Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

19 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Honestly what is the point then? Spew your opinions to a bunch of people you don't care about?

He didn't say he doesn't care about the people here. In fact, if I recall correctly he's said in several other posts that he considers his fellow Canadian fans on here his brothers (or something to that extent). If he didn't care about the people here he wouldn't say anything at all.

Seems like you are conflating a lack of patience and/or not caring if he's liked with him not caring about other posters. 

He's just saying he's not here to make friends with his opinions. You can care about people without befriending them. 

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Pretty certain he is. Someone can confirm if they'd like. I think we need another forward with Akinola out and Akindele would fit the profile (much as I would like David or Jebbison, it's not going to happen).

I wonder if Jebbison would be more inclined to join now that he has gotten his preseason start with Sheffield Utd. He's met the manager, seen the tactics, played a friendly, has probably already nearly cemented his position (whatever that may be). Coming straight into the knockout round with an injury-depleted strikeforce might be worth the trip. Sheffield Utd might see it as valuable experience too. Doubtful but it's a possibility.

3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

If we brought in a replacement for Akinola, calling in Bustos would be a bit of a gamble (but would love to give him a chance).  Think it would more likely be Tesho as a known quantity.  
Edit: I still think we need to use those we called into the squad and see how they do.  So before Akinola’s replacement gets it, we should start Corbeanu.

The thing about Corbeanu is that he's a different player to Akinola. I imagine the replacement will be like for like, but I guess that's not necessarily true, right? 

What does this team need for the QF? Another option to hold the ball up top (Akindele) or another creative player (Bustos)? There are arguments for both. Can we call up both? Has Davies been officially replaced by Guitierrez?

3 minutes ago, frmr said:

I wonder if Jebbison would be more inclined to join now that he has gotten his preseason start with Sheffield Utd. He's met the manager, seen the tactics, played a friendly, has probably already nearly cemented his position (whatever that may be). Coming straight into the knockout round with an injury-depleted strikeforce might be worth the trip. Sheffield Utd might see it as valuable experience too. Doubtful but it's a possibility.

All good points. If I am Herdman I am ringing him up.

29 minutes ago, frmr said:

I'll never understand why so many people erroneously say "could care less". Surely it's plainly obvious that this means that you do in fact care.

I got called out for that on a Scottish Football board (Hearts) I thought it was a North American thing, I had frequently used that line, I was scolded and educated as to why it is wrong!🙂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The thing about Corbeanu is that he's a different player to Akinola. I imagine the replacement will be like for like, but I guess that's not necessarily true, right? 

What does this team need for the QF? Another option to hold the ball up top (Akindele) or another creative player (Bustos)? There are arguments for both. Can we call up both? Has Davies been officially replaced by Guitierrez?

I agree that Corbeanu is a bit different to Akinola.  If you are looking for someone a bit more creative and unknown, it would be Bustos.  But I don’t know whether he is at the required level for the Gold Cup; perhaps like Pasher.  

1 minute ago, gator said:

I got called out for that on a Scottish Football board (Hearts) I thought it was a North American thing, I had frequently used that line, I was scolded and educated as to why it is wrong!🙂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

It's technically "couldn't care less", right? That is the erroneous part of it.

At any rate he seemed to be talking about making friends, not caring about you lot in general. I am sure he'd buy you all a beer at the pub (he's said as much, I believe).

I think he'd even give @SthMelbRed a hug and a kiss.

3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I agree that Corbeanu is a bit different to Akinola.  If you are looking for someone a bit more creative and unknown, it would be Bustos.  But I don’t know whether he is at the required level for the Gold Cup; perhaps like Pasher.  

Fair enough. I think what Bustos offers is dribbling in tight space, the sort of thing which may have broken down the defensive block yesterday. I am not advocating for him per se, but I do think he should probably be considered.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

It's technically "couldn't care less", right? That is the erroneous part of it.

At any rate he seemed to be talking about making friends, not caring about you lot in general. I am sure he'd buy you all a beer at the pub (he's said as much, I believe).

I think he'd even give @SthMelbRed a hug and a kiss.

Yes!

Given Herdmans comments and how they treated the Gutierrez situation I don't believe we will call anyone else up to replace Akinola. That said he is also seriously uber competitive and we have a chance to push to the finals. An accidental injury to Pasher in training and Davies and David get added 😛  

So harsh on Pasher. looking forward to seeing more of him!

As good as this roster rule change is for us, it still has that CONCACAF smell to it in my opinion. That smell can come off if people can tell me which teams other than Haiti have lost players due to COVID. That's the only one I am aware of (obviously not counting Curacao). It seems more like it's a "let's get replacements for Chucky Lozano, Zimmerman, and Akinola" rule change. Yes, I threw Akinola in there too because of Montagliani's influence.

Please tell me there are teams that made it to the knockout round that have players out due to COVID, so that it doesn't have to feel so slimey.

Either way, we should try David first, Jebbison second, I guess Akindele third. Jebbison would be fun and everything, but it reminds me of bringing Larin in after his suspension in a do or die match (if I remember that right). David has experience with the squad so I'm thinking he could jump into the lineup easier than Jebbison (plus David is just a better player at this point).

18 minutes ago, Kent said:

As good as this roster rule change is for us, it still has that CONCACAF smell to it in my opinion. That smell can come off if people can tell me which teams other than Haiti have lost players due to COVID. That's the only one I am aware of (obviously not counting Curacao). It seems more like it's a "let's get replacements for Chucky Lozano, Zimmerman, and Akinola" rule change. Yes, I threw Akinola in there too because of Montagliani's influence.

Please tell me there are teams that made it to the knockout round that have players out due to COVID, so that it doesn't have to feel so slimey.

Either way, we should try David first, Jebbison second, I guess Akindele third. Jebbison would be fun and everything, but it reminds me of bringing Larin in after his suspension in a do or die match (if I remember that right). David has experience with the squad so I'm thinking he could jump into the lineup easier than Jebbison (plus David is just a better player at this point).

Don't disagree with anything you wrote but I remember Jamaica having a scare.  Didn't I read somewhere that Reid tested positive?

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

Wheeler saying "it sounds" like both Larin and Akinola will miss the remainder of the Gold Cup.

He didnt go deeper than that so not sure what it's based on

Yikes. Larin getting hurt will not be good for a potential transfer. 

Herdman will have to do his due diligence and atleast call Jebbison and David’s agent