Tajon Buchanan

nolando

1 hour ago, sebdeserio said:

I think it's a bit harsh but agree that his game hasn't changed since going to Brugges and he dribbles into trouble too often with them, not so much with us. Was our biggest threat at the World Cup but needs to refine his game at the club level.

He has improved the defensive part of his game though. There's a lack of team chemistry at Brugge and it reflects on how he plays with them. In possession there's very little close support for him out wide and he often has to go 1v1.  With Canada he has multiple options  on attack. Playing with David, Larin, Kone, Staq & Davies may have something to do with that. He does need to move on from Brugge next season though.

Only watched part of the game but thought Tajon was a bright spot playing as an inverted LB of all things.  Still happy to drive the play forward on the dribble, and even put a couple decent crosses in with his left foot.   I get the feeling Brugge really like his defensive work rate and ability to recover after pushing forward.  He definitely has the skills/ability of a modern day fullback, but I still think his 1 v 1 on the wings is his best quality.  Hopefully he'll get to play there someday on some team...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, grigorio said:

Lazio of vile racist fans fame? No thank you. 

Racism aside, would Lazio be a more realistic step up the ladder for Buchanan? Big Italian club obviously, but not as big as Inter Milan. Maybe Lazio ensures he gets more playing time, while also getting to play in Champions League again next year?

For me I think I would still prefer Inter, but I think it's worth discussing. Also, does Lazio want him to be a forward or a wingback? 

4 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I do hope he's still on the radars of bigger clubs because honestly he's been pretty uninspiring for Brugge outside of few moments here and there in 2023, and while the team as a whole is uninspiring it's not like he's a bright spot really.

And I also don't think clubs really care what he does with Canada.

This probably explains why it's Serie A clubs chasing him.

They are looking for bargains. 

He's a good player that will probably look better on a team better run than CB.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Racism aside, would Lazio be a more realistic step up the ladder for Buchanan? Big Italian club obviously, but not as big as Inter Milan. Maybe Lazio ensures he gets more playing time, while also getting to play in Champions League again next year?

For me I think I would still prefer Inter, but I think it's worth discussing. Also, does Lazio want him to be a forward or a wingback? 

Sarri always plays 4-3-3, and he changed Lazio to that formation after taking over. 

1 hour ago, masster said:

Sarri always plays 4-3-3, and he changed Lazio to that formation after taking over. 

Thanks for that. This makes the conversation more nuanced than "Go to the bigger club". 

We know Inter want him as a wingback. Do we want that for Buchanan?

Right now, there is debate in the Davies thread about whether Alphonso should be playing higher up the field. The point was made he'd have to likely drop down a level to do so. This kind of mirrors the Buchanan situation, especially if Lazio are playing in a 4-3-3 already. 

So, do we want Buchanan to go to very big club (Inter) and develop as a wing back? We are already playing Davies at LWB and Buchanan at RWB as per last match. Having your LWB play for Bayern and your RWB play for Inter Milan is world class on paper, but we could eventually be having the same debate about Tajon as we're having with Davies.

Or he could take a more modest step (Lazio) but develop as a wide forward?

It's a hard call, I am kind of torn. 

59 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Thanks for that. This makes the conversation more nuanced than "Go to the bigger club". 

We know Inter want him as a wingback. Do we want that for Buchanan?

Right now, there is debate in the Davies thread about whether Alphonso should be playing higher up the field. The point was made he'd have to likely drop down a level to do so. This kind of mirrors the Buchanan situation, especially if Lazio are playing in a 4-3-3 already. 

So, do we want Buchanan to go to very big club (Inter) and develop as a wing back? We are already playing Davies at LWB and Buchanan at RWB as per last match. Having your LWB play for Bayern and your RWB play for Inter Milan is world class on paper, but we could eventually be having the same debate about Tajon as we're having with Davies.

Or he could take a more modest step (Lazio) but develop as a wide forward?

It's a hard call, I am kind of torn. 

It is a hard call, but I think the priority has to be getting practice/play minutes at the highest level.  For Davies, that has meant playing LB at an elite club, and while he hasn't developed his attacking chops much, his overall technical/tactical ability has improved immensely just by practicing daily against the best players in the world, and playing weekly against the best clubs (Bundesliga and CL).  Now one could argue that he has plateau'd, and it's time to move on to a club where he can play an attacking role, but I don't think you could argue that his development to date has been stifled or misdirected during his time at Bayern.

So to me, the question boils down to whether Tajon would get the same minutes at Inter as he would at Lazio.  If he can quickly get into the starting lineup as a LWB at Inter, I think it's a no-brainer.  But if he's 3rd or 4th on the wingback (or winger) depth chart there, I think Lazio is the choice.  Imho of course.  (And assuming he even has a choice to begin with.)

On 4/12/2023 at 3:01 PM, narduch said:

This probably explains why it's Serie A clubs chasing him.

They are looking for bargains. 

He's a good player that will probably look better on a team better run than CB.

Probably one of the best teams this season that looked for bargains and struck gold this season in Serie A are Napoli , whoever their scouts are or whoever is in charge of recruiting needs a huge raise . A Buchanan is a perfect example of a player that is no superstar right now but given the right environment can excel . No one is really breaking down the door like crazy to sign him but using Napoli as an example no one was breaking down the doors for a few key players that Napoli signed this season but now look at some of these players and what they are doing at Napoli .

2 hours ago, scullion44 said:

Seems a pretty big overpay? Very happy for him if this happens though of course  https://www.hln.be/voetbal/buchanan-op-weg-naar-inter-club-brugge-vangt-ongeveer-15-miljoen-euro~a4652ed5/

15M is a big overpay? I think it is fair, and could even be a steal. Did you watch Tajon at the World Cup? He was very good at literally the highest level of football. Overall probably Canada's best player.

If this happens, I think this is great for Tajon, and great for Inter! 

Amazing move if it happens. I agree with many here, it would break our taboo with Serie A, but for many of us would also make watching Italian football more exciting.

Regarding "overpay", @scullion44, the big clubs pretty well have to pay that much more. You can't lowball if you are one of the big clubs in Europe, and even that second tier flaunting their money, like a Newcastle, are forced to go that way as well. 

I see it all the time at my club, Barça, we pay far more than other more modest clubs would. Which is why when a player fails it hurts more, not to mention the salary problem--you end up having pay half salary just to loan them out, you write off what you paid if the player is not giving you value.

Then the salaries are that much higher as well. Another club of more modest means could pay a 15 million transfer, even Lille could pay that, but then they would not be able put him into anywhere near the salary bracket an Inter might pay. It you do it, it would force them to move the entire roster up, as agents aren't stupid (it's not like MLS where they have no respect for salary scales). So the player is not going to accept a transfer, if he is on contract, to a new team that can't match or compete on his salary demands, even if they can match the transfer fee. 

All this without mentioning that Tajon would get a more favourable signing bonus at Inter and his agents' commissions would be more lucrative.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist