtic. Maybe splitting hairs because it's a 2 team league now, not a 1 team league like it was 7 years ago, but I think each year's treble means more because their main opponent keeps getting better.

That said, AJ might win 10 trophies with Celtic and still manage to leave them during his prime to go somewhere else. Definitely think there are many more of these coming his way in the very near future.

Watching Jimmy Conrad's soccer show and they had Fabrizio Romano talking about US players. They talk about Postecoglu's impending move and if CCV would possibly join him. Fab mentioned he heard that Ange most likely won't be raiding Celtic out of respect for the club. I imagine this affects any AJ-Tottenham links people are creating in their minds on this board.

2 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Watching Jimmy Conrad's soccer show and they had Fabrizio Romano talking about US players. They talk about Postecoglu's impending move and if CCV would possibly join him. Fab mentioned he heard that Ange most likely won't be raiding Celtic out of respect for the club. I imagine this affects any AJ-Tottenham links people are creating in their minds on this board.

I don't think it has anything to do with raiding Celtic. If someone wants to buy Celtic players at Premier League prices, Celtic are generally more than happy to sell and restock with young talents from around the globe. It's more the case that I don't think anyone is Tottenham's level at Celtic currently. Generally Celtic's best players have gone to lower mid-table teams in the Prem (historically Southampton).

6 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

To Celtic's credit, Rangers got relegated to the 3rd division in 2013 and had to claw their way back up- 2018/19 was the first season in nearly a decade where they finished second, and since then, they took a title off Celtic.

To be clear, Rangers went in to insolvency. Rangers are now a new club, with only 1 title, leaving them 52 behind Celtic.

1 hour ago, frmr said:

I don't think it has anything to do with raiding Celtic. If someone wants to buy Celtic players at Premier League prices, Celtic are generally more than happy to sell and restock with young talents from around the globe. It's more the case that I don't think anyone is Tottenham's level at Celtic currently. Generally Celtic's best players have gone to lower mid-table teams in the Prem (historically Southampton).

Tierney would be the recent exception.

But Spurs have been linked a lot with Kyogo.  Same with Hatate and Brighton (who can offer European football, which Spurs can't).

(Your Southampton comment based on the those that left a few years - Armstrong, Foster, Van Dijk and Wanyama?.  If so, you make people feel old if 2014 ish and later is "historical."😉