Tajon Buchanan

nolando

1 hour ago, Honest Footy Fan said:

Yup, they wanted him to come back and make inverted runs, and they looked off him a lot as well. #4, Nsoki? looked him off multiple times when TB had acres of space.  
It was a very slow, lethargic pace, mainly focused on feeding CDK and building something of that.   

That said, Tajon looked fine, showed flashes of being the most electric player on the pitch, and was rock solid defensively. Oh, he also megged that man and got yellows drawn. 

He will grow, and will beast. Just time…

For sure, he looked like he was trying to stick to the gameplan for game 1. Once he gets comfortable it'll be exciting to see him take this league over

It seemed like he was ready to make Ryan behind the defences and was trying to anticipate through balls that never came. The comparison to David that way in his first year seems appropriate.  I suspect Tajon will settle in very quickly though.   He certainly did enough today to warrant his continued inclusion.   

Knew I wouldn't be able to catch the game live.  I have no idea why DAZN defaults to Spoilers mode, which seems like the dumbest way to handle that.

Anyway, that field looked like it was in rough shape.  Buchannan looked good, especially considering he's not even in game shape yet.  Have to think Brugge is already laughing over that buy and what they'll eventually sell him on for.

1 hour ago, Xavier. said:

This kid is incredible. Its amazing how we get these guys (David and Buchanan) coming seemingly out of nowhere and thriving in Europe. I know its one game, but i think this guy will go to a top 5 league in a year or two....could depend on what happens at the WC for him. 

Honestly, knowing that there are probably more guys like these two coming, I'm way less anxious about what our supposed academy 18 year old  "saviour" duels will do!

47 minutes ago, Vasi said:

This kid is incredible. Its amazing how we get these guys (David and Buchanan) coming seemingly out of nowhere and thriving in Europe. I know its one game, but i think this guy will go to a top 5 league in a year or two....could depend on what happens at the WC for him. 

Honestly, knowing that there are probably more guys like these two coming, I'm way less anxious about what our supposed academy 18 year old  "saviour" duels will do!

Yeah you hope the depth keeps coming.  We’re not there yet, but in a couple years I believe we’ll have really good players (some likely on the squad now) who will be left off

1 hour ago, PopePouri said:

He's more of an out-and-out-winger than Almiron. 

For sure.

However, both are very direct in the way they play, always looking to take players on. They both have a slight build and seem to run the same way too. Both also have goals in their locker.

Tajon is a few inches taller though in height (and hair....to your point @gigi riva :)).

Edited by Obinna

15 hours ago, Xavier. said:

Wait... those are all from ONE GAME!?

I think the thing that stands out to me over some of the up and comers is that this guy is alot stronger on the ball... like Corbeanu can make moves but you have to foul Tajon to get him off the ball. No offense to the Jupiler League but I can't see Buchanan there for very long, it's clearly a stepping stone(and yes I feel comfortable saying that even though he just got there).

Looking at those highlights along with his play for Canada and in MLS this past year,  i see the strongest evidence ever that scouting in Europe is deficient and loaded with Nationalistic biases when it comes to evaluating talent from abroad.   I'll bet, if you put a Brazilian or Argentinian flag next to his name, he (the identical player) would be playing in a top 4 league for one of the better clubs instead of Brugge.     

I always believed that its talent that counts and determines where you end up all the while acknowledging that what country you come from matters somewhat.  But with TB,  here's proof that if you are Canadian or american, you will not get fair opportunity, like a south american for example, in europe .  How the hell could this guy not have gotten a better offer from a better club?    Baffling

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

I always believed that its talent that counts and determines where you end up all the while acknowledging that what country you come from matters somewhat.

I can remember a time IIRC that Paul Fenwick played on one of the more high profile teams than the majority of the players on our NT.  Never discount the effects of timing, injuries, attitudes, politics and good 'ol luck.

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

I think he did have an offer from Freiburg?  but decided on Brugge. It's all good. He will end up in a top 4/5 league soon enough. He may have decided to take the David approach and test himself in Belgium first.

