Gold Cup - June 15th 2019 - Canada vs Martinique

apbsmith

Borjan and Davies were very good and David gives us that clinical finishing we haven’t had in forever. 

The backline is an issue as we all anticipated. I don’t think you can have Atiba as a CB. Really hope Henry is ready to go (really wish James was called up). I guess ZBG and Morgan are the safest combo but that doesn’t exactly inspire confidence either (missing The Cordova option here).

33 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

Piette really needs to shine this tournament. Estaquio is someone who is younger and possibly better as the position.

I think Eustaquio steps right in and takes a starting position. Keep in mind Atiba is retiring as well, so Piette isn't necessarily out in the cold. It depends on what roles our other CMs excel at.

2 hours ago, Shway said:

Millar didn't do much for the time he was on... Yall are on the spitfire d. Albeit he didn't have much time on the field, but i see some comments as if he was playing like David or Davies

A lot of confused faces, but a lot of people said this about Ballou on his first few games. Flash no splash. 

I think the kid is good, but there's more bias from some of you guys knowing that his dad is here. 

2 hours ago, Corazon said:

I agree with all those.  If Henry is healthy he slides in at CB and I would put Atiba for Piette or Atiba rested.  If Atiba is rested would rather see Kaye in there over Piette.  I'm still nervous having Morgan out there but at least its his natural position.

I suspect Cav will start vs Mexico which makes me think that David may start over Hoilett.

Kayes versatility is great and all, but I want to see him in his best position. He does everything that Piette does plus more.. (check the opta stats). 

I prefer David take Osorios spot tbh. 

He was playing as a false 9 that worked today, but against lesser opponents it won't. 

I am surprised to read a lot of these comments. A lot more negative than I expected. I am personally over the moon with the performance and the result!

Was it perfect? No, but it has to be considered one of the best  gc performances since 2007.

It was the biggest win at the Gold Cup of all-time for Canada. I know expectations are high, but Martinique beat us last GC we faced them. They finished in the top 6 in LON qualifying if I am not mistaken. We beat them 4-0 and took our foot off the gas in the last 20 minutes. This went much better than I expected.

All of that said, Hoilett had his worst game in a Canada shirt. I'm happy he scored, but it has to be said. From the beginning the weight of his passes were off. He looked hesitant on the ball and lethargic off of it. I expect more from a player of his caliber, but hopefully that's out of his system now. We need him at his best if we want to make a deep run.

Edited by Obinna

Very good performance even if it took awhile and Borjan had to save our ass in the first half.  Offense looked good, just like you thought it would be against Martinique, no problems there. 

Just a couple of shocking back passes/giveaways, godinho and Piette with a couple (which is out of character).  I hope the success with these cobbled back lines (trying to fit in all the MF) doesnt go to our head.  Atiba was exposed at CB, Kaye was shaky until we took the lead and he could rampage forward at will, Godinho and Cornelius were ok but those 4 against mexico could be a disaster.  And when was the last time Tiebert played LB???  I still wonder if we didnt need James or Straith etc instead of an extra mid??  

I'm not sure if it was because they were looking ahead to the Mexico match, taking their opponent a little more lightly than they should or because they were forced to play yet another game down south in the heat of mid-afternoon but I actually think this Canadian team often wasn't as intense as they could have been. I think they can take it up another notch and expect them to do so on Wednesday night. They certainly can't afford to be as sloppy on the ball in their own half and make a number of poor decisions or lacksadaisical passes. Nice pass by Piette on the 2nd David goal but his giveaway late in the first half was almost criminal - making a no-look back-pass in his own end with just a minute to go? That was uncharacteristically lazy thinking and incredibly careless. Somehow one thinks he wouldn't be so careless against Mexico. Although we can use his ball-winning skills against Mexico, the giveaways and the fact that he often gets stripped of the ball right at the top of his own 18 yard box makes met think he should be rotated out of the next game. If I'm Tata Martino and I'm seeing how often Piette can get dispossessed of the ball in his own end in the middle of the park and applying more pressure on him that Martinique were able to do. If I'm John Herdman though I am playing Atiba in that role against Mexico, assuming Doneil is fit enough to play in the back. if not, MAK goes into that spot. Failing that Johnson.

Against Mexico I'd put Davies at left back, Cavallini up top with David and Hoilett on the wings, Osorio-Arfield-Hutchinson midfield trio and ZBG in for Godinho, as I think we are going to need more speed on the flanks against Mexico.

