The Road to Qatar.

Binky

24 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Having played soccer in Newfoundland for most of my life, I can tell you that a grass field will not hold up well that late into the year. It rains a lot in Newfoundland. If you are playing in mid-November you are really pushing the limit. 

(looks at climate data). Good grief, it does rain a lot there! Make's England look like a desert!

6 hours ago, nfitz said:

Aruba is a problem though - it has the highest recent Covid rate in the world. I don't see how Canada can play them in November, without them quarantining first, no matter where the game is played. https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart/?areas=can&areas=sur&areas=bmu&areas=abw&areasRegional=usny&areasRegional=usca&areasRegional=usfl&areasRegional=ustx&cumulative=0&logScale=0&perMillion=1&values=cases

Though Aruba is small ... and could drop quickly. They are currently averaging about 70 new cases a day ... similar to Quebec. But Quebec has a population of 8.5 million and Aruba has only about 100,000.

image.png

Aruba played their Nations League matches in Curacao. Their home stadium looks to have lights but maybe not good enough for tv. So it means they can play in Curacao again if they can't control covid.

Supposedly, a Watford forward named Something or Other Gray is working on his Jamaica passport.Guy has had modest EPL success but scored 20 goals in the C-Ship twice. 

The latest English roster had Jamaica-eligible Mason Greenwood (ManU) and Kalin Phillips (Leeds United) on it. It was missing other relatively high-profile EPLers that are rumored to be Jamaica targets. Mason Holgate of Everton, Reece James of Chelsea, Maitland-Niles of Arsenal. Laird, the ManU 19 year old. and Demarai Gray of Leicester. At least a few of those purportedly met with Southgate. So it's interesting they aren't on the roster. Make of it what you will. 

It looks like Jamaica will at least add a few yo-yo team-level players to their roster. Possibly better. 

Sorry to bear  the bad news. 

The good news is that it's mainly message board rumor at this point. 

3 hours ago, One American said:

Supposedly, a Watford forward named Something or Other Gray is working on his Jamaica passport.Guy has had modest EPL success but scored 20 goals in the C-Ship twice. 

The latest English roster had Jamaica-eligible Mason Greenwood (ManU) and Kalin Phillips (Leeds United) on it. It was missing other relatively high-profile EPLers that are rumored to be Jamaica targets. Mason Holgate of Everton, Reece James of Chelsea, Maitland-Niles of Arsenal. Laird, the ManU 19 year old. and Demarai Gray of Leicester. At least a few of those purportedly met with Southgate. So it's interesting they aren't on the roster. Make of it what you will. 

It looks like Jamaica will at least add a few yo-yo team-level players to their roster. Possibly better. 

Sorry to bear  the bad news. 

The good news is that it's mainly message board rumor at this point. 

You already rolled out your hypothetical list of English players you claim are potentially going to rock up for Jamaica a week, or two, ago. It's as much bullshit today as it was then. Even if Greenwood, Phillips, Holgate, James, or Maitland-Niles don't get into the England team over the next 2-4 years, they won't be jumping to Jamaica for this cycle, or probably not even next cycle. Andre Gray, an ageing, marginal Premier League bench player with a very questionable personal history, isn't going to greatly increase the Reggae Boyz prospects.

Anyone know if Michail Antonio is capped tied by England?. Jamaica did go with a heavy England based squad in the 2015 GC/ Copa?  Seemed to move away from that strategy and had success in subsequent Gold Cups. There's no doubt they have a bounty of strong players in England  who may jump if Jamaica qualify for 2022

Yea @One American you’re guessing stupidly. As someone who follows the Jamaican team, none of those guys are legit options. They tried Troy Deeney and his response was basically why would I play for a country that I have no connection to, I’ve never been there. This could be the very same feeling for a lot of those players you mentioned.

The only realistic options who have actually spoken about joining the reggae boys and would definitely strengthen their pool is Ravel Morrison, Rolando Aarons, Kemar Roofe, Chey Dunkley, and Michael Antonio. However the majority of them are attackers, and they already boast Bailey, Reid, and Nicholson.

The senses is that they prefer to use the local guys vs begging/lotioning the UB40 players who have loose ties to join.

7 hours ago, One American said:

Where did you read/source this?

I believe it’s Andre Gray he’s referring to.  But he played for England U-23 I believe when he was 22-23 y/o.  I don’t think he’d be aloud to switch under those new rules, unless the u-23 doesn’t apply.  Not sure

It is the same story with Jamaica every cycle. On the eve of qualifying you get all these rumors about English players joining. For every 5 player rumored, 1 joins, and it is usually the least scary one. 

Remember the rumors about Raheem Sterling a few cycles ago?

Even Junior Hoilett did not join Jamaica.

What the Reggae Boyz decide to do is their business. Our business is reaching the Octagon. Once we are there we can discuss, and besides by then it will be more clear who joins them and who does not.

Any new additions is bad news for everybody, not just Canada, so I am not sure why One American is bringing it to us as if it is bad news for Canada specifically.

