Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

8 hours ago, scullion44 said:

Not going to lie I don’t follow the MLS at all but seeing a full MLS American team be such betting favourites is a bit if a surprise to me? Or are their players mostly stars in the MLS?

Canada win paying 5.5, a draw 3.7 over at ComeOn.  Think a healthy piece of that is volume movement.   

Oop.  Canada now paying 5.25.   Get in while you can!

No one on this thread underestimates these countries.  Panama Honduras Costa Rica and Jamaica all think they can take points in Canada on a good day.  They’ll be banking on it in their own calculations in the Octo!  

I’m definitely cheering for Costa Rica tomorrow. Jamaica to me has a lot of very skilled players that can cause havoc up front and overall just have a way better team on paper than CR. 

CR have toughness, experience and the effort to win against top CONCACAF teams but I feel like they can only get them so far and I’d like our chances a lot more against them. 

I am going to guess in saying that I’m not alone?

11 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

For all of the massive improvements that Suriname has made in terms of roster quality; they sure don’t do well against good competition in CONCACAF.

I guess I expected that they would be taking some points in this tournament with their much vaunted Netherlands imports.

I think they’ve been a bit unlucky this tournament. They had more shots in both of their matches, and equal or greater possession as well. That against Costa Rica and Jamaica, who many people think are 3 and 4 in CONCACAF. I think they are better than their record shows, but such is life in tournament football. 

1 hour ago, Atlantic said:

I’m definitely cheering for Costa Rica tomorrow. Jamaica to me has a lot of very skilled players that can cause havoc up front and overall just have a way better team on paper than CR. 

CR have toughness, experience and the effort to win against top CONCACAF teams but I feel like they can only get them so far and I’d like our chances a lot more against them. 

I am going to guess in saying that I’m not alone?

Agreed.

I like Costa Rica as a nice warm up for facing El Salvador and Honduras in September 

6 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Jamaica's forwards will absolutely torch our back 3 on the flanks especially if our wingbacks continue to play like wingers.

Agreed, I feel we need to adapt.  We're not at the point where we can impose our game vs the best 8 of CONCACAF.  The 3 CB is still a work in progress, we can use it vs the minnows, but I'm thinking we lean towards the 4-4-2 vs the big boys.  However it's not an easy adjustment, it takes a lot of practice to master and gel, especially when they only play together every couple of months.

6 teams have qualified for the Quarter Finals so far, and all 6 are teams that are in the Oct. Mexico is 15 minutes away from potentially making it 7 Oct teams in the Quarter Finals. The only one looking unlikely at this point is Panama, who is behind Qatar in the standings (I don't like Panama but I am pulling for them, I want Qatar out of this CONCACAF tournament).

I really thought/think that CONCACAF is getting deeper, with other teams capable of being competitive with the top teams, but then Haiti drew a tough group (and had a bunch of absences), Curacao had to drop out, and all of a sudden we are lacking in upsets. Should be an interesting rest of the tournament.

Mexico still beats us probably but they have not been impressive at all this tourney. They are really lacking firepower.

struggled at times last night against El Salvador and only put one in the net. I really don’t think there’s much separating this squad from the US’ B squad when it’s all said and done so I give us a fighting chance if we can make it to the semis.

Edited by Floortom

9 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Mexico looks really beatable.  El Salvador has had a ton of chances.

Admittedly I didn’t watch any of this game but it is funny how El Salvador has looked very beatable while playing Montserrat and other lightweights but then seems to really give Mexico a hard time.

Just now, Alex said:

Admittedly I didn’t watch any of this game but it is funny how El Salvador has looked very beatable while playing Montserrat and other lightweights but then seems to really give Mexico a hard time.

Perhaps we need to take the Gold Cup results with a large grain of salt. We of all nations should know this (hello 2000 Gold Cup).

Jamaica were Gold Cup finalists in 2015 & 2017 but didn't even make the 2018 WCQ hex.

The problem is being being beatable is not the same as being beat. 

We were beat. We obviously need to be better at starting and - in another sense of the terms - finishing to advance and keep advancing. 

Some things looked better through the game so hopefully we are growing and we should have some key pieces available next game. 

46 minutes ago, Alex said:

I watched a bit of the Mexico Salvador match and the thing about them (Salv) is they have players with good technique. Yes they play at low levels and all that, but if you can dribble, pass, shoot, control the ball in tight space, you are bound to get opportunities. 

I think certain teams match up well with other teams. I think they struggle against physical teams but give a good account of themselves against a team who will flat out try and outfootball them (Mexico).