The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

1 hour ago, beachesl said:

Re: Sane, Man City could be hit bad for big financial fair play charges, so I think their tactic is too overvalue their players they have now for various reasons: to keep more than they need now because they may be restricted from trades (they can afford to have a very big stable for all the matches they will be playing, and to replace aging or injured players) , and for various accounting reasons. I do not think Guardiola wants to lose Sane, and the offer is out there just to keep Sane happy. And, if Bayern happen to accept the high price, then that will help Man City's "balance' for FFP. Patience.

If there is too much competition for Davies at Bayern to play and Bayern decides a loan  is the best way to develop Alphonso, that would not be bad, but if that is the situation at the end of August, he should put in a strong word that he should only go to a club that really needs a forward player, not to plop him at left back. Yes. he had the most passes in the Spurs match, but much of them were worthless and wasted back passes that were bad choices, so all the comments of him doing well at left back should be taken at face value. It's like we are takling about two different players when we talk about field roles for Davies.

Hey. Macalium, you were the youngster from Sakatchewan I met at the Honudras WCQ qualifier in Edmonton in 2002, weren't you? What are you up to now? With the lack of location info and limited profiles now, its harder to know or remember who is who now.

I am actually warming up to the idea of Davies at LB for Bayern.

At first I was completely against it, not wanting his offensive potential to be stunted, but they are doing a good job at giving him looks at both positions, so that is quelling my fear. Him learning the position will only make him more versatile and ultimately, more valuable.

Additionally, the more he can see the field with Bayern, the better. Playing multiple positions obviously helps his cause.

However, for Canada I still want him playing winger/forward, except for particular games and situations that warrant it.

Edited by Obinna

9 hours ago, beachesl said:

Hey. Macalium, you were the youngster from Sakatchewan I met at the Honudras WCQ qualifier in Edmonton in 2002, weren't you? What are you up to now? With the lack of location info and limited profiles now, its harder to know or remember who is who now.

Not me Beachesl, as I’ve never even been to Saskatchewan. I’d be happy to meet up for a drink though if you’re ever at a Forge game, or coming to a Nations League match at BMO!

Tooned in after the 70th. Slotted into his role really well. Only mistake I could pick out was a give away that lead to a semi-breakaway. Thats it

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

It must be frustrating for him to get subbed on in a more natural position and then moved to left back three minutes later, but I guess it's another chance for him to prove his versatility. He did well.

Genuine question... what about his game makes you think wing is his natural position? And pace isn't an answer because I can think of at least 3 positions on the pitch which I would consider straight line speed as a main attribute. Full back and wing being 2 of them so it's a wash there 

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Genuine question... what about his game makes you think wing is his natural position?

In my opinion, an eye for goal and his offensive instincts/awareness are much further developed than his defensive ones at this point.  I have seen him get caught ball watching when at LB at times.   Not that that can't change but that is what seems natural to me, right now. 

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Genuine question... what about his game makes you think wing is his natural position? And pace isn't an answer because I can think of at least 3 positions on the pitch which I would consider straight line speed as a main attribute. Full back and wing being 2 of them so it's a wash there 

I've seen plenty of evidence of him being an excellent attacking footballer. There is little on film showing him being a good defender.

I think his strengths and weaknesses are similar in both positions. The difference for me is simply a difference in perception and expectations for different roles. In attack, I don't think he puts himself in dangerous positions nearly often enough, nor does he make particularly intelligent or well timed runs. Not like a Jonathan David type player who can buy himself space in tight quarters. Instead he succeeds through power strength and dribbling ability. Similarly, on defense he can get caught out of position, and he occasionally fails to track a run. But his speed, strength, and ability to win one on one battles make him an effective wide defender. I'm actually thrilled that he's getting tested at both positions, because he has plenty of room to improve on both sides of the ball. 

I feel like he either lacks confidence at this level, or he is being coached to play safe. He doesn’t seem to use his pace or dribbling ability to move forward. Always looks for the safe play/short passes. I’m not necessarily saying this is a bad thing, but will be interested to see how he develops into the Bundesliga. 

12 hours ago, Reign said:

I feel like he either lacks confidence at this level, or he is being coached to play safe. He doesn’t seem to use his pace or dribbling ability to move forward. Always looks for the safe play/short passes. I’m not necessarily saying this is a bad thing, but will be interested to see how he develops into the Bundesliga. 

From what I saw during the Tottenham and BVB games, he's beaten a few people but he's not going 40-50 yard runs. Typically he creates space from himself and then looks for an option. I'm fine with that. He's also playing in a possession-based team so space will be limited. 

Lothar Matthaus on Davies playing left back for Canada: That is a waste. He is so fast. Canada needs him as left winger,” Matthäus said.

Does say it's good training for him to play defense, but envisions him as a left wing.

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/in-depth/lothar-matthaus-alphonso-davies-is-the-future-for-bayern-munich/

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Heard a rumour of Bale to Bayern today, which would cut into his wing time and place, no doubt. Hope it does not happen.

That has been floating around for well over a week now. I would be shocked if it happened.

22 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Lothar Matthaus on Davies playing left back for Canada: That is a waste. He is so fast. Canada needs him as left winger,” Matthäus said.

Does say it's good training for him to play defense, but envisions him as a left wing.

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/in-depth/lothar-matthaus-alphonso-davies-is-the-future-for-bayern-munich/

In my lifetime*, I don't think there has ever been a worse example of a great player proving to be so utterly clueless about football as Lothar Mathaus. The man is a clown. His record in management was so bad that nobody in the world would be so desperate to hire him at this point, even if he has a big name. I haven't read the linked article because I don't care what he has to say, even if I agree with him once in a while.

*Pele would be a more obvious example, but he played before my time.

Edited by SthMelbRed