The Road to Qatar.

Binky

38 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

If any Canadian MLS team knowingly sabotages our WCQ campaign by not releasing domestic players, I would hope there would be strong and unified action against them by anyone who supports the CMNT.  That would absolutely end my support for them.  

I agree although speaking from a TFC perspective a good portion of the fanbase don't care!

1 hour ago, gator said:

The prospect of an all CPL side looms.

This possibility makes me nervous. However we do have some veteran guys that I wouldn't mind calling back into the squad like Ledgerwood, Bekker, De jong, and Edgar. If this was to happen, I wouldn't be worried about Herdman saying the right things to get the most out of what he has to use. 

6 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

So we have gone from being in the Group of death and having serious concerns about Bermuda and Suriname to being confident that we can win our group with a domestic squad or even one with all CPL players?

Suriname wouldn’t be able to call those recent recruits like Donk and Biseswar. They would be hurt more than anyone.

In the scenario all of our MLS players are in the United States come October...

How likely is it that our government would grant our players an exemption? What if they can demonstrate they are covid-19 free by repeatedly testing negative for a certain period of time (say 2 weeks)?

They are already having to test every 2 days for MLS purposes, right?  

Edit: That would not work, because the risk of travel through the airport is not accounted for.

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Our government made our CPL players quarantine before and after arriving in another PROVINCE, I don't think there will be any exceptions made for anyone coming from the utter mess below. Reality is you can catch Covid in transit. 

Yup. Just thought of that right before I saw your comment. Very true.

Just now, Shway said:

I do wonder if JH watches every CPL game, because he'll need to start making a list. 

We should count our blessings that we even have CPL. Imagine this scenario without a domestic league. 

Also, JH should consider a combined Cavalry-Forge. Maybe sprinkle in a few standouts from the other clubs. It is actually kind of fun to ponder how such a team would fare, but at the same time kind of scary to think it may be a real possibility. 

17 minutes ago, Shway said:

Our government made our CPL players quarantine before and after arriving in another PROVINCE, I don't think there will be any exceptions made for anyone coming from the utter mess below. Reality is you can catch Covid in transit. 

Provincial of Federal?

The Voyageurs Cup final is supposedly taking place right after the Island Games, which would keep at least one of the Canadian MLS teams in Canada. Given the timing, I can see the CSA scheduling the V Cup final a week prior to the October international break, so that might solve this problem.

In this scenario, all three CDN MLS teams would remain in Canada as they wouldn't be able to know who will collect the most points ahead of time. They'd all head to the U.S. for phase 2 after the October break.

Of course, that doesn't help us in November, nor does it allow the likes of Kaye, Jakovic, Tesho, Miller, etc. to join the MNT without a 2-week quarantine.

6 minutes ago, RS said:

The Voyageurs Cup final is supposedly taking place right after the Island Games, which would keep at least one of the Canadian MLS teams in Canada. Given the timing, I can see the CSA scheduling the V Cup final a week prior to the October international break, so that might solve this problem.

In this scenario, all three CDN MLS teams would remain in Canada as they wouldn't be able to know who will collect the most points ahead of time. They'd all head to the U.S. for phase 2 after the October break.

Of course, that doesn't help us in November, nor does it allow the likes of Kaye, Jakovic, Tesho, Miller, etc. to join the MNT without a 2-week quarantine.

Again, good thinking.

Even if we have trouble getting those US-based MLSers, that is a much better scenario for us. 

Edit: If Toronto runs the table on Vancouver and Montreal, things could be decided early, unfortunately.. 

Edited by Obinna

Thinking out loud here, but now's a good a time as any for Akinola to file those one-time switch papers. He'll not have a better opportunity to start for Canada (if the European and U.S. based players aren't allowed to return).

Even if he were to back Cavallini up, he's still much higher up the depth chart without David, Larin and Akindele in the fold.

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

If Toronto runs the table on Vancouver and Montreal, things could be decided early, unfortunately.

Even if that happens, there's no reason for those teams to head to the U.S. early if Phase 2 starts after the October break. VWFC and TFC both delayed their flights to Orlando for MLS is Back, only IMFC went early (due to provincial restrictions on training at the time).

I can see the CDN teams waiting until the last possible moment again to travel to the U.S.

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

Has CPL announced the date for their final? I haven't seen it.

Also the bottom 4 teams would finish playing  September 6.

Perhaps the called up players could begin a training bubble in Toronto following the end of the CPL season.

TFC's final game of this phase is Sept. 9, VWFC and IMFC play each other Sept. 16. There's going to be a lot of players just sitting around for a month under the current circumstances (Vs Cup aside).

It could be ripe for an extended domestic MNT training camp.

12 minutes ago, RS said:

No one is accounting for the Bermudans with all this talk of our own team. How are they going to come in and quarantine for 2 weeks?

They're not. So all of this talk is moot IMO and we would be better off finding a neutral location. 

Wild thought - Saint-Pierre and Miquelon?

25 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

No one is accounting for the Bermudans with all this talk of our own team. How are they going to come in and quarantine for 2 weeks?

They're not. So all of this talk is moot IMO and we would be better off finding a neutral location. 

Wild thought - Saint-Pierre and Miquelon?

Whoah. That’s considered Europe no? What about Guadeloupe and Martinique?? 

49 minutes ago, Obinna said:

---------Haber(Babouli)-------

Aird--------Bekker-----Bustos

---Ledgerwood--Adekugbe---

Awuah--Didic--Edgar--Zator

------------Carducci----------

Nanco, Petrasso, Campbell, Abzi, Pasquotti, De Jong, Doner, Gasparotto, Ingham

Not a bad looking lineup as long as other countries are using domestics!

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I don’t think this is entirely accurate.  AFAIK, the feds didn’t initiate these requirements.   This was done by PEI as the receiving jurisdiction - and one that has been very cautious in its approach to COVID.  

• Admin locked this topic