The Road to Qatar.

Binky

2 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

Sorry if this has already been answered but can someone tell me when the first window for these games will be? 

Our first matches are Oct. 8 and 11.

The match on the 11th is away to Cayman Islands. A country that currently has shut its borders to non nationals.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Our first matches are Oct. 8 and 11.

The match on the 11th is away to Cayman Islands. A country that currently has shut its borders to non nationals.

I wonder, under the current circumstances, if countries will be give 2 choices: figure out how to make it work as a host country or forfeit.  Cayman shutting down its borders is an example where they are making a public health choice (which they have every right to do) bug where they may be forced to live with the consequences of that choice (including non-participation in applicable sporting events).  

48 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

BIngo. Haiti is probably the best match up we could have got besides T&T. I don't care about the Gold Cup loss - we were clearly a class above and dropped the ball.

Which brings up my ongoing concern, Herdman, I still don't trust him to have the right strategies and lineup, he has done fine vs minnows though!

14 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I wonder, under the current circumstances, if countries will be give 2 choices: figure out how to make it work as a host country or forfeit.  Cayman shutting down its borders is an example where they are making a public health choice (which they have every right to do) bug where they may be forced to live with the consequences of that choice (including non-participation in applicable sporting events).  

The flipside of that is Canada currently might force our opponent to quarantine for 14 days first for our home games. That really wouldn't work either.

Edited by narduch

9 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

I’m very interested to hear about the contingency plans for the pre-Octagonal rounds. There is no way things are going to go as planned. 

My prediction is that this ends up being played as a bubble tournament at a neutral location. Perhaps in January 

The other thing is France and Germany are making people do a 2 week quarantine upon entering.

WCQ would be a joke if you weren't allowed to dress a full squad. 

No matter how much you may consider these nations minnows.

Edited by narduch

26 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

How is this post not applicable to Canada? 

16 minutes ago, narduch said:

The flipside of that is Canada currently might force our opponent to quarantine for 14 days first for our home games. That really wouldn't work either.

Or it is a bubble approach.  I guess my post is suggesting that the onus could be on the host country to figure out a way to make it work in a way that is viable for the visiting team. 

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

How is this post not applicable to Canada? 

It would be.  We would need to come up with an approach that works for the visitors while protecting public health here in Canada.  Under the new COVID normal, I don’t see an alternative.  It’s. It like FIFA/CONCACAF are experts in public health or can force governments to open their borders to incoming international teams.  All they can do is schedule the necessary games/dates.  The qualifying tournament takes a certain amount time so I don’t really see an alternative.  

58 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Or neutral venue?

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Or neutral venue?

I may not have been clear in my original post but I think that sort of approach would fall under the host country coming up with an arrangement that works.   All I am saying is that the onus is on the host country to make arrangements that work for all involved or forfeit.  

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

I may not have been clear in my original post but I think that sort of approach would fall under the host country coming up with an arrangement that works.   All I am saying is that the onus is on the host country to make arrangements that work for all involved or forfeit.  

Gotcha. I don't agree with the forfeit part though. They (cayman and/or concacaf) will find a solution, probably a neutral venue on some nearby island.

• Admin locked this topic