Ferdi Kadioglu

Ansem

7 minutes ago, VinceA said:

For Jebbison or Ferdi they'd have to file a one-time switch and would be cap-tied as soon as FIFA processes that.

This is what I thought re Akinola, but someone pointed out to me that technically before they become cap tied in a match, they have the option to switch back to their original federation

10 minutes ago, El Diego said:

This is what I thought re Akinola, but someone pointed out to me that technically before they become cap tied in a match, they have the option to switch back to their original federation

Calling it a "one-time switch" then would defeat the purpose.

I will say there is some confusion about the whole thing. I remember Boakai got a call-up to Liberia which meant he'd need to file a one-time switch as he played for us at youth level tourneys but he then didn't join the team due to a plane ticket issue so the question of did he ever actually file the switch is still up in the air. Granted his career is probably over so it is irrelevant.

8 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I will say there is some confusion about the whole thing. I remember Boakai got a call-up to Liberia which meant he'd need to file a one-time switch as he played for us at youth level tourneys but he then didn't join the team due to a plane ticket issue so the question of did he ever actually file the switch is still up in the air. Granted his career is probably over so it is irrelevant.

We call it a one time switch colloquially. FIFA calls it a 'change of association'. But once the switch is filed, any cap (friendly included) becomes cap tying.

25 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I am all for us spitefully cap-tying Boakai.

Ferdi is still eligible to play for the Netherlands and seeing as how they just qualified for Qatar, I wonder if he holds out hope in trying to play for them? 

But then again if Turkey also qualifies via the UEFA playoff to get to Qatar, he could even choose to play for them too

However, Canada if we qualify for Qatar, then he could play for us too

Which sets up an interesting conundrum especially if all 3 countries in this scenario are in Qatar

Because he has ties to all 3 countries

Which is why I hope against all hope that he does choose us

58 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Indeed, but as has been pointed out that's just a term fans use. That being said, I don't think this 'one time switch back' has ever been done, or ever will be done. Practically speaking, a player will only go through the hassle of filing the switch if a call up to the new association is imminent -- no one is filing it just cause.

5 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Anyone really watched and followed Ferdi over the past 2 seasons? If so  is he going to be much of an upgrade to our team? It's unlikely he will be eligible to play for us during  WCQ so who does Herdman drop at the 11th hr? 

It might not be as unlikely as we think. If Herdman is talking to him I'm sure he's informing him of this dilemma if he doesn't commit in the next 2 windows. 

Just now, CanadaFan123 said:

It might not be as unlikely as we think. If Herdman is talking to him I'm sure he's informing him of this dilemma if he doesn't commit in the next 2 windows. 

He needs to file his "one time" switch though. Not sure how long that takes...that's why I speculated not by March

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Anyone really watched and followed Ferdi over the past 2 seasons? If so  is he going to be much of an upgrade to our team? It's unlikely he will be eligible to play for us during  WCQ so who does Herdman drop at the 11th hr? 

I’ve watched him a lot over the past couple of seasons. Honestly I think he was better last year when he played more as a winger. This year they’ve added some older players and his role is less attacking.  That being said he’s still young and to me, he’s the only current dual national that will help us in Qatar. The others are younger/playing at a lower level. He can play midfield or wing, so I could see him taking Wotherspoon’s spot.

7 minutes ago, Weng said:

Apparently Fenerbahce offered him a new 5 year contract.  But there is another team from Istanbul that is also interested.  Interesting to see what he does.

After a quick twitter search the name that keeps popping up is Trabzonspor but they aren't from Istanbul. There was also:

Ertem Şener: "Can we see Ferdi Kadıoğlu in Portugal and Italy matches, Sir?"

National Team Assistant Coach Kenan Koçak: "It would not be right for me to comment on this. Whether it's Hamit Hodja or us, everyone is trying their best. But the National Team is a work of the heart."

49 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

I’ve watched him a lot over the past couple of seasons. Honestly I think he was better last year when he played more as a winger. This year they’ve added some older players and his role is less attacking.  That being said he’s still young and to me, he’s the only current dual national that will help us in Qatar. The others are younger/playing at a lower level. He can play midfield or wing, so I could see him taking Wotherspoon’s spot.

As I say I only saw last night, but he seemed like a quick and dynamic attacking mid with a good defensive pace. Is that right? 

If he's a mid who can attack, but also play with other mids and combine, that helps us. If he's a pure wing, then maybe less so. But tell us more about what his virtues are.

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

I’ve seen his Europa games.  He’s usually the LW starter on his team but also comes off the bench occasionally.  They play at 3-5-2 or sometimes a 4-3-3. 

*edit* His playing style is that of a hard working winger.  Good but not exceptional speed, very good passing, good dribbling, defensively responsible.

Canada is swimming in strong wing talent at the moment but he could definitely be a solid reserve option for us.  He’s not an really different style of player than Millar and they play at a similar level of club.

