The Road to Qatar.

Binky

6 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Seen Canada's group and honestly this is probably as good a group as Canada is gonna get...all they have to do is win this group and they get to the Octagonal. Pretty much an easy draw if you think about it. 

Canada, Suriname, Cayman Islands, Aruba and Bermuda...come on...if Canada cannot dominate this group, then they have no business getting to the Octagonal 

They also need to face the winner of Haiti's group. The winner of that knock out round makes the Octo.

6 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Aren’t there a bunch of vaccines that are close to finishing human trials. Surely athletes would be one of the firsts to get them.

I can see it now. “Back of the line nurses, doctors, police officers, truckers, grocery store workers, people at high risk of dying of the disease. This Cayman Islands soccer player has a game coming up, he is going first.”

17 minutes ago, narduch said:

They also need to face the winner of Haiti's group. The winner of that knock out round makes the Octo.

Then that's cool but Haiti, Nicaragua, Belize, St. Lucia and Turks and Caicos Islands...that group it is obvious Haiti is taking that group

Edited by TGAA_Star
X

4 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Then that's cool but Haiti, Nicaragua, Belize, St. Lucia and Turks and Caicos Islands...that group it is obvious Haiti is taking that group

Its not totally for sure. Nicaragua is capable of upsetting Haiti.

But for sure Haiti are favourites

Edited by narduch

1 hour ago, narduch said:

They are already doing that with the testing.

Not sure about your province, but there are lots of tests being conducted on those that need them here in PEI.  the extra tests being used for the CPL are not preventing necessary tests of essential workers.  

Prioritizing athletes to receive a new and potentially scarce (at the outset) vaccine  is a whole other situation.  

11 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not sure about your province, but there are lots of tests being conducted on those that need them here in PEI.  the extra tests being used for the CPL are not preventing necessary tests of essential workers.  

Prioritizing athletes to receive a new and potentially scarce (at the outset) vaccine  is a whole other situation.  

It depends on jurisdiction to jurisdiction. I was thinking of outside Canada as well.

I'm more worried about anti vaxxers refusing to take the vaccine than giving preference to athletes 

Edited by narduch

11 minutes ago, narduch said:

It depends on jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

I'm more worried about anti vaxxers refusing to take the vaccine than giving preference to athletes 

I am more worried about taking a vaccine that has been rushed and not properly tested than I am about what someone else does. 

17 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don't see prioritizing athletes being a logistical issue. A moral issue? Sure, but pro athletes account for a tiny, minuscule proportion of the population. There are not enough of them to cause a problem.

Edited by Obinna

If a vaccine is approved and released in Canada I guarantee they took all the proper precautions to make sure it’s safe. I have faith in our ability as people to figure out how to overcome this adversity. We will figure it out. I also have faith these games will be played, maybe not with fans but there’s many people behind the scenes and too much on the line to have it fail. 

The thing that makes me so unsure these games will happen is that I haven’t heard any FA say they have talked to their government and the games will be allowed. CONCACAF made no mentions of discussions with governments either. Maybe these discussions have happened, but I would feel a lot more optimistic if I was at least told they happened.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I can see it now. “Back of the line nurses, doctors, police officers, truckers, grocery store workers, people at high risk of dying of the disease. This Cayman Islands soccer player has a game coming up, he is going first.”

I meant more that the players could pay out of pocket for them not that they’d be prioritized over frontline workers. Obviously wouldn’t be true of players for smaller countries.

Edited by SkuseisLoose

27 minutes ago, Alex said:

If a vaccine is approved and released in Canada I guarantee they took all the proper precautions to make sure it’s safe. I have faith in our ability as people to figure out how to overcome this adversity. We will figure it out. I also have faith these games will be played, maybe not with fans but there’s many people behind the scenes and too much on the line to have it fail. 

I have no doubt they'll do what they can to ensure the vaccine is as safe as possible. There is also an urgent need to get this out asap, so a balance must be struck. Considering this is something completely new, I would personally feel safer if they go above and beyond with testing, even if that means we have to wait longer for it. 

21 minutes ago, Kent said:

The thing that makes me so unsure these games will happen is that I haven’t heard any FA say they have talked to their government and the games will be allowed. CONCACAF made no mentions of discussions with governments either. Maybe these discussions have happened, but I would feel a lot more optimistic if I was at least told they happened.

I think the games will happen, but I expect they'll be hiccups along the way for sure. In some way, shape or form they'll take place.

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Damn that’s impressive and I’m jealous. Wonder what his salary is. 

I have a feeling he's doing this as one last career challenge in retirement because there's no way Curacao could afford him.  He's 73 years old and doesn't need money. 

Their manager for the 2018 campaign was none other than Patrick Kluivert who did it as a passion project.  He jump started the recruitment of Dutch players.   

Happy for them! Good hire for the region, even if it makes our job harder in the Octagon, should we get there.

Maybe this opens the door to him managing an MLS club in the future. Not that I think he's positioning himself for it with this move, but it would be a step in that direction perhaps.

12 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I have a feeling he's doing this as one last career challenge in retirement because there's no way Curacao could afford him.  He's 73 years old and doesn't need money. 

Their manager for the 2018 campaign was none other than Patrick Kluivert who did it as a passion project.  He jump started the recruitment of Dutch players.   

Didn't realize he was that old...

Umm...maybe he wouldn't want to manage a club in MLS. I don't think many 73 year old's would fancy isolating in a bubble down in Florida lol

A little late to the party here lads.. While this is essentially the toughest draw we could've got, absolutely no reason we do not go undefeated in this group. Whoever we face in the final playoff will be tough, but once again, if we can't come out of this unscathed, no reason we should be in the ocho let alone a World Cup. I echo the concerns of alot of our top Euro based players having troubles getting to these games due to travel restrictions, I can only hope that this was thought out or CSA/CONCACAF has a plan in place. Nevertheless, im thinking our domestic squad should still be strong enough to get us at least to the playoff. Im just ready to see our lads play some footy again! Here we go boys!

• Admin locked this topic