Tajon Buchanan

nolando

5 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Team is struggling to score goals. The new manager hasnt really switched up much, so the results haven't been great. Larin needs to get a.mofe as he doesn't appear to be in their plans.

Scott Parker has been a  poor coach for a while so the fact Brugge thought he was the man is mind-boggling.

Monaco scout Ty Gooden, who discovered Saliba for Arsenal, says this about Buchanan in an Athletic article on scouting:

Brugge have started brightly against Anderlecht. Gooden predicted they would have some joy on their right flank through the pace of Tajon Buchanan, the 23-year-old Canadian who shone at the World Cup, and he is spot-on. The winger, who was linked with Inter Milan earlier this month, should open the scoring but he drags his shot wide of the far post.

“That’s his weak point,” Gooden says, alluding to Buchanan’s finishing. “If he gets that right, his price will go through the roof.”

https://theathletic.com/4131355/2023/01/30/transfer-window-football-scouting/?source=ukdfb&campaign=711528

43 minutes ago, red card said:

Monaco scout Ty Gooden, who discovered Saliba for Arsenal, says this about Buchanan in an Athletic article on scouting:

Brugge have started brightly against Anderlecht. Gooden predicted they would have some joy on their right flank through the pace of Tajon Buchanan, the 23-year-old Canadian who shone at the World Cup, and he is spot-on. The winger, who was linked with Inter Milan earlier this month, should open the scoring but he drags his shot wide of the far post.

“That’s his weak point,” Gooden says, alluding to Buchanan’s finishing. “If he gets that right, his price will go through the roof.”

https://theathletic.com/4131355/2023/01/30/transfer-window-football-scouting/?source=ukdfb&campaign=711528

The opposition may be stronger than what he faced in MLS with NER, but scoring/finishing never seemed to be an issue when he played in MLS. He also had a decent strike rate in WCQ and had that big goal vs Mexico in the GC. He did miss a good chance vs Belgium.  Perhaps his confidence is a bit low.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I find funny about Champions League is that it is the next year’s team that competes for what last year’s team accomplished. This makes sense, obviously, considering how time works, but Benfica are heavy favourites today, as they should be, however, if this match was being played this time last year, Brugge who won their league by 4 points could actually have been the favourite against Benfica who didn’t have their best season. Now Benfica is on fire and CB are struggling. 

6 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

This CB is nothing like the team I watched trounce Porto in September… they played quickly and with precision, now they are slower and indecisive. Tajon also seems to be lacking in some confidence to attack defenders and make things happen.

They play the way we pretend Lille plays- a team terrified to play even remotely interesting soccer, and they went from having a ton of guys who could score to zero guys who can score. 

I’m surprised it’s only 1-0 off a PK, but it is at Brugge, so I guess they had to win this one.

Between Porto and Brugge, I’ve been thinking about who has the best chance to move on, and I figured that Porto could never beat inter, but I do think they have the better shot now…