Gold Cup - June 15th 2019 - Canada vs Martinique

apbsmith

This Saturday! 4:30 pst, 7:30 est.

Figured time to start a match Thread.

My takes - 

1) I would not leave David out of my starting lineup, but I'm still confident we could get a Win with him not starting (fresh for Mexico? or sub if needed?).

2) Will Henry be ready to go?

3) Formation , I believe we will start with a 4-3-3 "on paper", however it definitely won't be a traditional 4-3-3 with lots of formation movement and rotation, often times probably 3 at the back.

4) Any changes from the starting lineup from the T&T friendly? 

ZBG   Hutchinson   Cornelius   Kaye

Arfield   Piette   Osorio

Hoilett   Cavallini   Davies

Not my best starting 11 , but I'm 100% okay and confident with that very experienced lineup ^ getting us 3 points vs Martinique.

Thoughts? 

I think it would be wise to continue with the same lineup for the Martinique game.  We got a solid result and no one was able to scout the match (hopefully).  Focus on a 3 point start - it’s all that matters.  

If we go to face Mexico on 3 points all the pressure is on them.  If we have anything less the pressure is on us already.  

The only change I’d maybe make is Osorio for David, but I have no idea the roles they were playing Monday.  Obviously David looked like a stud on that second goal and throughout his Canada career so far.  

3 GK Loïc Chauvet 30 April 1988(age 31) 15 0 Martinique Golden Lion
16 GK Arnaud Huygues 30 December 1985(age 33) 0 0 Martinique Aiglon
1 GK Stéphane Michalet 16 March 1989(age 30) 0 0 Martinique US Robert

21 DF Sébastien Crétinoir 12 February 1986(age 33) 58 3 Martinique Golden Lion
5 DF Karl Vitulin 15 January 1991(age 28) 45 2 MartiniqueSamaritaine
8 DF Jordy Delem 18 March 1993(age 26) 41 5 United States Seattle Sounders
3 DF Jean-Sylvain Babin 14 October 1986(age 32) 10 1 SpainSporting Gijón
4 DF Rodrigue César 14 April 1988(age 31) 5 0 Martinique Club Colonial
18 DF Samuel Camille 2 February 1986(age 33) 0 0 SpainTenerife

19 MF Daniel Hérelle 17 October 1988(age 30) 70 3 Martinique Golden Lion
20 MF Stéphane Abaul 23 November 1991 (aged 25) 49 8 Martinique Club Franciscain
13 MF Christophe Jougon 10 July 1995(age 23) 20 1 Martinique Club Franciscain
14 MF Yann Thimon 1 January 1990(age 29) 4 1 Martinique Golden Lion
18 MF Wesley Jobello 23 January 1994(age 25) 3 1 France Ajaccio
22 MF Romario Barthéléry 25 June 1994(age 24) 2 0 Martinique Golden Lion
6 MF Joris Marveaux 15 August 1982(age 36) 0 0 France Ajaccio

17 FW Kévin Parsemain 3 February 1988(age 31) 52 34 Martinique Golden Lion
7 FW Grégory Pastel 18 September 1990(age 28) 15 3 MartiniqueRivière-Pilote
22 FW Johnny Marajo 21 October 1993 (aged 23) 8 0 Martinique Club Franciscain
10 FW Mickaël Biron 27 August 1997(age 21) 5 4 Martinique Golden Lion
9 FW Kévin Fortuné 6 August 1989(age 29) 2

3 minutes ago, Alex said:
3 GK Loïc Chauvet 30 April 1988(age 31) 15 0 Martinique Golden Lion
16 GK Arnaud Huygues 30 December 1985(age 33) 0 0 Martinique Aiglon
1 GK Stéphane Michalet 16 March 1989(age 30) 0 0 Martinique US Robert

21 DF Sébastien Crétinoir 12 February 1986(age 33) 58 3 Martinique Golden Lion
5 DF Karl Vitulin 15 January 1991(age 28) 45 2 MartiniqueSamaritaine
8 DF Jordy Delem 18 March 1993(age 26) 41 5 United States Seattle Sounders
3 DF Jean-Sylvain Babin 14 October 1986(age 32) 10 1 SpainSporting Gijón
4 DF Rodrigue César 14 April 1988(age 31) 5 0 Martinique Club Colonial
18 DF Samuel Camille 2 February 1986(age 33) 0 0 SpainTenerife

