Ferdi Kadioglu

Ansem

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Ferdi wasnt named to Turkey's squad

Still dont think he'll be with Canada this window but Turkey might be cutting it close if they dont get him in soon and we're getting closer to qualifying for Qatar

Squad is here:

https://tff.org/default.aspx?pageID=628&ftxtID=36124

Hopefully he hasn't filed his switch.

Apparently complicating matters is that Ferdi doesn't actually have a Turkish passport!

http://www.fanatik.com.tr/amp/stefan-kuntzdan-son-dakika-ferdi-kadioglu-aciklamasi-2244730

He is in Turkey on a "blue card", which is like a US "green card" but only for those of Turkish ancestry.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_nationality_law

The Dutch really make it difficult for people with dual citizenship:

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_nationality_law

35 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Good that he is keeping his options open but I wonder if he actually thinks he's close to a Dutch call. Obviously he's young and can develop but he wouldn't even get a call to their Z-team right now.  

Apparently Ferdi's father has said that the Turkish Federation hasn't made serious overtures to him yet. 

Still seems his most likely future is with Turkey so I wont lose sleep on this one but he would be a good piece for us to add.

5 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Good that he is keeping his options open but I wonder if he actually thinks he's close to a Dutch call. Obviously he's young and can develop but he wouldn't even get a call to their Z-team right now.  

Apparently Ferdi's father has said that the Turkish Federation hasn't made serious overtures to him yet. 

Still seems his most likely future is with Turkey so I wont lose sleep on this one but he would be a good piece for us to add.

If we're sitting top 3 by end of November, potential at 2 straight world cups is pretty enticing. 

41 minutes ago, king1010 said:

If we're sitting top 3 by end of November, potential at 2 straight world cups is pretty enticing. 

You've got to think that match yesterday helps our chances. if (not) Haaland and co. can do us a favour and hand Turkey an L this afternoon, Turkey's chances for Qatar may be pretty deep in the mud

Edited by Approve My Account Pls
@Weng schooled me

I think a Turkey draw is actually best.  Therefore to avoid Turkey being eliminated early and calling fringe players.  All could be a moot point if he cannot / has not filed his switch yet.

Tomori hurts a little more given he was born in Canada and represented our youth program.  Also head and shoulders above all our other dual nationals currently and at a spot we are not too deep in.  However, like Tomori, Ferdi has very little affiliation to Canada which makes it that much more difficult.  He clearly feels Dutch & Turkish and just happens to also be eligible for Canada.  The lure of a World Cup is our only hope with him but he clearly feels much more Dutch and Turkish than Canadian.  The positives are that he is likely very far from ever featuring for the senior Dutch squad and that Turkey will consistently struggle to qualify to major tournaments.

37 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I think a Turkey draw is actually best.  Therefore to avoid Turkey being eliminated early and calling fringe players.  All could be a moot point if he cannot / has not filed his switch yet.

Tomori hurts a little more given he was born in Canada and represented our youth program.  Also head and shoulders above all our other dual nationals currently and at a spot we are not too deep in.  However, like Tomori, Ferdi has very little affiliation to Canada which makes it that much more difficult.  He clearly feels Dutch & Turkish and just happens to also be eligible for Canada.  The lure of a World Cup is our only hope with him but he clearly feels much more Dutch and Turkish than Canadian.  The positives are that he is likely very far from ever featuring for the senior Dutch squad and that Turkey will consistently struggle to qualify to major tournaments.

If Turkey's eliminated and Ferdi chooses to take a meaningless cap tie match over a chance at Qatar with us, then we never had a chance in the first place

4 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

If Turkey's eliminated and Ferdi chooses to take a meaningless cap tie match over a chance at Qatar with us, then we never had a chance in the first place

True.

43 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I think a Turkey draw is actually best.  Therefore to avoid Turkey being eliminated early and calling fringe players.

But they can't call him in quickly. They'd look to other fringe players.

For them to get Ferdi, 

1) He'd have to get a Turkish passport

2) He'd have to file a one-time-switch

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

8 minutes ago, frattinator said:

Am I a terrible person for hoping Tomori picking up a very minor niggling (say, sprained wrist that Roma wants to take a look at themselves) injury that would happen to keep him out for the next week and get him released from the England Camp?

I was all for the Tomori discussion 2.0. But he was willing to accept the call - after being cynically cap tied by England and then immediately ignored for everything else.  The fact that he still accepted the call despite being very obviously manipulated by the England structure tells me we have 0% chance.  

• 2 weeks later...

Long time lurker. I am from Turkey, live in Canada, and am connected to Fenerbahce in various ways at the board level.

Update on Ferdi Kadioglu:

- The front runner is Turkey and there is a lot of pressure being put on him since he is playing there. I have seen some links that were posted here about him not having Turkish citizenship, but he has acquired it and has had it for over a year now. Unfortunately Turkish media is just littered with poor journalism and has no integrity. 

- He obviously wants to play for the Netherlands, but cracking that line-up is difficult so it doesn't sound in play at the moment.

- Canada is being considered, but the odds are quite low this 10 seconds. Keep in mind, Canada has two things going for them. A huge influx of talent in recent years, and automatic qualification of the World Cup in 2026. 

Considering Turkey struggles to qualify for major tournaments on a consistent basis, and the Netherlands has a lot of barriers for him to break the line-up... Canada is definitely not a 0% chance.

Canada is my home, I've coached here for years and see a promising shift to the sport. I do agree with some of the comments above, I don't think anybody should be groveling for any players services, especially if they haven't chosen said nation earlier on. Unfortunately, this sort of baggage comes with talented players that hold multiple citizenship's. Personally, if I were Ferdi, I would choose Canada. You can be part of their up and coming golden generation and a darling dark horse that will certainly be a story in the 2026 World Cup. In parallel, by then he'll be in the prime of his career.

Fortunately, this isn't a team players can just walk into anymore. Canada has such a good player pool and more importantly, they have a good nucleus of players that gel. Gone are the days where we are begging for players - so If he feels Turkish - he can go play for Turkey because to where the Maple Leaf on his chest - just like everyone else, the spot needs to be earned and Canada is not a second choice. 

So good luck to Ferdi and Turkey.

• 3 weeks later...

1 minute ago, Jith12 said:

Turkey manager Stefan Kuntz says that Kadioglu will make his final decision by March.

This would imply (in my mind), that he wants to see who qualifies for the World Cup. If end of March comes around and we do t qualify, no way he commits. If, we are qualified and Turkey isn't, it will be very difficult for him not to choose us.

5 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

This would imply (in my mind), that he wants to see who qualifies for the World Cup. If end of March comes around and we do t qualify, no way he commits. If, we are qualified and Turkey isn't, it will be very difficult for him not to choose us.

Or he's still holding hope that Holland will come aknocking.

6 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Or he's still holding hope that Holland will come aknocking.

Could be, but assuming the Dutch qualify I don't see him creeping onto their roster, especially when he wasn't part of the campaign. The same isn't true for Canada and Turkey, where he can likely earn a spot despite waiting on the sidelines this whole time. 

I see this as a good sign for us, actually.

There really is no reason for him to declare for Holland in March, unless he simply doesn't want to sit on the fence anymore and/or lead Turkey/Canada on.