Ferdi Kadioglu

Ansem

For what it's worth, I played a Football Manager save last year where I managed Canada through the 2026 World Cup and I tried to recruit Ferdi for every international window. 2026 passed and by then he still hadn't made his decision. So I'll take it as a win that he's gonna decide by March 2022 in real life! 😅

45 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

For what it's worth, I played a Football Manager save last year where I managed Canada through the 2026 World Cup and I tried to recruit Ferdi for every international window. 2026 passed and by then he still hadn't made his decision. So I'll take it as a win that he's gonna decide by March 2022 in real life! 😅

Did you try and recruit IKE or Eustaquio...FLores etc??  How does it mirror what really happens?  Does Arfield stop accepting calls etc??  HAHAHHAHA!!  

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Did you try and recruit IKE or Eustaquio...FLores etc??  How does it mirror what really happens?  Does Arfield stop accepting calls etc??  HAHAHHAHA!!  

Haha it is pretty realistic and I did try alot of recruiting but there are some kinks in the game. For instance it somehow un-captied Liam Millar and he started holding out for an England call (although I did eventually get him back and he scored at a rate for me!). 

Ike wasn't listed as having Canadian citizenship so I couldn't get him, and Eustaquio had already committed IRL so I didn't need to recruit him in-game. As for Flores, Dias, Jebbison, etc. I don't believe they were in the game last year since they were too young. Arfield stayed on as my loyal captain and leader!

In general the players were real sticklers when it came to playing for Canada. Guys like Simon Colyn and Jordan Perruzza filed one-time switches to the Netherlands and Italy respectively despite never getting call-ups from those teams. So the game is fun but far from perfectly realistic!

So I feel like the Turkey coach is making this comment under the assumption Turkey will finish second in the group and have playoffs in March. If Turkey are out by the end of this window that changes a lot.

Looking at that group right now, they are battling Norway for the playoff spot and Norway is playing Holland in the final match which could very possibly decide who auto-qualifies and who goes to the playoff. So Holland won't be able to afford taking the day off against them.

Meanwhile Turkey has it a bit easier with Gibraltar and Montenegro. And assuming that Turkey beats up on them, in the event of a second place tie with Norway, they could very well steal away the tiebreaker (Norway is currently up by 5 goals in GD, but I expect Turkey know this and will aim to run up the score against Gibraltar). In order for a tie to occur, Turkey would win both matches and Norway would take 4 pts from the window. 

In an ideal scenario, Turkey drops points vs Montenegro and is eliminated as 3rd in the group and Ferdi joins up for January. My only question is let's say he waits until after the March window, given how much Herdman preaches the brotherhood, if only 23 men can go to Qatar would he still swap out one of the 'core' midfielders for him? I know from a pure talent basis Ferdi is good enough. I guess you'd have to drop Piette or Wotherspoon (or even a Hoilett) but something tells me that Herdman's loyalty to the 'brotherhood'/the boys that get us to the dance might take over in that situation.

Totally agree with @Approve My Account PlsTurkey have the more favourable fixtures. Likely comes down the Norway vs Holland game on Tuesday. Can see both Turkey and Norway winning tomorrow. Wouldn't rule out Montenegro getting something from Turkey too. as mentioned Norway have 5 goals better on GD right now and If Turkey and Norway both win tomorrow, a draw for Norway might be enough to put them through on Tuesday. 

If Turkey don't make the playoffs I think we could potentially see Ferdi as soon as January if we get favourable results this week. Maybe he holds out for Holland but I doubt he makes it into their squad. Just makes these two games for us even more important. It will be what it will be though. He would be a great addition but I don't think he is a gamechanger for our program. 

16 hours ago, toontownman said:

Totally agree with @Approve My Account PlsTurkey have the more favourable fixtures. Likely comes down the Norway vs Holland game on Tuesday. Can see both Turkey and Norway winning tomorrow. Wouldn't rule out Montenegro getting something from Turkey too. as mentioned Norway have 5 goals better on GD right now and If Turkey and Norway both win tomorrow, a draw for Norway might be enough to put them through on Tuesday. 

If Turkey don't make the playoffs I think we could potentially see Ferdi as soon as January if we get favourable results this week. Maybe he holds out for Holland but I doubt he makes it into their squad. Just makes these two games for us even more important. It will be what it will be though. He would be a great addition but I don't think he is a gamechanger for our program. 

I am not entirely sure how he plays, just based on what I've read. But: do we have a classic attacking mid on our squad? And who might that be? 