19 MF Daniel Hérelle 17 October 1988(age 30) 70 3 Martinique Golden Lion
20 MF Stéphane Abaul 23 November 1991 (aged 25) 49 8 Martinique Club Franciscain
13 MF Christophe Jougon 10 July 1995(age 23) 20 1 Martinique Club Franciscain
14 MF Yann Thimon 1 January 1990(age 29) 4 1 Martinique Golden Lion
18 MF Wesley Jobello 23 January 1994(age 25) 3 1 France Ajaccio
22 MF Romario Barthéléry 25 June 1994(age 24) 2 0 Martinique Golden Lion
6 MF Joris Marveaux 15 August 1982(age 36) 0 0 France Ajaccio

17 FW Kévin Parsemain 3 February 1988(age 31) 52 34 Martinique Golden Lion
7 FW Grégory Pastel 18 September 1990(age 28) 15 3 MartiniqueRivière-Pilote
22 FW Johnny Marajo 21 October 1993 (aged 23) 8 0 Martinique Club Franciscain
10 FW Mickaël Biron 27 August 1997(age 21) 5 4 Martinique Golden Lion
9 FW Kévin Fortuné 6 August 1989(age 29) 2

Looks like they have 4 or 5 quality players, just based on the clubs they are attached to. The domestic players can be hit or miss, so we would be wise not to overlook them.

I wouldn't be upset to see the same starting 11 against Martinique. No need to rush Henry back. Give Hutchinson another game to get familiar in the CB role, then rest him in Mexico and get Henry back there. From there, asses the fitness of both and take appropriate action.

We need to come out with a win against Martinique. No excuses. T&T should be good preparation. One Caribbean team for another. 

I predict we come out again 2-0 winners in this one. Goals from Osorio and Hoilett this time. Davies and David assisting.

I think imho that we save David and Millar as impact players off the bench in the Martinique game say 30mins left and then start then vs Mexico. Squad rotatable all. Then back to the best 11 for Cuba. If David does as well as we think he will as a sub then he pushes Osorio to the bench...

Also save Henry for México injury wise 

but what do I know...

Edited by spitfire

I want Osorio and Cavallini fresh and starting against Mexico.  Best friends and both with chips on their shoulders who seem to relish playing high level Mexican competition.  

With that in mind I’d have Larin or Millar come in for Cavallini at some point since he’s a workhorse.

9 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I want Osorio and Cavallini fresh and starting against Mexico.  Best friends and both with chips on their shoulders who seem to relish playing high level Mexican competition.  

I don’t understand. 

The point of the group stage is to get through. The squad must be managed and rotated it’s not about beating México in the first round it’s about winning the Gold cup. A win in game 1 and 3 guarantees that. This isn’t about personal grudges and friendships it’s about results. Like I said before 3 games in 8 days one in the heat of Pasadena and the 2nd at altitude... followed by a trip across 3 time zones for the 3rd. 

there is no scenario where the same starting 11 play all three games. No where.

Come out strongest in game 1, a version of the team vs T &T is best. Mexico is the best place to rest players in the group stage. Play tight and play for a narrow win or a draw. Exploit speed on the counter. Millar did this versus Celtic in front of 60000...

A team wins a game. A squad  win the tournament. 

For the first time in a long time we have a very good squad. Let’s use it.  

16 minutes ago, spitfire said:

I don’t understand. 

The point of the group stage is to get through. The squad must be managed and rotated it’s not about beating México in the first round it’s about winning the Gold cup. A win in game 1 and 3 guarantees that. This isn’t about personal grudges and friendships it’s about results. Like I said before 3 games in 8 days one in the heat of Pasadena and the 2nd at altitude... followed by a trip across 3 time zones for the 3rd. 

Come out strongest in game 1, a version of the team vs T &T is best. Mexico is the best place to rest players in the group stage. Play tight and play for a narrow win or a draw. Exploit speed on the counter. Millar did this versus Celtic in front of 60000...

I agree with this take. Mexico is the game to rotate and rest those who need it.

This is definitely the game I would use to start Millar or at least give him ample time to run at tiring Mexican defenders. Davies is another one with speed who could really hurt Mexico. We could bring him off the bench, but I think he'll probably start if he's fit. He's a young man and I doubt he's burnt out from the European season.

As I mentioned before, Mexico is probably the game you want to use to rest Hutchinson and swap Henry into his place in the backline.

As for Osorio and Cavallini, I hope they play against Mexico, just because I think both would thrive against El Tri, but if it is wise to rest them, so be it.

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, spitfire said:

I don’t understand. 

