Gold Cup - June 15th 2019 - Canada vs Martinique

apbsmith

On 6/15/2019 at 5:42 PM, Lansdude said:

When we outlet through Osorio he tends to slow our attack down because he doesn't play balls into space. He will make good short passes but I find, like at TFC, he hasn't been good at "sending" guys.

I thought he played some really prompt, accurate balls down the flanks in this match.  He was unlucky not to score with that shot off the bar.  I thought he had a good game, so I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I thought he played some really prompt, accurate balls down the flanks in this match.  He was unlucky not to score with that shot off the bar.  I thought he had a good game, so I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one.

I think he chose the correct pass most of the time but lots of his balls to the wing failed to anticipate the speed of the wingers. I feel like Kaye and Davies were constantly having to check their runs as Osorio's passes weren't hitting them in stride.

Still a better performance from Osorio than we've typically seen in a Canada shirt.

21 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I think he chose the correct pass most of the time but lots of his balls to the wing failed to anticipate the speed of the wingers. I feel like Kaye and Davies were constantly having to check their runs as Osorio's passes weren't hitting them in stride.

Still a better performance from Osorio than we've typically seen in a Canada shirt.

Pretty much my assessment. Davies is so much more lethal at full gallop coming on to a ball in space.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Were they misplaced passes or is Osorio just a less direct player? Osorio might be thinking possession while the other two are wanting to counter. I'd have to watch the match again.

1 minute ago, Aird25 said:

Were they misplaced passes or is Osorio just a less direct player? Osorio might be thinking possession while the other two are wanting to counter. I'd have to watch the match again.

I'm not sure it's possible to know for sure, and against an opponent like Martinique I don't think it really mattered which approach was taken. Still, it was obvious Osorio and the wide players were often not on the same page.

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

I'm not sure it's possible to know for sure, and against an opponent like Martinique I don't think it really mattered which approach was taken. Still, it was obvious Osorio and the wide players were often not on the same page.

He should really be playing to his teammates strengths anyways. We want to be giving Davies the chance to stretch his legs every time he chooses.

33 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Probably a little of A and a little of B.  At club level a lot of stuff runs through his Spaniard talisman teammate where he wants the ball to feet as opposed into space (ditto Altidore in the target man role).  

The fact that posters are quibbling about not getting a pass in quite the right spot shows how far we've come with our players.

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

In the second half he was largely uninvolved until his goal from a supurb ball from Davies. Credit to him for making the run and finishing the play, but that was his last kick. It was time for him to get off. He really had a tough time getting settled into the game and unfortunately he never did find his rhythm.

Like I said before, it was by far his worst game for Canada, but I would rather this now than later in the tournament, when we need him to step up and produce some magic.

It will be interesting to see if he starts against Mexico.

I was disappointed with his play, too.  Like you said, he never seemed to be comfortable.  He looks more comfortable on the left side where he can cut inside and shoot.  He'll need to step it up quite a bit.

11 hours ago, jonovision said:

I'm not sure what that accomplishes either. Piette is a pure DM and in that role I think he's better than a 36 year old Atiba. If Hutch moves into midfield they need to tweak the tactics, even if he takes Piette's place.

There's a lot of talk from the camp about tactical flexibility and I really think that Piette and Hutchinson would complement each other really well in the holding mid "2" of a 4-2-3-1.  Hutchinson would serve as the safer possession/distribution conduit while Piette can win the ball and shield the CBs.

With regards to Hutchinson as a CB:  his ball playing skills are class, his reading of the game is superlative, but mano-mano physical match ups will be a problem.  Sometimes the first five yards is more than just "in your head" and he just doesn't have that recovery burst.  That breakaway with which Borjan came up trumps was a good example.  To me, the whole back line is a question mark:  I was holding my breath when the RB was defending a 1 v 1.

10 hours ago, Lansdude said:

Pretty much my assessment. Davies is so much more lethal at full gallop coming on to a ball in space.

Absolutely.. there were times when Davies just needed a ball 2 feet in front of him and he would be gone or draw a yellow guaranteed.  Instead it was played to his feet and he had to slow down a half pace to receive.  Not ideal for us as we’ll depend on the wings more as the matches get tougher. 

That playing into feet instead of into space, when the receiving player is clearly on the move, is one of my biggest pet peeves in soccer.  There is nothing worse than seeing someone at full speed running into an open space and then having check back to retrieve a pass.  Possession game?  Sure.  But when a guy is in full flight you should pass the ball with that in mind. 

I would rather watch Rivaldo grab his face and drop after being hit in the shin with a ball than watch someone stop their run because the passer hasn't mastered a basic U11 skill.

54 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That playing into feet instead of into space, when the receiving player is clearly on the move, is one of my biggest pet peeves in soccer.  There is nothing worse than seeing someone at full speed running into an open space and then having check back to retrieve a pass.  Possession game?  Sure.  But when a guy is in full flight you should pass the ball with that in mind. 

I would rather watch Rivaldo grab his face and drop after being hit in the shin with a ball than watch someone stop their run because the passer hasn't mastered a basic U11 skill.

MAK has been doing that all season with LAFC. He moves the ball quickly and hits players like Vella in stride. We were a tad slow passing to Cav, Davies and even Hoilett. I really would like to see him play as a CM vs Mexico

21 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

MAK has been doing that all season with LAFC. He moves the ball quickly and hits players like Vella in stride. We were a tad slow passing to Cav, Davies and even Hoilett. I really would like to see him play as a CM vs Mexico

I haven't seen a ton of LAFC but I agree Kaye's passing has a lot to do with their success. He doesn't hesitate much on the ball and is good at weighting line-splitting passes along the ground. He gives the team another legitimate passing threat and takes care of the ball well. That said, LAFC's forwards are the best in the league at getting open and making themselves available.