Ferdi Kadioglu

Ansem

On 9/4/2021 at 2:34 PM, baulderdash77 said:

If he never plays for England again, Tomori becomes eligible the week before Qatar 2022 kicks off.

If we make it to the World Cup we should all get on the Tomori train.

Until then there’s no need to consider him.

Let's be real. If we've made the World Cup, the job is done. Everything else is gravy. Is Herdman really going to bump a guy who helped us get there for Tomori? I'm sure Tomori makes us a better team but that would be harsh.

If Tomori ever plays for us, it would be after the next World Cup.

1 minute ago, Yoginess said:

Let's be real. If we've made the World Cup, the job is done. Everything else is gravy. Is Herdman really going to bump a guy who helped us get there for Tomori? I'm sure Tomori makes us a better team but that would be harsh.

Tomori would be the best defender in our player pool for Canada (assuming Davies continues to play LW).  If we make the World Cup and he’s available we would be foolish to not call up the best defender in our player pool.

13 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

I totally understand the thinking, and in any other case when it comes to the dual targets, I would agree.  But this is a 23 year old guy playing for an Italian giant who would address our biggest area of need, and who could anchor our defence for the next two or three cycles.  And if we didn’t get him in advance if the WC, there is no guarantee that he would come after that - and might once again get called up by England to end all hope.  Let’s face it, calling him up for the next Gold Cup simply wouldn’t be the same sort of incentive. 

Plus we would be playing a series of friendlies in the build up to Qatar.  I am assuming he could suit up for us prior to November if it was for a friendly, so there would be an opportunity to integrate him into the squad.  

I recognize that it would be a bit risky for a guy who preaches team chemistry, but for me the potential benefits outweigh the risk.  And I think it could be done in a way that wouldn’t disrupt the team’s harmony.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

Nobody is saying “poor Sam Piette.  Eustaquio came in and took his starting spot”.  We all like Piette but we are all happy that Eustaquio is great.

Kamal Miller is a good player, but the jump up for Canada from Miller to Tomori would be massive as an example.

This is all theoretical but let’s be honest- that jump up could make the difference between leaving the World Cup without a point and winning or drawing a game.  

edit- just to add.  At this moment if he was in our player pool, Tomori would be the 3rd best overall in our player pool.  According to Transfermarkt he would be the 5th most valuable player in CONCACAF.  Basically at the level or even higher than David.  Adding another player of that caliber to our roster would be profound- especially since it’s our weakest spot.  We would be in contention with the US and Mexico for top spot in CONCACAF.  It would really move the needle.

Edited by baulderdash77

That is crazy ! If We have world class players wanting to come play for Canada because they can play in the World Cup, your gonna say no just because they have options? That’s so Small thinking. 

CB Tomori is eligible but has to wait until 2022 to join. 

having a player pool with Tomori and Fredi and the players we have now OMG that Training Camp will be SO exciting!!! 

Edited by SpecialK

4 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

That is crazy ! If We have world class players wanting to come play for Canada because they can in World Cup, your gonna say no just because they have options? That’s so Small thinking. 

CB Tomori is eligible but has to wait until 2022 to join. 

having a player pool with Tomori and Fredi and the players we have now OMG that Training Camp will be SO exciting!!! 

He doesn’t currently have options. He has one option because he said no to us. I’m not going drop someone who would die to play for us because Tomori wants to play in a World Cup. Agree to disagree I guess

Edited by Fullback

I don't see Herdman letting Toromi just waltz into the program unless he is fully committed, whatever that looks like. I can also imagine the players will have a say, they are a family after all.

If the group is cool and Herdman is cool and Henry for instances misses out on the world cup as a result, then I don't see a problem.

Being part of qualifying is never a golden ticket. Many players have helped their country without ever getting to the big dance themselves.

That's just the way the cookie crumbles. If you are part of the family and are committed to the greater good, you just take it in stride.

18 minutes ago, Fullback said:

He doesn’t currently have options. He has one option because he said no to us. I’m not going drop someone who would die to play for us because Tomori wants to play in a World Cup. Agree to disagree I guess

You're assuming anyone on our roster would say no to England if called up in order to play for Canada.  

This debate has been on here a few times, but there's a good amount of guys on our current roster who hoped for other calls before taking ours. We'd obviously take Ferdi, Tomori, etc etc if they decided to prioritize us. Our pool is getting better, but we're still not in a position to turn away good talent

16 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

This debate has been on here a few times, but there's a good amount of guys on our current roster who hoped for other calls before taking ours. We'd obviously take Ferdi, Tomori, etc etc if they decided to prioritize us. Our pool is getting better, but we're still not in a position to turn away good talent

This 100%.

Have we already forgotten the drams/trials of guys like Junior (waiting for England call?"), Eustáquio (Portual youth international), Cavallini (dammit, I played for Canada!), and of course Steven "I played against Canada in Canada" Vitoria!!! 

Well a year ago Kennedy, Buchanon and Johnston were not first on the team sheet, or on it at all eh?  Things can change fast...our weakest position was RB not long ago.  So I still have hope that we might get some more help from youngsters (or 20 somethings) finding some form between now and a potential WC.    Guys like Pasher, SIngh, Priso, Corbeanu, Baldisimo, Akinola, Breza still have time to make their case.  And if more established guys like Millar, Cornelius, James, Akinola, Akindele, ZBG etc can turn it up a notch, it'll be a hard squad to crack...if we qualify in 2022.  So you wishy washy duals better get in and commit early before the team is all full.  