I agree with your post but what don’t you understand about me wanting Cavallini and Osorio starting vs Mexico?  The two aren’t mutually exclusive.  We need rotation and to use our depth, I would just like to see them in that game particularly.

17 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I agree with your post but what don’t you understand about me wanting Cavallini and Osorio starting vs Mexico?  The two aren’t mutually exclusive.  We need rotation and to use our depth, I would just like to see them in that game particularly.

They are mutually exclusive if they start vs Mexico do they not start vs Martinique? 

24 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

If the Mexico game was a knockout then yes they both should start; but if Cav and Oso are part of our "best XI"  they start vs. Martinique and Cuba. No point going for it vs. Mexico in the pool game...coming up short and then blowing it vs. Cuba or even Martinique if we rest players for Mexico. 2 wins gets us to the next stage

11 minutes ago, spitfire said:

They are mutually exclusive if they start vs Mexico do they not start vs Martinique? 

Or Cuba - they need a rest for sure and it would make more sense for that to come before the knockouts imo.  But Herdman has already said that the big players will play the majority of minutes at this tournament.  I’d expect 2+ starts in the group stage for any guy who is considered to be a big player.  I think every outfield player with the exception of maybe Miller and Okello will get a start in the group stage. 

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Or Cuba - they need a rest for sure and it would make more sense for that to come before the knockouts imo.  But Herdman has already said that the big players will play the majority of minutes at this tournament.  I’d expect 2+ starts in the group stage for any guy who is considered to be a big player.  I think every outfield player with the exception of maybe Miller and Okello will get a start in the group stage. 

Sorry when did Herdman say that? I have him quoted as saying he will use his whole squad? And the structure of the tournament he will need it. The big rest comes after the group stage 6 days(June 23-29) that’s when we shift back to playing the best 11 every game if we can. The quarterfinals to finals is 3 games in 8 days again June 29-July 7

The two  most important games in the group stage are Martinique and Cuba. I would much rather oso and Lucas play México in then semis....

but what do I know ....

9 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Sorry when did Herdman say that? I have him quoted as saying he will use his whole squad? And the structure of the tournament he will need it. The big rest comes after the group stage 6 days(June 23-29) that’s when we shift back to playing the best 11 every game if we can. The quarterfinals to finals is 3 games in 8 days again June 29-July 7

The two  most important games in the group stage are Martinique and Cuba. I would much rather oso and Lucas play México in then semis....

but what do I know ....

Of course you have to play all players, no one is disputing that.  He’s going to play his entire squad.  Majority doesn’t mean all minutes.

“Every man selected has to be ready to play,” Herdman admitted, while also adding, “the stronger players are going to play the majority of the minutes in the tournament.”

It will be interesting to see what we do rotation wise.  I am pretty confident in any player we put out there and think we have a good shot at mexico.  If we can get Haiti or Nicaragua in the quarter finals and Mexico and Costa Rica have to kill each other to make the semis that would be ideal obviously.  

Edited by CanadaFan123

Most of us on the same page here :). 

I think the subs will reflect the score line, which is 100% okay.

I think the "sub pool" is about 6-7-8 guys, and I'd honestly be okay with that.

Teibert, WJ, David, Millar, Godhino, Morgan, even Miller if we want to sub Hutch or other defenders at 60-70mins.

Strongest possible lineup against Martinique, rest and see if our "B squad" can nip a result from Mexico. Then make whatever tweaks are appropriate based on the Martinique match and send out another maximum strength team against Cuba. Let's not give anything under 100% against the teams we should beat.

The one thing I can't decide in our formation is if we need a proper CDM. We know Hutchinson will be playing CB, so that takes him out of that position. Do we now necessarily need Piette? Or will a combination of Kaye, Hoillett, and Arfield do the job in their ball-winning, collecting and passing from deep? If they can, then we can put Davies at LB, lean on the left side of the park, and have Kaye look after the space he's vacating.

Edited by Lansdude

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

The main thing is that we arrogantly celebrate goals 9-13 like we just won the world cup. 

Then when people get pissed off at us we have to go on social media and completely miss the point on why everyone hates us. 

When people call out Hoilett for taking his shirt off and running into the stands after putting us up 11-0 we just have to send them death threats and that will do the trick!

8 minutes ago, admin said:

Nations League - Sept 19th 2019 - Canada vs Cuba

I like it like that ^ but 100% whatever people think works. 

I just started this thread, this way the "Gold Cup" thread stays general and this one could be more focused on the actual game.