Ferdi Kadioglu

Ansem

Herdman’s patient approach lead to Tabla windfall for Canada

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/herdmans-patient-approach-lead-tabla-windfall-canada/

What’s especially promising for Canadian soccer fans is that Herdman isn’t resting on his laurels, and has put together a list of other youngsters who like Tabla could represent other countries, and drafted a specific strategy for each player to convince them to play for Canada.

Herdman didn’t offer any specific names, but hinted that Ferdi Kadioglu is someone who is on his radar. Kadioglu is a 19-year-old Dutch midfielder who recently signed with Turkish side Fenerbahce. He’s played for the Netherlands at youth level, but hasn’t been capped by the Dutch senior team. Kadioglu is eligible to play for Canada because his mother was born here.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ferdi-kadioglu/profil/spieler/369316

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdi_Kadioglu

Date of Birth (Age): Oct 7, 1999 (18)

Attacking Midfield

Now plays at  Fenerbahçe in the Turkish Süper Lig

Herdman...Impresses me

Kadioglu, Ferreira, Tomori, Eustaquio and Gutierrez are all players probably still beyond reach but would be huge gets.

Thought Table was too far gone though...

The biggest thing is keeping those that grew up here and were part of the system as those players turning their backs really hurts us. The tide might be turning and seeing pleople like Hoilett but especially Davies and Tabla committing should be huge markers for young players to take notice of and be inspired by. 

The importance of 2026 can't be underestimated also. We might pick up a few players that wouldn't have committed otherwise but in turn that could be a launching pad for the next 10/20 years. 

Edited by toontownman
font sooooo BIG

Just now, SpursFlu said:

This guy looks pretty good.. eligible forctgis u20 cycle? Turns 20 next October

Yes he's eligible, but you can probably forget about him until after 2021 when the next U21 cycle is over and has exhausted age eligibility.

The best bet is for him to continue with the Netherlands until U21 is over, then hope he's not good enough for Turkey. If he's even close to good enough he'll play for them with a Turkish father and playing in the country.

I think we need to look at the world thru a new lense. Canada is very attractive to people around the world now especially since the rest of the world is not in a good place. If people have an opportunity there are a lot of good reasons to sink your claws in to Canada

Edited by SpursFlu

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Yes he's eligible, but you can probably forget about him until after 2021 when the next U21 cycle is over and has exhausted age eligibility.

The best bet is for him to continue with the Netherlands until U21 is over, then hope he's not good enough for Turkey. 

Very true, seems very committed to Holland and will end his youth career and try and establish himself with Fernabahçe as he’s signed a 4 year deal this summer.

Called up to U21 Euro Qualifier VS Ukraine and Latvia 

http://www.football-oranje.com/six-new-faces-in-netherlands-u21-squad-2/

They practically have been eliminated from contention for this one but since the U21 Championship is every two years look around Oct/Nov 2020 for qualifiers again once that cycle ends then it’s time or should they make it to the Final Tournament then: June/July 2021. 

Edited by Thomas

5 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I think we need to look at the world thru a new lense. Canada is very attractive to people around the world now especially since the rest of the world is not in a good place. If people have an opportunity there are a lot of good reasons to sink your claws in to Canada

And I would add having a professional soccer league plus 3 teams in MLS means there are real options to continue your professional career if it doesn't work out in Europe.

5 hours ago, Keegan said:

Well no kidding, he’s not switching to anyone before his Dutch aspirations are done.  That would end all his options.. he’s just 19.

Makes total sense. Herdman might be betting on the 2026 World Cup and hoping that Netherlands will be too deep to make place for him.

Otherwise, playing for Netherlands is the no brainer 

Good thing is he’s only half Turkish so he probably did not grow up in such an insular and isolated environment like those full blooded Turkish or Moroccan Europeans who always feel more like they belong to their mother countries first and birth nations a distant second.

On 9/27/2018 at 5:21 PM, El Hombre said:

Just read through that article and the next paragraph after the one posted has Herdman quoting Canucks Abroad.  I think with all the kudos going around, one is deserved for @Fussball_eh and team for the work they do.

Thanks man. It's a collaborative effort that includes many volunteers around the world and other stakeholders, including the Voyageurs.

I just bought my ticket for the game in Toronto. Please stop by and say hi :-).

• 9 months later...
25 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

Looks like he's been getting some decent minutes this pre-season 

Yeah he played in the Audi Cup against Bayern as a second half substitute. It was hard to judge his performance because Bayern were absolutely dominant and I was analyzing Davies anyways, so although it didn't seem like he did much, I won't hold it against him, because it didn't seem like too many Fenerbache players did.

I believe he also played in the 3rd place game versus Madrid, but I just don't have the time to go back and watch a player who isn't even in our system.

But I am curious to know how he did. It was a closer game so perhaps he was more involved, so if anyone did watch, please tell us how he did.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...