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Well a year ago Kennedy, Buchanon and Johnston were not first on the team sheet, or on it at all eh?  Things can change fast...our weakest position was RB not long ago.  So I still have hope that we might get some more help from youngsters (or 20 somethings) finding some form between now and a potential WC.    Guys like Pasher, SIngh, Priso, Corbeanu, Baldisimo, Akinola, Breza still have time to make their case.  And if more established guys like Millar, Cornelius, James, Akinola, Akindele, ZBG etc can turn it up a notch, it'll be a hard squad to crack...if we qualify in 2022.  So you wishy washy duals better get in and commit early before the team is all full.  

Yeah this is typically how it happens. Guys seemingly make a huge leap forward out of nowhere (David, Tajon, Kennedy were all being tracked but really burst onto the scene). Davies is the exception that proves the rule. 

I'm kind of hoping 2-3 guys pop out of nowhere. 

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I get your point, and i agree our depth looks great and who knows who takes those next steps. But are you really saying that if any of Tomori, Jebbison, Ferdi, Dias, or Flores changed their mind tomorrow, in a month, or in a year, you'd really turn them down? Granted of those, Dias and Flores probably don't crack our lineup until next cycle.

Also worth pointing out this time last year Akinola, Singh, and Corbeanu were all still "wishy washy duals"

Just now, Approve My Account Pls said:

I get your point, and i agree our depth looks great and who knows who takes those next steps. But are you really saying that if any of Tomori, Jebbison, Ferdi, Dias, or Flores changed their mind tomorrow, in a month, or in a year, you'd really turn them down? Granted of those, Dias and Flores probably don't crack our lineup until next cycle.

Also worth pointing out this time last year Akinola, Singh, and Corbeanu were all still "wishy washy duals"

No one is turning away ANY player regardless of how good or bad they are. I think it's more about promising playing time to players. If dual national X wants to commit to us, great he's in. He still has to earn his spot on the team one way or another. Other than Tomori, none of these guys have proven they're locked in starting players through their club careers. 

26 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

No one is turning away ANY player regardless of how good or bad they are. I think it's more about promising playing time to players. If dual national X wants to commit to us, great he's in. He still has to earn his spot on the team one way or another. Other than Tomori, none of these guys have proven they're locked in starting players through their club careers. 

Yeah, I think the one reason Ferdi is now contemplating Canada is because we're in high stakes matches and Herdman is telling him that he'll get minutes whereas it seems the Dutch aren't even talking to him about senior opportunities and Turkey might be talking but aren't willing to give him the time Canada is.

edit: Just wanted to add that Şenol Güneş apparently spoke with Ferdi at the beginning of the year, but that didn't lead anywhere as Ferdi opted to continue with the Dutch U21 squad and now he's aged out of that and Güneş is gone amid a number of issues with Turkey.

Turkey could either scramble and add new blood quick for October or get a new guy in who will try to steady the ship with veterans. We'll have to see. I'm guessing Herdman will call him up again in October as a courtesy and we'll go from there.

Edited by VinceA

If we make Qatar we'll see how we will have had a core and then some peripheral players, and some guys may come in new and make a mark. So I think we won't be going forward with much sentimentalism, and if we are able to shift a few and call-up some quality we will. 

That said, re Tomori, it'd be hard to call in someone who has never even played for us. Now if he were open to friendlies and played some in the lead up, how could you argue with that? 

In any case, since a CB in a thin pool could go down injured in the lead up you have to keep paths open, you can't state a principle ("only those helping us get there will go") then have reality come and force you to back down. 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That said, re Tomori, it'd be hard to call in someone who has never even played for us. Now if he were open to friendlies and played some in the lead up, how could you argue with that? 

Remember Tomori did play for Canada vs England and that camp. Davies was there. 
I think everyone is fearing the lack chemistry argument and we see Jamaica. Really it’s only 1-4 guys coming in not like Jamaica where is it’s like 8-10. Plus you can all Quote me here Herdman  is a better manger then Tappa. Herdman is very detailed( sometimes over thinks things).  Tomori and Ferdi are world class players they would be fine. 
I don’t know if he could or would want to but I love to see Tomori come out and say I am switching to Canada and be at some camps, so he can train with guys and be involved with the team. 

2 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Remember Tomori did play for Canada vs England and that camp. Davies was there. 
I think everyone is fearing the lack chemistry argument and we see Jamaica. Really it’s only 1-4 guys coming in not like Jamaica where is it’s like 8-10. Plus you can all Quote me here Herdman  is a better manger then Tappa. Herdman is very detailed( sometimes over thinks things).  Tomori and Ferdi are world class players they would be fine. 
I don’t know if he could or would want to but I love to see Tomori come out and say I am switching to Canada and be at some camps, so he can train with guys and be involved with the team. 

No Davies at the Canada v England match that Tomori captained Canada. I’ll see if I can dig out the program. 

2 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

No Davies at the Canada v England match that Tomori captained Canada. I’ll see if I can dig out the program. 

? Davies was definitely there at that camp and I’m pretty sure he started the match. I distinctly recall the British play by play talking about the fact that Canada was playing several 15 / 16 year olds in reference to Davies and Tabla.