The Road to Qatar.

Binky

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t think this is entirely accurate.  AFAIK, the feds didn’t initiate these requirements.   This was done by PEI as the receiving jurisdiction - and one that has been very cautious in its approach to COVID.  

That is what I suspected.

Edited by Obinna

I suspect most of the games will be in the Caribbean or the United States. The Caribbean is basically open for business. But I like the idea of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon. Also it could help grown the game there. More nations playing the better. 

I understand why we Canada have a border closed but honestly they’re ways to slowly open it and do it safely. They just don’t want to put the time, money and person power to do it. In my view the Canadian government and CSA should be going to FIFA and Concacaf saying let’s do a hub city like in Montreal. They have two Stadiums right beside each other. Book a bunch of hotels or one huge hotel and have all the games for group. If they are here we’ll be able to control the testing and have qualified medical personal and equipment to handle anything. 

Edited by SpecialK

14 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I suspect most of the games will be in the Caribbean or the United States. The Caribbean is basically open for business. But I like the idea of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon. Also it could help grown the game there. More nations playing the better. 

Aruba is a problem though - it has the highest recent Covid rate in the world. I don't see how Canada can play them in November, without them quarantining first, no matter where the game is played. https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart/?areas=can&areas=sur&areas=bmu&areas=abw&areasRegional=usny&areasRegional=usca&areasRegional=usfl&areasRegional=ustx&cumulative=0&logScale=0&perMillion=1&values=cases

Though Aruba is small ... and could drop quickly. They are currently averaging about 70 new cases a day ... similar to Quebec. But Quebec has a population of 8.5 million and Aruba has only about 100,000.

image.png

Edited by nfitz

42 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I understand why we Canada have a border closed but honestly they’re ways to slowly open it and do it safely. They just don’t want to put the time, money and person power to do it. In my view the Canadian government and CSA should be going to FIFA and Concacaf saying let’s do a hub city like in Montreal. They have two Stadiums right beside each other. Book a bunch of hotels or one huge hotel and have all the games for group. If they are here we’ll be able to control the testing and have qualified medical personal and equipment to handle anything. 

I am guessing you have no real grasp of the amount of time, effort and money that health officials at every level have been putting into the fight against COVID.

12 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am guessing you have no real grasp of the amount of time, effort and money that health officials at every level have been putting into the fight against COVID.

Oh you are so wrong. My three sisters are all in the health care field, a Paramedic , a firefighter and Nurse. I know full well what goes into it. But other countries who have bigger populations and even more cases are opening out slowly and they are able to do it because of technology and testing and screening at airports, train station and ports etc . So that’s more money and more people. Also one of the reasons they are not opening is because they didn’t close it early and got hit hard by it . So now they are going to be super cautious, also the Americans/trump will have a baby if we open up to others and not the USA. 

28 minutes ago, RS said:

It's "wasting," by the way. It's the thing you do with all our time whenever you post your COVID takes in here.

it wasn't a covid take. It was a waisting our money take but since you didn't catch that says a lot. Sorry to waist your time

Edited by SpursFlu

4 hours ago, Alex said:

Whoah. That’s considered Europe no? What about Guadeloupe and Martinique?? 

Saint Pierre and Miquelon applied to be a CONCACAF member last year, and they're on track be approved by late 2021, which is still a little late to play there.

Guadeloupe and Martinique are French Overseas Territories, but they aren't part of the Schengen Area. So they might have a different policy towards letting people enter compared to the EU. I don't actually know, but if so, maybe CONCACAF can negotiate having neutral games there.

Just now, Trois Reds said:

Saint Pierre and Miquelon applied to be a CONCACAF member last year, and they're on track be approved by late 2021, which is still a little late to play there.

Guadeloupe and Martinique are French Overseas Territories, but they aren't part of the Schengen Area. So they might have a different policy towards letting people enter compared to the EU. I don't actually know, but if so, maybe CONCACAF can negotiate having neutral games there.

I have played against some pretty decent teams from that place over the years. They often send their youth and senior teams to Newfoundland for games. It would be interesting to see how they would fare in concacaf as a national team. 

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I think you meant to say waisting 

Saving thousands if not tens of thousands of lives is wasting money?!?

How does that make any sense? Or is this some bizarre play on "waist" that I don't get ... because surely no one is actually fucked in the head enough to think that we've wasted money fighting covid!

13 minutes ago, Trois Reds said:

Many people go to and from Newfoundland every year. I imagine the border is pretty tight now though.

Even with a tight boarder, I can imagine a lot of Newfoundlanders making a fuss if people from all over the world start landing on their doorstep for international soccer. There is a pretty big paranoia about Covid. Most do not want the Atlantic bubble to open up.

Edited by Obinna

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Also, good luck playing there in the November window. I do not believe they have a turf field.

St. Pierre has warmer winters than Toronto, and much less extreme lows. Why can't you play on grass in November?

Though, it's clearly not a real option. Newfoundland itself is more likely, being Covid-free ... but the travel issues are the same as the rest of the country.

Florida would be my bet, unless players are willing to quarantine for some time before playing ... or returning home in Canada afterwards.

8 minutes ago, nfitz said:

St. Pierre has warmer winters than Toronto, and much less extreme lows. Why can't you play on grass in November?

Though, it's clearly not a real option. Newfoundland itself is more likely, being Covid-free ... but the travel issues are the same as the rest of the country.

Florida would be my bet, unless players are willing to quarantine for some time before playing ... or returning home in Canada afterwards.

For the same reason you cannot in Newfoundland. You are going to tear up the turf and that will be that. If you have field turf you can get away with it. 

I would argue the travel issues to Newfoundland are worse than the rest of the country. I do not even think I can go to Newfoundland right now and I am from there. I cannot think of a least likely province to host games right now than Newfoundland. 

Also, they no longer treat come-from-aways with the same openness and friendliness, which is a damn shame, because that is what we are known for. It is quite sad, but I get it. People have been convinced to be afraid. They want their safe space untainted by outsiders. Island mentality. 

Edited by Obinna

24 minutes ago, Obinna said:

For the same reason you cannot in Newfoundland. You are going to tear up the turf and that will be that. If you have field turf you can get away with it. 

Why would you tear up the turf in mid-November, before the ground has frozen?

Edited by nfitz

12 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Why would you tear up the turf in mid-November, before the ground has frozen?

Having played soccer in Newfoundland for most of my life, I can tell you that a grass field will not hold up well that late into the year. It rains a lot in Newfoundland. If you are playing in mid-November you are really pushing the limit. 

Edited by Obinna

• Admin locked this topic