Ferdi Kadioglu

Ansem

Just a general update:

1)
He is still getting regular playing time, with Fenerbahçe, often as a sub.

2)
The Turkish manager Senol Günes indeed spoke with him late last summer:
https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/1030474633/ferdi-kadioglu-oranje-gaat-het-lastig-krijgen-tegen-turkije
Kadıoğlu declined to file his switch then.

3)
Still with The Netherlands U21.
They had 3 matches in March:

Did not play in the 1st match.
https://www.uefa.com/under21/match/2030673--romania-vs-netherlands/
Came on for the injured Noa Lang at the 22nd minute in the 2nd match.
https://www.uefa.com/under21/match/2030675--germany-vs-netherlands/
Played 82 minutes in the third match.
https://www.uefa.com/under21/match/2030680--netherlands-vs-hungary/

The Netherlands U21 did qualify for the final 4 of the UEFA-U21 in late May / early June. This is great news.
This makes it very likely that he will be with the Dutch U21 squad then; he therefore won't get capped for the senior Dutch squad ( or file a one-time-switch for the Turkish squad ) for the senior EUROs.

The EUROs start June 11. Squads are due 10 days before that (June 1st); unless Kadıoğlu lights the Turkish League on fire in the next 8 matches at club level, this buys us (and him) a few more months before he has to make a senior team choice.

My take on him is that he will most likely play for Turkey where his club side is and his family roots are as he is likely not good enough for the Dutch side.  That being said, he may not be good enough to be a regular for the Turkish national side either at the moment.  If he’s smart, he focuses on his club side for the next year and establishes himself as a regular starter which likely will get him into the Turkish national team picture. O/w he risks switching and not playing, and then he is screwed.

I don’t think we really see him in a Canadian shirt unless (1) he doesn’t really develop enough to be a regular with Turkey in the next year and/or (2) we qualify and they don’t for next years World Cup.  And at that point, it’s possible that he won’t be good enough for us with the players we have (or are emerging) on the wing. 

38 minutes ago, An Observer said:

My take on him is that he will most likely play for Turkey where his club side is and his family roots are as he is likely not good enough for the Dutch side.  That being said, he may not be good enough to be a regular for the Turkish national side either at the moment.  If he’s smart, he focuses on his club side for the next year and establishes himself as a regular starter which likely will get him into the Turkish national team picture. O/w he risks switching and not playing, and then he is screwed.

I don’t think we really see him in a Canadian shirt unless (1) he doesn’t really develop enough to be a regular with Turkey in the next year and/or (2) we qualify and they don’t for next years World Cup.  And at that point, it’s possible that he won’t be good enough for us with the players we have (or are emerging) on the wing. 

Good Observation, of all of the duals I think he is the least likely to play for Canada.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

• 1 month later...

Kadioglu has generally seen his playing time drop as the season has gone on.

Today he's getting his first start in the Süper Lig since mid-December and his first start since his February 9th match in the Turkish Cup.
https://twitter.com/Fenerbahce/status/1393601003640049664

---

He has been named to the preliminary 31-man Dutch U-21 squad for later this month:
https://www.onsoranje.nl/nieuws/jong-oranje/78963/voorlopige-selectie-jong-oranje-knock-outfase-ek

For those who want to compare, here is the Dutch 34-man preliminary squad senior for the EUROs:
https://www.onsoranje.nl/nieuws/nederlands-elftal/78966/de-boer-maakt-voorlopige-ek-selectie-oranje-bekend
(There are obviously a lot of big names in that list)

And for those who want to compare, here is the 30-man Turkish senior squad for their training camp before the EUROs:
https://www.tff.org/default.aspx?pageID=628&ftxtID=35106
(Obviously plenty of top players in that list as well)

---

On his Insta he still only has the Dutch and Turkish flags on his profile.
However, he's clearly following the developments of the #CanMNT team; he posted a congratulatory comment on the Insta of former NEC Nijmegen teammate Sturing's post about his #CanMNT debut (and goal).

44 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

On his Insta he still only has the Dutch and Turkish flags on his profile.
However, he's clearly following the developments of the #CanMNT team; he posted a congratulatory comment on the Insta of former NEC Nijmegen teammate Sturing's post about his #CanMNT debut (and goal).

or maybe he is just casually congratulating a former teammate...