He would be in the mix for minutes for sure.

Edited by baulderdash77

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As I say I only saw last night, but he seemed like a quick and dynamic attacking mid with a good defensive pace. Is that right? 

If he's a mid who can attack, but also play with other mids and combine, that helps us. If he's a pure wing, then maybe less so. But tell us more about what his virtues are.

That’s a fair assessment. He can help us in midfield more than the wing. I don’t believe he has pace to match most of our current crop of wingers. 

2 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

That’s a fair assessment. He can help us in midfield more than the wing. I don’t believe he has pace to match most of our current crop of wingers. 

To be fair, few countries in the world have the pace to match our wingers.  Davies, Buchanan, Laryea, Shaffleburg - these guys are all speed demons down the wing.  Canada has so much attacking pace out wide.

I have sort of followed Turkey's results, but haven't watched any matches. With that being said, I don't understand how they could call him up for the play offs or the WC itself if they make it. He seems like a decent player, but not a can't miss guy. I don't think Turkey can introduce him at this stage, but next Euro/Nations League cycle seems logical.

3 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Ferdi is still eligible to play for the Netherlands and seeing as how they just qualified for Qatar, I wonder if he holds out hope in trying to play for them? 

But then again if Turkey also qualifies via the UEFA playoff to get to Qatar, he could even choose to play for them too

However, Canada if we qualify for Qatar, then he could play for us too

Which sets up an interesting conundrum especially if all 3 countries in this scenario are in Qatar

Because he has ties to all 3 countries

Which is why I hope against all hope that he does choose us

The Netherlands is highly unrealistic, they play in a 4-3-3 and they have many young talented 8s and wingers at the moment. The Turkey coach also said Ferdi will make a decision by March which presumably rules him of waiting for the Netherlands call up. Then there is Turkey where some fans are already calling him a traitor and despise him for using his Turkish eligibility to stay as a domestic player for Fenerbache when he isn't going to the national team. At this point I like Canada's chances especially because of the Herdman factor, he puts a lot of time and effort in these situations which players take notice of. 

17 minutes ago, Tyler55 said:

The Netherlands is highly unrealistic, they play in a 4-3-3 and they have many young talented 8s and wingers at the moment. The Turkey coach also said Ferdi will make a decision by March which presumably rules him of waiting for the Netherlands call up. Then there is Turkey where some fans are already calling him a traitor and despise him for using his Turkish eligibility to stay as a domestic player for Fenerbache when he isn't going to the national team. At this point I like Canada's chances especially because of the Herdman factor, he puts a lot of time and effort in these situations which players take notice of. 

It doesn’t hurt that we have like a 98% chance of playing in the next two world cups.  And have world class players.   And have an undeniable golden generation that other young players can be part of.   

Honestly, at this point, I don’t care who signs up.  We have good guys already playing for the red and white. If those with options want to hop on board and be part of this amazing team/experience/movement, then welcome aboard and be prepared to fight to get into a talented team.  But if they don’t, it doesn’t phase me a bit.   We will be just fine either way.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

It doesn’t hurt that we have like a 98% chance of playing in the next two world cups.  And have world class players.   And have an undeniable golden generation that other young players can be part of.   

Honestly, at this point, I don’t care who signs up.  We have good guys already playing for the red and white. If those with options want to hop on board and be part of this amazing team/experience/movement, then welcome aboard and be prepared to fight to get into a talented team.  But if they don’t, it doesn’t phase me a bit.   We will be just fine either way.  

Hallelujah, brother! My sentiments exactly.  

On 11/20/2021 at 6:01 AM, Sal333 said:

Whatever group Canada gets selected into will become the group of death. Hear me out.

FIFA's rankings, although revised are still weighted to the past strength or weakness of all the teams. When Canada met Mexico we were 48 I think and Mexico 14. Do you really think those rankings are a true picture of the strengths of those two teams? I don't.

Most likely we'll end up in pot 4 because the FIFA rankings are not  truly indicative of the strength of this team today. We'll get a better idea of how strong we are when we meet the USA. If we beat them then the argument can be made that Canada is somewhere pretty close to Mexico and the USA. Those two teams are 14 & 12 respectively.

That means Canada realistically is a pot 2 team. The rankings won't reflect that. So there'll be a pot 1 team,  2 pot 2 teams and a pot 3 team in our group. That's a group of death.

There is no way Mexico or the US should be ranked that high.

They are, but they are not one of the 15 best teams in the world.

Edited by Razcal

8 hours ago, Razcal said:

There is no way Mexico or the US should be ranked that high.

They are, but they are not one of the 15 best teams in the world.

That is based on, basically, winning the Gold Cup and qualifying for the WC. But the US has retained their rank even missing the GC. And Mexico, even losing to the US while being higher ranked.

The US has part of their ranking based on playing GC at home.

Plus playing a lot of friendlies.

In Concacaf, winning makes you skyrocket in rankings, as Canada is seeing.