Tajon Buchanan

nolando

I would take Tajon at Inter.  A strong team in Italy that competes for the Serie A title in recent years and a usual knockout stage team in Champions League.  

I would love to see a Canadian succeed in Italy.  Plus, I'd have to think that Larin will be offered a contract with Valladolid after this season if his form continues.  Looks like David might get his move to England at his current rate of scoring.  With Davies in Germany.  Lastly, Ugbo looks like he's not going to be in France much longer but if he does find his feet or another team in Ligue 1 we could see finally see a Canadian in every one of the top 5 leagues in Europe.

Edited by Corazon

6 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I meant 7M euros, but yeah, I agree with your assessment of his value- my most toxic CANMNT opinion is that Tajon is by far our most overrated player, and I think 12M or so is a very fair offer for him. Just surprised that A) CB are ready to ship him out so soon, and for such a modest profit, and B ) that Inter is going to find a Dumfries replacement whose value hasn't really increased much since coming to Europe- you would think that they're looking for Dumfries' replacement to be A Guy- ie quasi star. On the other hand, I know that Serie A's collective transfer budget is a pack of gum and three nickels, so maybe they identified Tajon as a moneyball acquisition.

I think the price is fair, I'm just surprised Brugge will take it (if they do), and not turn this into a Jonathan David situation where they inflate his price and scare everyone away from him.

haha I was just giving you a hard time over the 7 euro thing. Tajon is definitely worth more than a plate of fish and chips. ;)

And yes, I feel the same. I hope Brugge don't hold out for more. I don't think they will. I think they'll be happy to get 12M for Tajon given his age and the frustrating season they've had so far.

If Tajon was 22 or even 23 maybe they'd be justified to hold out a bit longer, but he'll be 25 in less than 12 months. Gotta flip him now, I think. 

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

haha I was just giving you a hard time over the 7 euro thing. Tajon is definitely worth more than a plate of fish and chips. ;)

And yes, I feel the same. I hope Brugge don't hold out for more. I don't think they will. I think they'll be happy to get 12M for Tajon given his age and the frustrating season they've had so far.

If Tajon was 22 or even 23 maybe they'd be justified to hold out a bit longer, but he'll be 25 in less than 12 months. Gotta flip him now, I think. 

I hope so too. I hope that they look at the absolute heist they pulled with the De Ketelaere sale last year and think that it's better to sell a little early than a little late. I think Tajon is exciting enough to make a sell on clause be pretty enticing for CB. I think it's easy to look at some of his best work and think that he's got an extra gear in him, and maybe in two years he's going to Barcelona or something.

6 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Tajon, imo had the most impressive performance on the CMNT  during the WC. He may not be a great finisher but as a wingback, if he replaces Dumfries, it's not critical. His low G/A for Brugge may just be a function of how CB play

Definitely- if anything, his CANMNT performances are the reason that I think he even has a chance to improve from where he's at right now. Such a better player for country than club.

Edited by InglewoodJack

10 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I would take Tajon at Inter.  A strong team in Italy that competes for Seria A title in recent years and usual knockout stage team in Champions League.  

I would love to see a Canadian succeed in Italy.  Plus, I'd have to think that Larin will be offered a contract with Valladolid after this season if his form continues.  Looks like David might get his move to England at his current rate of scoring.  With Davies in Germany.  Lastly, Ugbo looks like he's not going to be in France much longer but if he does find his feet or another team, I would like to finally see a Canadian in every one of the top 5 leagues in Europe.

A very realistic outlook heading into the 23-24 season:

Davies - Bayern Munich

David - Chelsea (could be a number of EPL clubs, just picking them at random out of the many clubs linked to him)

Buchanan - Inter Milan

Eustaquio - Porto

Larin - Valladolid

Johnston - Celtic

Adekugbe - Galatasaray (hope this becomes permanent)

Kone - Watford (I don't think he moves to Udinese yet, but it's in the realm of possibility)

Cavallini - Tijuana 

That's already a nice-looking player pool wrt club affiliations. 

Malmo, Rosenborg, Basel, Red Star and wherever Corbeanu goes on loan next (will probably be somewhere decent again) round out the roster, along with some solid MLS options with the likes Kaye, Osorio, Schaffleburg, Miller, etc. 

Can't forget Brym either. He's probably ready to compete for a place in the Sparta Rotterdam side now. 

Edited by Obinna

I didn't really realize it until the draw today, but Belgium has 3 clubs remaining in the quarterfinals of European club competitions. Union Saint-Gilloise in Europa League and Anderlecht and Gent in Europa Conference League. This on top of Club Bruges making it out of their Champions League group. That's all pretty great for the league, and we could do worse than getting more players there.

40 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I didn't really realize it until the draw today, but Belgium has 3 clubs remaining in the quarterfinals of European club competitions. Union Saint-Gilloise in Europa League and Anderlecht and Gent in Europa Conference League. This on top of Club Bruges making it out of their Champions League group. That's all pretty great for the league, and we could do worse than getting more players there.

This string of positive results has moved the Belgian league from 13th to 8th in UEFA's country coefficient rankings, tied for the highest position it has ever had in the last 20 years.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I've been watching Jupiler League games since David was at Ghent and the level of play is surprisingly good, even for teams in the relegation zone.  Quite a physical league and players have a high level of technique.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Indeed. Sometimes we talk about Belgium being a "slight" step up, or even lateral, but how many MLS clubs would get this far in European competition? The top half of Belgium is on par or better than MLS. The bottom half is probably on par with MLS. Not sure about the relegation threatened clubs, but I don't have a big reason to think they are clearly lesser than the bottom MLS teams. 

12 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

This almost looked like a Herdman-style planned “injury” - he didn’t even pull up, he was standing still and suddenly decided to sit down on the pitch. May have just been precautionary. I guess we will see

I find it hard to believe he would leave a game they were losing 1-0 just to manufacture an excuse.  Maybe I am naive though.  

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, ahmedou said:

Still a lot of things to improve or to work.

A one-dimensional player.

Lack of IQ. 

Running without thinking. Nonchalant.

Serie A will learn him the basis of football. That's the perfect league for his development.

Interesting take. I don’t agree with anything you said other than the last part.

Edited by Shway