I thought it was Augsburg.    

Edit.: Xtratime radio podcast mentioned something about an offer of 3-4 mill for TB.    It was rejected 

Edited by Free kick

6 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I thought it was Augsburg.    

Edit.: Xtratime radio podcast mentioned something about an offer of 3-4 mill from TB.    It was rejected 

He also got an offer from Augsburg but didn't consider it.

The final decision was between Club Brugge and Freiburg, or at least those were the teams he visited during the All Star break. 

9 hours ago, Colliedor said:

Think people jumping the gun a little.

He played really well but it was 1 game. And the team was absolutely brutal. Looked like Cincinnati. Possession numbers was insane. Let's see how he does against better opponents before screaming that he should've went to a better league/team.

Pretty much this. It's not a guarantee making the jump from MLS to Europe. Brugge is a fine level for Tajon right now. If he lights it up this year and moves on after one year, great. If this is the correct level for him right now and he becomes a consistent/important player with Club Brugge, that's good too. Although I'm confident he could have excelled at a higher level, if he would have taken a step too big and struggled, it would have been a set back for him and a waste of valuable time finding his appropriate level. I'd rather see him take calculated incremental steps upwards as long as he is progressing. He's turning 23 in a month, he's not that young, and if he's to be playing a top level by the time he reaches his prime, he'll need to make the right careers moves.

10 minutes ago, frmr said:

Pretty much this. It's not a guarantee making the jump from MLS to Europe. Brugge is a fine level for Tajon right now. If he lights it up this year and moves on after one year, great. If this is the correct level for him right now and he becomes a consistent/important player with Club Brugge, that's good too. Although I'm confident he could have excelled at a higher level, if he would have taken a step too big and struggled, it would have been a set back for him and a waste of valuable time finding his appropriate level. I'd rather see him take calculated incremental steps upwards as long as he is progressing. He's turning 23 in a month, he's not that young, and if he's to be playing a top level by the time he reaches his prime, he'll need to make the right careers moves.

I get it but let’s remember there have been many players that have gone straight from the MLS to top leagues in Europe and done well . Guys like Brian McBride , Clint Dempsey Landon Donovan to name a few . Tajon showed just about the same potential as these players that I mentioned above in his two years in the MLS . Therefore, it was not a stretch that many thought he could have gone straight to a bigger league. However, with the history of players that have gone on to bigger leagues from the Belgian league it’s not a bad place to be for him right now .

7 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

I get it but let’s remember there have been many players that have gone straight from the MLS to top leagues in Europe and done well . Guys like Brian McBride , Clint Dempsey Landon Donovan to name a few . Tajon showed just about the same potential as these players that I mentioned above in his two years in the MLS . Therefore, it was not a stretch that many thought he could have gone straight to a bigger league. However, with the history of players that have gone on to bigger leagues from the Belgian league it’s not a bad place to be for him right now .

Clint Dempsey had three productive seasons at NE.

Buchanan had one productive season at NE.

Let's pump the breaks a little bit on the idea he should have made a bigger move, or comparing his trajectory to Clint Dempsey's. They have similar qualities, sure, but Clint was clearly more proven when he moved. 

Club Brugge will prove to be a fine landing spot for TB. I believe he'll do some great things in Belgium. 

7 minutes ago, Free kick said:

what about Pepi then?

Edit:

Or Gianluca Busio?

Or Tanner Tesseman?

Or Miguel Almiron?

Miguel Almiron was easily more proven than Buchanan was, that one is straight forward.

Pepi is equally proven, but is 4 years younger than Buchanan, hence the (significantly) bigger fee and top 5 league move.

Busio is equally proven, but is 3 years younger than Buchanan, hence the (marginally) bigger fee and top 5 league move.

Tesseman hasn't done enough to even be part of this conversation IMO.

I don't think Venezia or Augsburg are better moves just because they play in better leagues, especially for Buchanan. I think Brugge was the right move for him. Easier for him to shine in Belgium.