Tajon Buchanan

nolando

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, VinceA said:

Very disappointed with him today. The only thing notable he did was shove Aaronson off the pitch.

Seems he's regressed recently with his poor season at Brugge.

I thought he didn't really have any chance to do anything? Once he was on, 95% of our play was Davies hero ball. The ball came to the right side like once or twice at most

On 6/17/2023 at 10:43 AM, PegCityCam said:

At 14:19 Veth claims Buchanan is Inter bound for €15 mil and, "that deal is pretty much done".

If Buchanan does move to Italy, I think it will either go super well or be a complete failure. I don't think there is any middle ground.

He could be absolutely eaten alive for some of his current deficiencies, or he could use this step up to truly complete his game and become a top player. At present, I am a little concerned it will be the former.

2 minutes ago, masster said:

If Buchanan does move to Italy, I think it will either go super well or be a complete failure. I don't think there is any middle ground.

He could be absolutely eaten alive for some of his current deficiencies, or he could use this step up to truly complete his game and become a top player. At present, I am a little concerned it will be the former.

Has he ever gotten eaten alive in big games though? My biggest gripe with him is that he fades, but he’s held his own and shone in big games at the World Cup and champions league. 

I think there’s a chance he flames out at Inter, but I see it more as a slow death where he’s good but not great, a younger player comes in, takes his spot, Tajon gets glued to the bench. But I think his floor is “good enough”.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Has he ever gotten eaten alive in big games though? My biggest gripe with him is that he fades, but he’s held his own and shone in big games at the World Cup and champions league. 

To be clear, when I said 'eaten alive' I was talking about by the fans and media, not necessarily on the pitch...because there is a decent sized chance that if he doesn't improve in a couple of key areas, he won't see much of the pitch.

This isn't a perfect comparison, but look at what has happened with his former Brugge teammate De Ketelaere. You don't get a lot of time or grace period at one of the Italian giants. But Milan paid 35M for CDK. So they need to make every effort for the investment to come good, especially in cash strapped Serie A. But at 15M, Buchanan would be more disposable. Inter fans are already not enamored with Dumfries and won't be sad to see him leave. If the potential replacement is a slight step down, they could be ruthless.

2 minutes ago, masster said:

To be clear, when I said 'eaten alive' I was talking about by the fans and media, not necessarily on the pitch...because there is a decent sized chance that if he doesn't improve in a couple of key areas, he won't see much of the pitch.

This isn't a perfect comparison, but look at what has happened with his former Brugge teammate De Ketelaere. You don't get a lot of time or grace period at one of the Italian giants. But Milan paid 35M for CDK. So they need to make every effort for the investment to come good, especially in cash strapped Serie A. But at 15M, Buchanan would be more disposable. Inter fans are already not enamored with Dumfries and won't be sad to see him leave. If the potential replacement is a slight step down, they could be ruthless.

That makes sense- Italian fans are on a different level. I think if he does fail, it won’t be like CDK who basically fell flat on his face like three games into his time at Milan, it’ll be slower- everyone thinks Tajon’s first great game will be his next, every week more fans hop off the bandwagon and by the time he’s fully out of their plans, fans will barely remember him. 

I do have concerns this is how he plays out in Italy, but at this point, we’ve all been waiting to see what this guy is actually capable of, so it’s now or never. I hope he takes that leap, because clearly smarter soccer minds than me believe he can. 

I think Panama did a great job against him.  They had one break down where he found space to play in that cross for the Larin's great chance.  Otherwise, he was well policed.

I still see too much of an athlete first/footballer second in him which can pose a problem in a tactical league.  Like  @masstersays, it seems like a feast or famine situation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2023 at 11:32 AM, narduch said:

Not in the line up for Club Brugge's friendly today

Does anyone know whether he is still joining Inter? A lot of talk about the likes of Pulisic and Musah agreeing personal terms with AC Milan - now they are just discussing the transfer fees with Chelsea/Valencia. The Weah to Juventus move seemed to get wrapped up in the blink of an eye. 

