The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

So, this was because Sanchez basically replaced him at LB and he moved into a forward midied position on the left with freedom to move in. You could see the change in spirit when that happened.

Edited by beachesl

Great game for Davies. His assist and goal were a product of him playing with instinct. That is when he is at his best.

Coman may be out for the Super Cup in a few days against Dortmund. Could be a big opportunity for Alphonso. He has really grown this pre-season.

22 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Bayern signing Leon Bailey a left winger for 40 mill. So the Phonz needs to work on his defense if he wants to play it seems.  

Yeah, looks like the deal is done. That happened swiftly. I didn't even hear a whisper about it and now he seems Bayern bound.

I am guessing Sane is not coming this window and Bailey is plan B (or perhaps C).

I don't think this changes much for Davies. He was always going to play left back this season, with chances further forward sprinkled in. Perhaps his goal gives Kovac something to think about. 

Bailey is very talented but didn't have a great Gold Cup and last season was a down year in the Bundesliga (by his standards, anyways). 

Davies has the advantage of going through a full pre season with Bayern. I think it will be more about Leon Bailey coming in and showing where he fits, more than Davies automatically falling down the pecking order.

Moreover, I fancy him in a battle against Bailey moreso than Sane. Either way though, yes, it is another player who theoretically should be ahead of Davies at winger.

Edited by Obinna

Real life meant I missed the second half but highlights showed a great touch on one goal and good control/excellent finish on his.  Shame they could not finish the comeback against those fine gentlemen from North London. 

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Moreover, I fancy him in a battle against Bailey more so than Sane. 

That is definitely good news.  The tough news is, at that level, learning a new position is going to be exposed at times. I hope they give him time and minutes to do so.

15 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I get a sense based on some training videos and such that Bayern made it a priority for Phonzie to work on his weak foot ability. Perhaps they want him to be comfortable on both wings, cutting in, etc? regardless, it seems to be working!

Well they're going to need him to be versatile. I think he's going to get a lot of sub minutes this season 

Nevertheless, it’s Alphonso Davies who should receive the highest praise. The young Canadian was exemplary from the first minute until the game’s conclusion. Although starting at left-back, he was able to maintain a big presence in Bayern’s attacking play, making multiple good dribbles, constantly overlapping while still retaining some positional organisation. Once moved onto the wing, the former Vancouver Whitecaps player kept up his superb performance before scoring an exceptionally taken goal with his (weaker) right foot. In addition, he set up Arp’s goal with a marvelous first time pass. If Davies can keep up performances like this, he will be seriously challenging Coman for a starting place (and that’s very high praise indeed).

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2019/8/1/20749108/bayern-munich-tottenham-hotspur-niko-kovac-match-observations-analysis-alphonso-davies-lewandowski

Müller, who lined up on the Bayern right in the second half at the Allianz Arena, says he would welcome the Canadian's inclusion in the side once more in Dortmund.

Alphonso Davies," the Bayern man replied when quizzed on his side's Supercup alternatives on the flanks to Gnabry and Coman. "The way he hit that ball with his right foot wasn't half bad."

As well as sweeping in a quite brilliant solo goal with his weaker right foot, Davies also had the most touches of any Bayern player (97), came out on top in 77 per cent of his attempted one-on-ones and hit the mark with almost 80 per cent of his attempted passes in a performance that didn't go unnoticed by Kovac.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/alphonso-davies-praise-for-bayern-munich-canada-teenager-thomas-muller-kovac-5949

Still not seeing anything official about Leon Bailey. This may still be in rumor territory.

Gnabry will miss the Super Cup match versus Dortmund and aside from Muller and Davies, New Zealander Singh is emerging as another alternative to play on the opposite flank to Coman.

I have been impressed with him. They picked him up after he starred in the U-20 WC in Poland and the plan was for him to play for the second team, but he has done so well in pre season he'll likely jump straight up.

Kovac has been complimentary of him in the same fashion he was with Davies, saying he was "ahead of all the others" in the second team.

So a surprise contender Davies may find himself battling with this season, though Singh is more of an inside player who can play outside, whereas Davies is a true flank player who can/is being often deployed at wing back.

Apparently Niko Kovac said that the rumours aren't true about Leon Bailey.

It would be interesting to see the Canadian and Jamaican wonder kids battling against each other on the same team though.  

34 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

The paper talk here is that Man City have put £143m price tag on Sane and Bayern are offering £73m.  Anything we can do to keep them that far apart?

The transfer market is so messed up. Sane isn’t worth close to 143 million but the price tags just keep going up and up. Even Bayern have probably overvalued what he should be worth. Apparently Harry Maguire has gone to united today for £85m which is great bit of business by Leicester but there’s no chance he’s worth that much even in my opinion as a Leicester fan.

17 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

The transfer market is so messed up. Sane isn’t worth close to 143 million but the price tags just keep going up and up. Even Bayern have probably overvalued what he should be worth. Apparently Harry Maguire has gone to united today for £85m which is great bit of business by Leicester but there’s no chance he’s worth that much even in my opinion as a Leicester fan.

It's the English player premium

Re: Sane, Man City could be hit bad for big financial fair play charges, so I think their tactic is too overvalue their players they have now for various reasons: to keep more than they need now because they may be restricted from trades (they can afford to have a very big stable for all the matches they will be playing, and to replace aging or injured players) , and for various accounting reasons. I do not think Guardiola wants to lose Sane, and the offer is out there just to keep Sane happy. And, if Bayern happen to accept the high price, then that will help Man City's "balance' for FFP. Patience.

If there is too much competition for Davies at Bayern to play and Bayern decides a loan  is the best way to develop Alphonso, that would not be bad, but if that is the situation at the end of August, he should put in a strong word that he should only go to a club that really needs a forward player, not to plop him at left back. Yes. he had the most passes in the Spurs match, but much of them were worthless and wasted back passes that were bad choices, so all the comments of him doing well at left back should be taken at face value. It's like we are takling about two different players when we talk about field roles for Davies.

Hey. Macalium, you were the youngster from Sakatchewan I met at the Honudras WCQ qualifier in Edmonton in 2002, weren't you? What are you up to now? With the lack of location info and limited profiles now, its harder to know or remember who is who now.

Edited by beachesl