The Road to Qatar.

Binky

6 minutes ago, Redpunkfiddle said:

Did they say if there was a structure for the rest of the Octo schedule based on that first matchday draw?

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/08/18/fifa-world-cup-qatar-2022-concacaf-qualifying-match-schedule-and-results

For everyone that wants to check, if we make it the Honduras away match is matchday 9, not matchday 14. So we got that going for us.

My goodness, if you were telling me we just had to finish 1st in a group with us and these 3 minows to get into the hex I would have been thrilled.

How can we possibly be worried about any of these teams and discuss having a chance to make a World Cup in the same breath?

If we drop any points at all some serious questions should be asked, if we lose time to find a new HC.

Hell, we shouldn't even be worried about Haiti.

8 minutes ago, Razcal said:

My goodness, if you were telling me we just had to finish 1st in a group with us and these 3 minows to get into the hex I would have been thrilled.

How can we possibly be worried about any of these teams and discuss having a chance to make a World Cup in the same breath?

If we drop any points at all some serious questions should be asked, if we lose time to find a new HC.

Hell, we shouldn't even be worried about Haiti.

I agree with this in spirit. The reality is that we dropped the ball against Haiti before. The apprehension is justified. 

Bermuda has pulled some good results off. Good news is that we'll be at home. Bad news is Bermuda has particularly done well on the road.

Suriname could be as good as Curacao, but we don't know that. It depends on who shows up. 

For the neutral this must be the group to watch, with arguably the 3 best teams from pots 1, 2 and 3. Then you have a Dutch rivalry with Aruba and Suriname, with the possibility of those teams calling on the motherland for players.   

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

Looking at what teams players play for doesn't work in CONCACAF.

We've seen how meh the clubs were that Haiti players were at but collectively they were excellent and beat us at the GC. I'm not taking any of these games for granted.

"....My Bayern Munich beats your Galatasaray"

I'm not sure if any of you caught this part but at the end of the presentation they were going over who they thought the final 3 spots would go to. As in, who they thought would finish top 3 in the "Octogonal". Not a single person mentioned Canada, not even as a dark horse. That pissed me off. 

I hope that the players heard that at the end and it lit a fire underneath them. We have the talent to come top 3, I believe in them and I hope that everyone on this board believes in them but more importantly I hope that the players believe in themselves. This really is a strong Canadian team. 

10 minutes ago, One American said:

Have the Wikipedia ringers for Suriname actually committed to play for them? I see a lot of zero caps on most or all of the scary ones. 

It does look like they have a couple of Israeli league players already in the fold. 

In that list from the other thread I made, some yes, some no.

Even fot the "yes" 's I'm not sure how much beyond a verbal agreement (I don't know which have actually finished filing one-time switches and how many have their Suriname passport).

• Admin locked this topic