...maybe because he feels Canada and Jamaica are vying for spots 3 & 4, which is true, but the USA is not a lock for spots 1 or 2. 

The only team close to a lock is Mexico at no. 1.

USA, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Canada, and Honduras all capable of landing anywhere from 2-6 spot. For all these teams a strong Jamaica is bad news. Mexico are untouchable right now, they will qualify handily. 

Edited by Obinna

4 hours ago, Weng said:

I believe it’s Andre Gray he’s referring to.  But he played for England U-23 I believe when he was 22-23 y/o.  I don’t think he’d be aloud to switch under those new rules, unless the u-23 doesn’t apply.  Not sure

He’s never played for England, and was always eligible for Jamaica. Point of the matter is, there’s no source - so dont make sheit up.

9 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Anyone know if Michail Antonio is capped tied by England?.

No.  Pulled out with an injury when he was called up during his last spectacular run of form and sat on the bench during Allardyce's cup of coffee as England manager.  

Said no to Jamaica a little before that (2016?)

Hopefully nothing changes. 

It is bad news for the USMNT. I'm anticipating at least a few dudes on yo-yo teams..

Gray has scored 20 goals in the Championship twice, IIRC from his profile. That would make him a starter on most CONCACAF teams. We'll see what he has left in the tank. 

Just posting it for information and discussion. 

Starting to see guys in European national teams dropping out due to COVID.

I see no way they play qualifying matches in North America this year, at least with European players.  Its nothing short of idiotic to let them cross the ocean.

Edited by theaub

2 minutes ago, theaub said:

I see no way they play qualifying matches in North America this year, at least with European players.  Its nothing short of idiotic to let them cross the ocean.

My money is still on the entire World Cup being pushed back 1 year or 2.

The only way the original date can be salvaged is if covid subsides and the qualifying happens at single location tournaments. There won't be enough time for a traditional type qualifying.

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

My money is still on the entire World Cup being pushed back 1 year or 2.

The only way the original date can be salvaged is if covid subsides and the qualifying happens at single location tournaments. There won't be enough time for a traditional type qualifying.

I have to agree. I’m surprised at the level of optimism (naïveté) shown by the federations.

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

I have to agree. I’m surprised at the level of optimism (naïveté) shown by the federations.

October 8 is about 6 weeks away. What makes people think traveling to Cayman Islands for a 1 off match then heading straight back to Canada is feasible?

And if 1 single Euro based player can't  travel due to restrictions the entire thing should be called off.

26 minutes ago, theaub said:

Its not even guys pulling out. There are positive tests too!

They managed to get the CL in but it is looking like the upcoming season will also have disruptions.

Uefa has already been disqualifying teams in the CL qualifying rounds if they have covid issues. But nobody cares because they are teams from countries like Kosovo.

They won't disqualify big name teams. They will delay the event 

Edited by narduch

It's looking like a FIFA suspension is likely for Trinidad.  William Wallace is not backing down (insert Mel Gibson joke)

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2020/08/27/fifa-issues-deadline-warning-trinidad-wallace-issues-threats/

It says that Trinidad would only forfeit missed WCQ games rather than be immediately eliminated.  However, any forfeited match would likely end their chances

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

It's looking like a FIFA suspension is likely for Trinidad.  William Wallace is not backing down (insert Mel Gibson joke)

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2020/08/27/fifa-issues-deadline-warning-trinidad-wallace-issues-threats/

It says that Trinidad would only forfeit missed WCQ games rather than be immediately eliminated.  However, any forfeited match would likely end their chances

Seems to me that this would be pretty unfair. Say they forfeit to Guyana and Puerto Rico but then beat St Kitts. That puts St Kitts in a really tough spot and it really isn’t their fault.

13 hours ago, Floortom said:

I suspect a year as then World Cup qualifying can start next autumn in the same format we have now (or perhaps in the summer of 2021). By next autumn, I think the likelihood of a vaccine is pretty high and I suspect the Olympics will be held in August next year probably with the athletes, support staff and possibly foreign fans (especially family members) having been vaccinated. 

Asia has already binned the autumn qualifying and I just don’t see it happening in South America with or without European players in spite of what the federation is currently saying as cases are spiking again in many countries there.  Europe doesn’t start until March so there is much more flexibility there but they will just be coming out of the winter and I highly suspect the caseload will be very high then with no vaccine readily available. 

They could move to mini tournaments possibly next summer as you can’t play those in a 2 match window but that conflicts with regional championships like the Euros and Gold Cup so I don’t see that happening. And summer of 2022 is just too late. Plus I think it starts to undermine the legitimacy of qualifying if you compromise it too much. I think you can get away with what Concacaf is doing in the early rounds as no one really cares about the minnows globally (and I include Canada in that) but having a Brazil or Germany miss out as they lose a single match against a Peru or Ireland in a mini-tournament is just too great a risk. 

• Admin locked this topic