Gold Cup - June 15th 2019 - Canada vs Martinique

apbsmith

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Tiebert for Kaye.  So Rusty is left back now?

Looks like we have shift to a 3-5-2 now in my eyes. 

Cornelius - Hutch - Godinho

Although it's honestly hard to say because Piette often drops back to CB... So prolly just the 4-3-3 hybrid Herdman keeps using.

Edited by apbsmith

Martinique won all 4 of their nation league games correct? 

A few hiccups/major blunders, we got lucky not to get punished... but at the end of the day, could not be happier with this scoreline! 

I'll give props to where props are due, whatever was said or done at half-time seemed to work. Our back 4 played much much better 2nd half.

Borjan is sooooo good.

Edited by apbsmith

Notes from today:

Pros

- important win against a quick physical team.

- David scores when he wants.

- We got depth depth depth.

- Cornelius had some good moments. 

- Watching phonzie makes life enjoyable, his enthusiasm is infectious. 

Cons:

- Piette is still a serious liability with the pace of a tugboat. Henry gets bridled with abuse for one mistake yet Piette seems to still be a golden boy despite giving up possession for fun.  Feels slightly harsh but also not the first time.

- We got depth depth depth everywhere but defence. 

- Atiba is no CB. Get well sooner Doneil.

- Kaye isn't our best option at LB but he is the best of what we have in this squad.

Lastly:

- Cant really judge the above given the altitude.

- none of the above is anything we didnt already know.

Overall, good game minus 10 minutes at the end of the first half where Borjan saved us.  Offensively this group of players is going to dominate for years to come.  Defensively, I'm not sure any players have secured roles back there.  Much better 2nd half from our defense though.  I think Herdman needs to put friendships aside and sacrifice some center mids for some natural outside backs.  Kaya looked out of place and then to have Teibert come in for him.  I can't see why we left natural backs Adekugbe & Cordova at home to play center mids at LB?  

4 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I can't see why we left natural backs Adekugbe & Cordova at home to play center mids at LB?  

Adekugbe has a banged up knee, 100%agree about Cordova. 

Morgan will likely get some minutes, he held his own in CL CONCACAF we will see what he can do for the CMNT

Edited by apbsmith