Getting a little nervous this one is not going to happen. I guess they technically can't/won't do anything until Dumfries moves?

Edited by Obinna

38 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Does anyone know whether he is still joining Inter? A lot of talk about the likes of Pulisic and Musah agreeing personal terms with AC Milan - now they are just discussing the transfer fees with Chelsea/Valencia. The Weah to Juventus move seemed to get wrapped up in the blink of an eye. 

Getting a little nervous this one is not going to happen. I guess they technically can't/won't do anything until Dumfries moves?

Was just reading an article just now suggesting that the deal is not contingent on the Dumfries move.  But what it did say (in a separate article) is at they are  also looking at a similar player from Torino.  Both pieces were in Italian.   

Edited by Free kick

19 hours ago, Obinna said:

Just looking from the outside, Tajon was poor at the WC (outside his one assist), and has been injured and poor for Brugge this season.

It wouldn't surprise me if interest has cooled off him. His 2023 hasn't been good at all.

5 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Just looking from the outside, Tajon was poor at the WC (outside his one assist), and has been injured and poor for Brugge this season.

It wouldn't surprise me if interest has cooled off him. His 2023 hasn't been good at all.

I said it many pages back and got pilled on, but to me Tajon is the same player as when he left MLS. He has shown no significant improvement - same strength and weaknesses imo. He had a meteoric rise in 2021 but seems to have plateaued since then. 

Edited by Floortom

4 minutes ago, VinceA said:

This is my fear. If not Inter, I hope he can move somewhere before the WC shine completely rubs off.

I wonder how things would have shaken up if we won that NL final. Seems like a lot of big moves are happening for Americans now. Musah and Pulisic to Milan, Aaronson to Union Berlin, Pepi to PSV, McKennie (potentially) to Dortmund, Weah to Juventus. Not saying that's all down to that one game, but in terms of optics things would have been much rosier for our guys. 

By the way, Buchanan for me had a very good world cup. He showed well. David on the other hand is someone who I would say didn't have a good tourney. I know Tajon was voted for worst 11 of the tournament, but I take it with a grain of salt. Likely someone just looking at the worst performing teams and picking a notable player. Him being worst in the tournament certainly doesn't fit in with my eye test (but maybe I need my eyes checked).

All of this is valid and I don’t disagree with the criticism, but the Inter interest heated up after the World Cup and while he was very much in the midsts of a disappointing season, so I doubt that’s the case- if he doesn’t go to Inter, I’m sure it’s because another player was made available.

as for being the worst at the World Cup, we should also remember that Alistair Johnston was apparently the worst RB at the World Cup too, and he moved to Celtic right after. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I wonder how things would have shaken up if we won that NL final. Seems like a lot of big moves are happening for Americans now. Musah and Pulisic to Milan, Aaronson to Union Berlin, Pepi to PSV, McKennie (potentially) to Dortmund, Weah to Juventus. Not saying that's all down to that one game, but in terms of optics things would have been much rosier for our guys. 

Americans get a huge boost to their value as owners hope to cash in a bit on a relatively large ‘hometown’ fan base. 
It’s almost become amusing though how the majority of them sign on at teams that are above their level and end up riding the pine for the most part.

Plus, a lot of those American moves are downwards. Pulisic couldn’t cut it at Chelsea, so now it’s Milan, with heavy rumours that MLS after the 2026 World Cup is his next move. Aaronson from the premier league to the Bundesliga. McKennie from Série A to Bundesliga.  I like Pepi and Weah’s moves, but if anything, the US is even worse than us in terms of guys underperforming in top leagues in Europe. You can add Dest who apparently Barcelona is having trouble offloading too. 

Edited by InglewoodJack

Tajon was the best performing Canadian at the WC and while I agree his numbers have not been great offensively for Brugge the team in general has been very poor this season. He has shown development on the defensive side of his game which was lacking at MLS and at times during WCQ. The fact he can play  left/right/winger/WB/FB is a plus.  Think he is best as a winger the way he played at the WC when we went with a 343