Even though Mexico won 7-0, much of that was due to some extremely pathetic defensive play from Cuba with players whiffing on the ball almost like they'd been paid to do so. I know they were missing two players for alleged visa issues, but if they play like that against Canada in game three I expect we should win by the same margin we did tonight. I think we can get a result against Mexico if we play a little less carelessly, get ourselves pumped up for the match and make the personnel changes outlined above. Mexico's defense was impossible to judge in this game because Cuba offered almost no attack, bizarrely preferring to play passes across their own 6 yard box back and forth when they were down 5-6 goals.

Was at the game...a few thoughts without having a chance to watch the broadcast or peruse this board yet:

- David has ice in his veins. For someone his age to be that calm and collected in front of net is something else.

- Davies is just ridiculously fun to watch play.

- of our starting D I think Kaye was the best of the bunch...and that's probably not a good thing.

- Godinho makes me a little nervous.

- Piette is asked to do ALOT in this formation with the defenders he has behind him. He had a rough turnover but I thought all things considered he had a pretty darn good game.

- I'm not sure what to make of Osorio in this system, very interested to see him in a few more games. Little bit of me just wonders if Kaye or Atiba up there would've opened us up for more.

- Borjan is a great shot stopper (duh)

- Millar was a spark when he came on, i think he tried to do a little too much a few times.

Also, just a heads up for Voyageurs, the double header like that at the rose bowl has a HUUUUGE Tailgate. Next time around if we're in the same group as mexico I'd be happy to organize some sort of tailgate for us Canadians if i'm still living here.

Win was as expected.  Margin was a slight surprise but Herdman went more offensive in his lineup.  The way Cuba is getting dismantled by Mexico means we most likely go to the second round, even with a tie.  The test will be Mexico and Costa Rica (assuming there our QF opponent). I care more about that because they are our measuring stick being 1st and 3rd in CONCACAF historically.  If we can’f even get a win against them or better result, then chances for making the Hex aren’t in the cards in 2022.  Regarding our lineup, our backline was so erratic at times.  Piette shouldn’t play.  He made so many bad passes and giveaways that a higher quality opponent would’ve capitalized on his mistakes.  Canada is blessed in the front but now our weakness is the backside.

We’ll have to make a few changes when we play Mexico... My suggestions if we are keeping the same formation is to move Davies to LB (joined in defense by Cornelius, Henry if fit and ZBG, moving Hutch and Kaye  to MIdfield with Arfield and Kaye, and a front 3 of Hoilett, Cavallini and David.  

Tata Martino has Mexico moving the ball so fast, I’d be interested to feel how others feel we could slow them down and how we’d lineup to do so.

Hopefully this is the last time Hutchinson plays CB. 

Hutchinson to CMNT is really a hub for a network. He is the center piece when  the back line need to deliver and the front line need to regroup. With Arfield' s help, he could be a very powerful DM. I believe he still has a lot of gas in the tank.

Edited by lamptern

I would not be against Davies playing at LB for the game against Mexico, as I think he has better defensive instincts than Kaye, and has the pace and energy required if he needs to get up and down the field in order to join the attack. I also think Guillard is a better player and should get the start against Mexico, and whats the deal with Henry? Is he still injured? or is Herdman just giving him more time to rest?

2 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

- Piette is asked to do ALOT in this formation with the defenders he has behind him. He had a rough turnover but I thought all things considered he had a pretty darn good game.

That assist from Piette to J David on the second goal was just so perfect. Great pass.

He is asked to do too much in this system when Atiba is a centre-back and not in midfield.

5 hours ago, lamptern said:

Hopefully this is the last time Hutchinson plays CB. 

Hutchinson to CMNT is really a hub for a network. He is the center piece when  the back line need to deliver and the front line need to regroup. With Arfield' s help, he could be a very powerful DM. I believe he still has a lot of gas in the tank.

Atiba got beat a couple times last night when the attacker put on a quick burst of speed.  That is okay if you are a CDM and there is a defensive line behind you.  When you are a CB, it can be a lot more costly.  

24 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Good to see a team like Martinique who would have been a significant obstacle in years past being rolled over like this. Will be interesting to see what happens against Mexico and whether it will suggest that the gap in quality between the CMNT and the hex regulars is narrowing.

Our real barrier is Costa Rica. That's the watershed point. If we can beat them with regularity we're definitely on our way.