The Road to Qatar.

Binky

Since the 2-1 Mexico win over Bermuda win has been noted a number of times but the context has been left out.

A month earlier Mexico beat Bermuda 5-1 in Nations League in Bermuda. Only 3 Mexican players from this win played in the 2-1 win since they had already clinched first. So, it was basically at least a Bish Mexican team. Mexico still had 76% possession and 26 shots with 8 on goal.

Match reports said most exciting part of the second half of the second match was an orange cat on the pitch. 

Edited by red card

1 hour ago, Alex said:

When nhl teams arrived in Toronto and Edmonton they did not arrive and quarantine in Canada 2 weeks prior to playing. They had to test negative a certain amount of times before they got here. 

Can we do this when we host Honduras (and spike the tests for their best players)?

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Yup, exactly. I can see some governments making exceptions, especially in the football-mad countries. 

That excludes us though, unfortunately.😔

yah we may not have the numbers but most footie fans in Canada are in urban centers. So we got that going for us. Fingers crossed

Not to start the location debate. Im just circling that potential early 2021 Haiti game for BC Place. Mainly because weather and BC Place being indoor. That's me personally hoping

Edited by SpursFlu

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I may not have been clear in my original post but I think that sort of approach would fall under the host country coming up with an arrangement that works.   All I am saying is that the onus is on the host country to make arrangements that work for all involved or forfeit.  

I don't think it is actually. We have plenty of cases where Fifa, or through the regional federations, accepts an exceptional circumstance and does not force a host to forfeit, quite the contrary: the rival is instructed to agree to an alternative. If a hurricane hit Surinam and damaged the stadium, or if there was a war situation, or this pandemic, provision is made. You are not forced to forfeit. 

3 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Could we get through the first round games with a North American players only squad? I think so. 

Cavalini Akindele
Osorio Kaye
Piette Tiebert
Gutierrez Cornelius Jakovic Laryea
Crepeau

Bair Pasher
Edwards Fraser Bekker Tabla
DeJong Miller Didic Zator
Carducci, Hasal

Probably could but there’s no point too. Clubs aren’t allowed to stop players playing for the national team during international breaks. So except if all our euro players come down with “injuries“ just before the break, they’ll be there.

Edited by SkuseisLoose

I think it will be the return quarantine that makes all this unlikely.  It is one thing (not easy, but possible) for the single host country to make arrangements for players coming in.  There is experience of that working with the bubbles for teams.  It is quite another to get Canada, Germany, UK, France, Turkey, USA, Serbia, Portugal, etc. to all agree to accept individual players returning and to be on the same page, particularly given the variable ways that Covid pops up in different places at different times.

37 minutes ago, kacbru said:

I think it will be the return quarantine that makes all this unlikely.  It is one thing (not easy, but possible) for the single host country to make arrangements for players coming in.  There is experience of that working with the bubbles for teams.  It is quite another to get Canada, Germany, UK, France, Turkey, USA, Serbia, Portugal, etc. to all agree to accept individual players returning and to be on the same page, particularly given the variable ways that Covid pops up in different places at different times.

That is why I am pretty confident this is not going to happen in October or even November. Asia already binned it for then. Do you think CONMEBOL is going to go ahead in October with no Messi and no Neymar among the 100s of other players these sides have in Europe. Yes, firms are required to release their players but the players won’t go if they have to quarantine when back for two weeks. 

People talking about just doing this in a bubble in January have to realize that probably means no Davies, David, Arfield, or any other player that is in season. To play in a bubble even if you don’t need to quarantine before the tourney you would still need at least 2 weeks to get the 4 games in and several places would probably require a quarantine when getting back, especially if the tourney is in a risky country like the USA is at the moment. Yes, teams need to release players for FIFA windows, but I don’t see how 4 games will be fit into a FIFA window. They would have to add another double sized window before the one they already made in June next year.

32 minutes ago, Kent said:

People talking about just doing this in a bubble in January have to realize that probably means no Davies, David, Arfield, or any other player that is in season. To play in a bubble even if you don’t need to quarantine before the tourney you would still need at least 2 weeks to get the 4 games in and several places would probably require a quarantine when getting back, especially if the tourney is in a risky country like the USA is at the moment. Yes, teams need to release players for FIFA windows, but I don’t see how 4 games will be fit into a FIFA window. They would have to add another double sized window before the one they already made in June next year.

That's a good point.

It may have to be done as a replacement for the Gold Cup.

I'm glad we are able to have this conversation about our new road to the World Cup, I will just wait and see what happens with the virus and social gatherings and how they affect our government's and other governments  policy on cross border travel, this will be challenging at best IMHO!

I don’t understand why they just don’t have a hub cities for each group? Fans are not going to be able to see most of the games anyways. For example Canada’s group they could go too Montreal. There’s two stadiums there and right beside each other. They can get all the games done for that window. They can just test players like they are doing in pro sports and keep things on lockdown. 

4 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Aren’t there a bunch of vaccines that are close to finishing human trials. Surely athletes would be one of the firsts to get them.

They are still talking about a 2 year window before an effective vaccine can be rolled out broadly - and even them they are cautioning against people thinking it is a silver bullet.  It may be the type that just reduces severity. 

As for your last sentence, I wouldn’t overestimate the importance of sport in the grand scheme of things.  There are lots of essential workers that would make a strong case for prioritization ahead of a group of guys who are good at kicking an inflated ball into a net. 

Edited by dyslexic nam

Seen Canada's group and honestly this is probably as good a group as Canada is gonna get...all they have to do is win this group and they get to the Octagonal. Pretty much an easy draw if you think about it. 

Canada, Suriname, Cayman Islands, Aruba and Bermuda...come on...if Canada cannot dominate this group, then they have no business getting to the Octagonal 

• Admin locked this topic