Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

On 1/10/2023 at 5:17 PM, SthMelbRed said:

Word to the wise......in Australia, what we call a Corner Store in Canada, or a Bodega in the USA, is commonly referred to as a Milk Bar.

We called them Confectionaries when I was growing up in Sudbury in the 60's and 70's (although they sold a lot of smokes).  Was that name used anywhere else?

On 1/9/2023 at 4:00 PM, Joe MacCarthy said:

That's because you can't really shake it after it had been opened to reinfuse the remaining fat.  You guys won't believe this (below) but I swear by it.

Many moons ago I was unemployed and looking to economize wherever possible.  I had powdered milk to use (for the breadmaker) so that was the genesis for the idea. 

I did the calculations and found out it was cheaper to buy powdered milk over regular milk, so I bought the big bag for around 25 bucks.  I would pour the bag into an empty 4L ice cream container.  So whenever I wanted to "make" milk I would "make" a couple of 1.89L plastic bottles (the type cranberry juice comes in).

Put about half a liter of water in the bottle (or about a third of the bottle) and use a funnel (made of a halfway cutoff 2L plastic pop bottle) and using a 1/2 cup measuring spoon you can add 5 (1/2 cup scoops) of the milk from the ice cream container (total of 2 1/2 cups powdered milk).  I usually put the screw cap on the bottle and shake it well before filling the rest of the water to the top of the 1.89L bottle.

Let stand overnight and you will get probably something between 1 and 2 percent milk.  Mine is not anywhere near as watery as skim and probably tastes like 2 percent.

What are the advantages?  With a screw cap on the bottle and ability to give it a quick shake before using, it stays fresher much longer.  Because I always have a bag in reserve, I never worry about running out of milk.  I don't know the shelf time of bagged powdered milk (months?) but I would never come even close to it anyway.  Making milk this way is cheaper, although the price of powdered milk has risen.

I've probably been doing it that way for 20 years.  Some lazy folks might say it is too much work, it isn't, once you figured out a system (above) and personally I find it more convenient, I always have milk on hand.  No trips to the corner store for me.  Probably the hardest part is making sure to have clean bottles, the milk making part is quick and easy.  And again it should chill overnight or at least several hours, makes a big difference in the taste.

If some of you had bad memories of powdered milk when you were a kid (like I did) it was probably because the instructions on the bag weren't followed (adding too much water) or the container used didn't have a reliable lid so it could be shaken before serving.  And when I say shaken I mean one quick jerky up and down movement not any great opera scene.  Handy tip for young college students and cheap SOBS like me.

I have used powdered milk on camping trips for 25+ years with great success, after figuring out it's particular ways.  I would add to your tutorial, make sure the water you add is cold.  For you it might have been a no-issue thing, but when camping it was definitely not, and it made all the difference. 

4 hours ago, eramosat said:

I have used powdered milk on camping trips for 25+ years with great success, after figuring out it's particular ways.  I would add to your tutorial, make sure the water you add is cold.  For you it might have been a no-issue thing, but when camping it was definitely not, and it made all the difference. 

Definitely true, that's why I said refrigerate overnight (best) or a few hours (not as good) before drinking.  It does make all the difference. As does a quick one second shake before serving.

If I don't have any milk made and need a glass for cereal or something I use cold water that I already had in the fridge not from the tap as I normally would use.  It's ok but not as good as refrigerated overnight.

Good timing for this post I just "made" two bottles about an hour ago.

I am trying to remember how much money I saved back when I started.  I think it was $10 for the amount of powdered milk that would make the same amount of milk as store bought.  And when you're unemployed ten bucks is ten bucks as Geddy Lee would say.  Might be $5 now, but it wouldn't matter now anyway because I prefer the convenience (for me).

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

Any mathematicians out there?

I just went online (PC Express), here are the prices in my area

Regular milk
1L $2.43
2L $4.37
4L $8.09

Powdered Milk
2.5 kg (25L when mixed by weight) $29.99 (the price went up $3 about a month ago)

For the scientists, I'm not quite sure what mixed by weight is, so I leave it to you to figure out the savings (or not)  2 1/2 cups powdered milk make 1.89L milk.

As I think about it, I think I get about 10 1.89L bottles of milk from one 2.5 kg bag.  So that's about 19L of milk for $29.99.  I don't think about the amounts much anymore so I could be wrong but that still looks like around a $10 saving.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

On 1/11/2023 at 2:34 PM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

A lot of theam are just tiny versions of the supermarkets now, which is kind of sad. 

Don't get back to the UK much but found Tesco Expresses seriously depressing when visiting Belfast about 5 years ago. Not exactly your caring sharing Co-op of years gone by on trying to be a mini-supermarket and basically all that's bad about a North American convenience store made even worse.

15 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Oat milk is the GOAT milk.

Since we've gone way off topic anyway, see this very funny "expose" on the fake (non-animal) milk industry:

https://www.google.com/search?q=almond+milking+video&oq=almond+milking+video&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30l3j0i22i30i625j0i22i30l4j0i390.5943j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:93b47999,vid:JJCTIPWPNtw

Edited by Kingston

I wish I would have posted about an article or video I quickly glanced at last week.  It said something to the extent that a person can actually survive on milk alone and it is the only "food" like that.  I can't speak to the veracity of that but when you think of babies and how they survive...

You may have heard of the semi legendary Jake "the Milkman" Milliman, is it time to appropriate the name and give it to Alistair "the Milkman" Johnston?