Edited by LeoH037

57 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

or maybe he is just casually congratulating a former teammate...

...on his Canada debut.

Maybe "following the developments of the #CanMNT team" is worded too strongly on my part.

-----

EDIT: Kadioglu subbed out at the half & Fenerbahçe are still losing.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Shway said:

I watched the game....nothing was impressive about him.
France looked like Man City, and Netherlands looked like Chelsea - just looking to break on the counter, which they did so perfectly.

That France team was absolutely stacked. Almost all of their players are starters for top 4/5 leagues

8 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Why are we still following this guy? He said he wants to represent Netherlands or Turkey. He doesn't feel a connection to Canada

Ferdi has the same connection to Canada that most of the players have to Surinam and Jamaica that they have added to their respective rosters.  Until he is cap-tied by either of the two nations he "prefers", he remains eligible to play for us.

That said, I don't think he is a starter for us now, or potentially in the future, but could be a nice depth add if he wants international football and it doesn't come with Netherlands or Turkey.

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

Ferdi has the same connection to Canada that most of the players have to Surinam and Jamaica that they have added to their respective rosters. 

Big difference between the connection as we judge it and the connection that he personally feels. Totally different from the Suriname guys.

3 hours ago, Ivan said:

Ferdi has the same connection to Canada that most of the players have to Surinam and Jamaica that they have added to their respective rosters.  Until he is cap-tied by either of the two nations he "prefers", he remains eligible to play for us.

That said, I don't think he is a starter for us now, or potentially in the future, but could be a nice depth add if he wants international football and it doesn't come with Netherlands or Turkey.

Maybe I am missing something, and/or taking my assumptions too far, but I really do assume the Dutch and English players, for the most part anyways, have cultural ties to the Netherlands and England respectively. I have not seen anything suggesting Ferdi has any cultural ties to Canada, so I don't see how you are making the comparison, unless you are just speaking about eligibility when you say "same connection".

If anything, Ferdi to Turkey is a near-perfect analogy as *insert Dutch player here* to Suriname.

The difference of course is the Turk population in the Netherlands grew out of economic migration, while the Suriname population in the Netherlands is more deeply rooted and a relic of the colonial past.

Also, Ferdi probably starts against Suriname if he were in our camp today.

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

Big difference between the connection as we judge it and the connection that he personally feels. Totally different from the Suriname guys.

With all due respect Marc, how do you know the connection the Suriname guys felt?  I would imagine many of them dreamt of playing for Holland, but used Suriname as a international football option when their dreams weren't realised.  Again, pure speculation on my part to which I feel your statement is just as much speculation.

52 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Maybe I am missing something, and/or taking my assumptions too far, but I really do assume the Dutch and English players, for the most part anyways, have cultural ties to the Netherlands and England respectively. I have not seen anything suggesting Ferdi has any cultural ties to Canada, so I don't see how you are making the comparison, unless you are just speaking about eligibility when you say "same connection".

If anything, Ferdi to Turkey is a near-perfect analogy as *insert Dutch player here* to Suriname.

The difference of course is the Turk population in the Netherlands grew out of economic migration, while the Suriname population in the Netherlands is more deeply rooted and a relic of the colonial past.

Also, Ferdi probably starts against Suriname if he were in our camp today.

On the first bolded statement, yeah possibly (I assume this is where @The Real Marcis going as well above), but really, I was speaking to the same eligibility connection.

On the second bolded statement, I say "not a chance".  Who do you suggest he replaces?  The guy who finished second in scoring in the same league in which he is a part time player?  Davies or David?  Maybe Cav, although they are different players.  Heck, I would say he would have a tough time beating out Buchanon at this point.

32 minutes ago, Ivan said:

On the second bolded statement, I say "not a chance".  Who do you suggest he replaces?  The guy who finished second in scoring in the same league in which he is a part time player?  Davies or David?  Maybe Cav, although they are different players.  Heck, I would say he would have a tough time beating out Buchanon at this point.

I would say he takes up one of the midfield spots in a 3 man midfield, giving us a little more offense from that part of the field.