Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

Qatar look pretty damn strong.  I guarantee they don’t embarrass themselves next summer at the WC.  And if I am the US and looking ahead to the semi finals, I don’t think I would be looking forward to the idea of playing them.  I could easily envision a Mexico (or Canada) vs Qatar final.   

Next winter....

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

No one can convince me that those are actual Qatar fans in the stands wearing generic tshirts with thunder sticks. 

I also can’t believe Qatar won the Asian Cup with the amount of snobs that act like AFC is way ahead of CONCACAF... they’re not all that impressive and this is their “A” squad. 

They are pretty darn impressive imo.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they win the whole thing. It will certainly help with their morale after the bad showing in copa america 

6 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

No one can convince me that those are actual Qatar fans in the stands wearing generic tshirts with thunder sticks. 

It's not a conspiracy, it's common practice.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2014/12/17/in-qatar-migrant-workers-paid-to-be-sports-fans/20523237/

I only started watching the Qat-Hon match at the 75th minute.   Honduras should have equalized against Qatar.  They were very wasteful, and that is one of the traits of honduras that quickly comes to mind when i think of all the games i have seen them play in Concacaf.   A lot of bonehead mistakes wasted of orchestrated plays.  Like finishing.  

Edited by Free kick

The US have called up two players into their team although so far only Zimmerman has exited the tourney due to injury (Edit - I forgot about Arriola as well):

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/cade-cowell-henry-kessler-join-usmnt-gold-cup-camp-walker-zimmerman-out-with-inj

Also heard somewhere that Mexico are bringing in Pizarro from Inter Miami to replace the injured Lozano.

I hope we aren't going to wait until the very last minute to bring someone in.

Edited by Gian-Luca

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I only started watching at the 75th minute.   Honduras should have equalized against Qatar but they were very wasteful.   That is one of the traits of honduras that quickly comes to mind when i think of all the games i have seen them play in Concacaf.   A lot of bonehead mistakes wasted fromwell orchestrated plays.  Like finishing.  

2-0 flattered Honduras over the course of the game, Qatar missed a PK in the first half and were also very wasteful.

This is the quarterfinal matchup we thought we were getting in 2019, before Haiti scored late against Costa Rica to win their group. I like this matchup. I was hoping it would be Costa Rica. I'd like to see how we fare, even if depleted.

On the other side of the bracket, Qatar is the clear favourite to make the final, in my opinion. I've been really impressed with what I've seen from them. If the semifinal on that side is Qatar and the US, it's not even close. Qatar takes it convincingly. Looking forward to Saturday and Sunday!

Edited by jtpc

2 hours ago, BigMo said:

Almost guaranteed Qatar will get to the semifinals if they get this result. Run of good form for almost two years. 

They are Asian champions for a reason. I find it hilarious how a lot of Honduras fans seemed to underestimating them prior to the match. That was total domination by Qatar. Honestly, I really want to see them square off against Mexico, I think that would be a good match up.. hell I want Canada to square off against them. A lot to like from this Qatar team.

To go on a bit of a tangent, I have really liked what I've seen from Pasher in MLS and for Canada so far, losing Larin and Akinola gives him the opportunity to show more, and I'm all up for it. I have a feeling that if given a bigger role, Pasher will pull through and surprise a few, he's been a late bloomer, but so far in his career he has managed to excel at every level he's played at, and it would be such a great come back story for a guy who a year ago probably never imagined being inside the CMNT picture.

59 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I also can’t believe Qatar won the Asian Cup with the amount of snobs that act like AFC is way ahead of CONCACAF... they’re not all that impressive and this is their “A” squad. 

AFC isn’t far ahead of CONCACAF, but Qatar’s been impressive to me. They were unlucky not to get 3 points against Panama and have looked more organized in the back since that game. I think they’ll make the final (hopefully against us)

6 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

qatar will be in the final.

book it ........ and throw it in my face if el salvador pumps them on saturday 😆

I have a feeling El Salvador will not fare against Qatar as well as they did against Mexico. Mexico despite all their talent are relatively well known in CONCACAF, Qatar on the other hand are an unknown. If anything, I'd argue Panama got lucky having to face them first, as it appears during that first game Qatar were not ready for CONCACAF and the physicality of some sides, but they seem to be adapting quickly and getting better as the tournament progresses. I don't rule out seeing them in the final, they could give anyone a hard time, and I see the Americans struggling against them.

Edited by LeoH037

No one expected Qatar to do well in this Gold Cup but yet they are surprising people so much so that they are in the quarter finals. Qatar being dark horses I easily believe in that now but before I didn't. I easily can see them beating El Salvador and going to the semis.

8 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

The US have called up two players into their team although so far only Zimmerman has exited the tourney due to injury (Edit - I forgot about Arriola as well):

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/cade-cowell-henry-kessler-join-usmnt-gold-cup-camp-walker-zimmerman-out-with-inj

Also heard somewhere that Mexico are bringing in Pizarro from Inter Miami to replace the injured Lozano.

I hope we aren't going to wait until the very last minute to bring someone in.

One would think Tesho would be the obvious call-up no?

or does Bair or Brym get called in to make amends for their last showing in red.