I think if it's Osorio, great, then it's Osorio. But it is Osorio who can play attacking mid--and really no one else. Tajon is an outside player, so is Davies, Millar. Laryea is outside. 

So I'd say a purer attacking mid, of the kind we saw with Arfield, definitely helps our overall depth. But really I should watch him some day, which I probably won't until he decides for us, unless it's vs. Besiktas or Hatayspor.

3 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Ferdi may not be committing to Turkey because he believes he still has a shot with the Dutch Sr. team… I think this is the more likely scenario. 

I do think there’s a good chance you’re right - Canada seems to be an afterthought with him and the Dutch call is what he really wants.

at the same time, he doesn’t look close at all to getting a Dutch call. There are at least 10 guys ahead of him at his position based on my quick look and opinion . I wonder if he’s heard anything from the Dutch staff about being on the verge of a call.

5 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I do think there’s a good chance you’re right - Canada seems to be an afterthought with him and the Dutch call is what he really wants.

at the same time, he doesn’t look close at all to getting a Dutch call. There are at least 10 guys ahead of him at his position based on my quick look and opinion . I wonder if he’s heard anything from the Dutch staff about being on the verge of a call.

It seems he is slowly coming to the realization that this isn't possible which leaves us and Turkey. The Netherlands have a very strong midfield with De Jong, Wijnaldum, de Roon and many young players for the future such as Ryan Gravenberch. His connection with Turkey seems strong considering his father is Turkish but he's only lived there since 2018. Ultimately we may lose out but I have faith in Herdman's persuasion skills, being apart of a team with legitimate European stars is enticing and something Turkey can't offer. 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm not sure how ties on points are decided, but I think Netherlands could end up entirely out if they don't beat Norway last fixture. 

Yup, if they lose they are out (unless Turkey has a surprise loss to Montenegro). If they and Turkey both finished on 21 pts, they likely finish first on goal differential and Turkey would go to the playoff. 

Important that Turkey now holds the GD over Norway, so in the event they both draw, Turkey still goes to the playoff 

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Great last day scenario. Norway completely messed it up. Think it will be a Turkey win and draw in the other game. Turkey through to the playoffs. Wouldn't rule out Montenegro pulling off a draw or shock win either. Shame they have nothing to play for. 

Georgia, with nothing to play for, just beat Sweden who needed a win to qualify for the WC. Now they need a win away at Spain today to go automatically. I think it is great these team with little to play for are able to play with such heart (and maybe bonuses, not sure how it works) and stymie these more powerful teams.

Which goes to show you: perhaps we will not find teams already eliminated in that last window, perhaps Costa Rica or Jamaica, that easy. Although it would seem that if Jamaica were out they'd not call in their best squad and that might help us. Other teams, however, like Costa Rica at home already eliminated, might be tough and keen for revenge.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Georgia, with nothing to play for, just beat Sweden who needed a win to qualify for the WC. Now they need a win away at Spain today to go automatically. I think it is great these team with little to play for are able to play with such heart (and maybe bonuses, not sure how it works) and stymie these more powerful teams.

Which goes to show you: perhaps we will not find teams already eliminated in that last window, perhaps Costa Rica or Jamaica, that easy. Although it would seem that if Jamaica were out they'd not call in their best squad and that might help us. Other teams, however, like Costa Rica at home already eliminated, might be tough and keen for revenge.

I agree with this.  Very few professional athletes will play a game at home in front of fans and mail it in for 90 minutes just because a win doesn’t mean anything in the qualification process.  I think one hope would be that the eliminated home team may underperform because they use the game as an opportunity to play fringe guys or bring in some new blood.  But I would be surprised if the guys on the field didn’t give 100%.  

On 11/16/2021 at 4:43 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Playoff draw will Friday, November 26th.

I think the November FIFA rankings will be released the day before but I think the Pots will be decided on other criteria ( group stage performance ).

From Wikipedia, basically 3 groups of 4, single game semi-final, final, winners go to World Cup, Pot 1 teams get home game for semis, draw for home game for finals.  Russia and Ukraine can't be in the same group.

Pot 1 (seeded)
Team Rank
23px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png Portugal 1
23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Scotland 2
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy 3
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia 4
23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden 5
23px-Flag_of_Wales.svg.png Wales 6
Pot 2 (unseeded)
Team Rank
23px-Flag_of_Turkey.svg.png Turkey 7
23px-Flag_of_Poland.svg.png Poland 8