The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Glad I watched it.   The criticism seems a bit harsh as other have said. 

He tracked back fairly well defensively (Drew a foul to break up a dangerous play after sprinting back to defend).

Made a few good runs into the box - Coman completely missed him on one. 

A few poor first touches when he first came on. He gave it away a couple of times, but so did a number of others  

The one thing the critic got right was that he and the LB weren’t effective in the interplay and overlapping runs - and it did look like Davies was the one without a clear idea of what to do.   Whether he is in the forward or back position of that combo, he will need to figure that out.

2 hours ago, Jith12 said:

German news outlet Bild are reporting that Lucas Hernandez picked up an ankle injury this week and will not play against Koln tomorrow. Davies will start in his place. This would be Davies' first competitive start for Bayern.

As @JuicyHam mentioned, the article has been updated and it now states that Hernandez has been declared fit. Davies probably won't be starting now, but still possible that we see him come in off the bench.

10 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Shows he's pretty close to the staring XI though! My guess is he could be second choice right after Coman as well.

I think Davies and Perisic are both second choice to Coman right now, rather than Perisic being second choice and Davies being third (or vice versa).

Davies and Perisic are both backing up, but each give Kovac a different look.

16 hours ago, Obinna said:

Davies and Perisic are both backing up, but each give Kovac a different look.

He came on when Perisic sat last weekend, when Gnabry started.  In the week, Gnabry came on, he sat, when Perisic started.  I will take that for now. 

Not today though - all three subs made in the blowout.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

2 hours ago, Lansdude said:

Weird list really if Davies makes it and David doesn't.

Why, would you automatically place Roman Yaremchuk ahead of Leon Goretzka in a list like this? These two players are having similar success at their clubs as David and Davies are having. Getting playing time for a club like Bayern Munich is a huge success even without scoring at the rate David has.

25 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Why, would you automatically place Roman Yaremchuk ahead of Leon Goretzka in a list like this? These two players are having similar success at their clubs as David and Davies are having. Getting playing time for a club like Bayern Munich is a huge success even without scoring at the rate David has.

I don't get the analogy.

Davies seems to be on the list purely by club prominence. He's barely played.

David is the most promising attacking prospect in the Belgian league. Actually, not even a prospect. He's a consistent producer.

5 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

By people's logic David should be a head of half the players on this list. I'm really not digging the Davies vs David energy

Same with the Cav vs Larin vibe.  I'm happiest when we have lots of options and guys playing well at their clubs.  Its something new and we'll just have to get used to it.