Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

Doubt we will see a UK based player added as the US just issued a travel advisory. Probably wouldn't even be able to travel to the US from UK without a quarantine at this point.

I'm expecting the replacement players will be MLS based

7 minutes ago, Addona said:

Fuck! This is why we maybe should’ve punted on that US game. I hope the Larin injury isn’t so serious that he misses the Sept matches.

I’m hopeful Larin’s situation is that just want to take him back to Turkey for a second look and it’s not serious.  

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Wheeler saying "it sounds" like both Larin and Akinola will miss the remainder of the Gold Cup.

He didnt go deeper than that so not sure what it's based on

Even if it wasn’t as serious, I could still see Larin being pretty careful about aggravating a minor injury in advance of a big pre-season and WCQ.   

Honestly I'm all up for Larin going back to Turkey, I rather lose him for this than risk losing him for WCQ. We still have Cavallini and he must be primed to go for the next few games. Its a blow to lose both Larin and Akinola for the rest of the tournament, but this is where our "depth" is going to be tested.

Edited by LeoH037

7 hours ago, trc2014 said:

Am I completely crazy that we could ask David to come for the most realistically 1-2 big important games? This was a much different ask then a full month of training and playing some minnows.

Could you imagine ending up with a few injuries after the 1st round group phase, and we show up to the 2nd round with David, Davies, Arfield, Hutch, Kennedy..... I'd pay just to see the jaws drop.

2 hours ago, Atlantic said:

Yikes. Larin getting hurt will not be good for a potential transfer. 

Herdman will have to do his due diligence and atleast call Jebbison and David’s agent 

No way any of them will risk their pre-seasons (specially David who was negatively impacted this past year due to having no pre season). Right now we'll have to compete with what we have, and honestly, I want them too, that way if we make it to a final then we will have done so without our main players. It should shut up a bunch of doubters. 

Edited by LeoH037

The easiest solutions would be:

-Bring in Akindele for Akinola

- Bring in a North American preliminary squad player for Larin. We don't have much choice but it could be Shaffelburg or Ricketts or Bair. (Anybody else come to mind?)

- After tomorrow's (Tuesday's) Whitecaps match, bring in Guti to cover at LB/LWB so we can play Pasher as a forward option instead of Larin.

I'd do all 3 of those things.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

18 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The easiest solutions would be:

-Bring in Akindele for Akinola

- Bring in a North American preliminary squad player for Larin. We don't have much choice but it could be Shaffelburg or Ricketts or Bair. (Anybody else come to mind?)

- After tomorrow's (Tuesday's) Whitecaps match, bring in Guti to cover at LB/LWB so we can play Pasher as a forward option instead of Larin.

I'd do all 3 of those things.

This all sounds logical to me. Sadly, and inexplicably, I predict that 0, or at most 1 (Akindele) of these things happens.

4 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Akindele is probably option #1 but Orlando is already without Dike so that would be a huge strain on them.

Theo Bair is an option as a warm body.

also wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t call anyone.

Yeah, as much as I was in favour of using this as time up for WCQ, the fact that we are now without David, Davies, Larin, Hutch, Arfield, Kennedy, Adekugbe, and Akinola means that this is now the B team approach that some were advocating for all along.  I can see Herdman and the CSA just going with the able bodies we have left and getting through the tournament.  At this point, my hopes of winning it all are pretty much nil, and I won’t be shocked with a QF exit.