The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Question: Has Davies had a better Gold Cup in 2019?

My first thought is no. He hasn't even scored. 

But then, I think about how dominant he's been. He's served up at least 2 quality assists, one to Davies and the other to Cavallini, plus there are perhaps others which I can't recall - there have been a lot of Canada goals this Gold Cup.

If Canada makes it to the semifinals, depending on how it goes and how he plays, he may be a candidate for the Gold Cup best 11...what do you guys think?

David and Cavallini are also on pace for the GC best 11 inclusions in my opinion, probably even before Davies.

I think there's a real chance all 3 will find themselves awarded this recognition.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Question: Has Davies had a better Gold Cup in 2019?

My first thought is no. He hasn't even scored. 

But then, I think about how dominant he's been. He's served up at least 2 quality assists, one to Davies and the other to Cavallini, plus there are perhaps others which I can't recall - there have been a lot of Canada goals this Gold Cup.

If Canada makes it to the semifinals, depending on how it goes and how he plays, he may be a candidate for the Gold Cup best 11...what do you guys think?

David and Cavallini are also on pace for the GC best 11 inclusions in my opinion, probably even before Davies.

I think there's a real chance all 3 will find themselves awarded this recognition.

For my money, I think he has been better this Gold Cup. His passing from the flanks, after skinning the opposition time and time again, has been very accurate. He has set up several goals already, and has been directly involved in several more. The game against Mexico wasn't great, but then again he had a couple of very nice moments where he created something out of nothing.  Thing is, I suspect he still has more to show this tournament, starting with Haiti.

If David and Cava continue their run, then we could very well see all three in the top 11, yes.  Get through the QFs, then a solid showing or win in the semis, and I suspect all those guys will be strong contenders.  First things first: We have to beat Haiti.

Feel bad for him. After dominating this tournament as a 17 year old must have expected the same 2 years later and as the top club attached player in the entire tournament. He so clearly isn't a lb. He might have to be in order to see the field at Bayeen. Maybe someday he will be good at it, but he crushes teams at this level higher up the field. Herdman probably had his best 11 on the field, but it is irrelevant when they are playing out of position. Hasn't he very played FIFA when. You out someone out of position and their rating drops by 10 points...

He has to get past the step over bullshit that he was trying to pull every time he went forward.  It is a great u14 skill to show off.  At this point, using it endlessly just looks like showboating - and when you get stripped of the ball it looks worse than useless. 

I very much hope the move to Bayern isn’t going to his head where he thinks he has to do everything and look pretty while doing it. The one danger of us (Canada, media, etc) placing guys like him and David on a pedestal is if they start believing their own hype.

Probably overreacting as a byproduct of my shit mood - but it isn’t helped by the fact that he lost his defensive marker in the losing goal. 

Davies isn't a LB! He's a winger. Yes he lost his man on that 3rd goal, but he is a teenager playing out of position in an eliminaion game of a continental championship. That's on Herdman.

Davies had a good tournament IMO. Against Haiti he made a fantastic heads-up play to assist the first goal, and nearly scored an all-time great Canada goal on that free kick that struck the woodwork. Funny how all of his highlights are going forward.... hmmm, maybe he shouldn't be in the back 4!

5 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Davies isn't a LB! He's a winger. Yes he lost his man on that 3rd goal, but he is a teenager playing out of position

Oh yeah.  For his part, it was THAT BAD.*  Rec league sort of shit.

That being said, if you're inclined to make lemonade from lemons, I will guarentee he never, ever, lets that happen again.  If he plays footie until he's 100.  No sir. 

* Was a really good movement and execution by Haiti.  A 100% all around on their part. 

If Bayern are going to groom him as LB they will find out pretty quick IMO, 1-2 more yrs if it makes sense.

Bayern has helped Alaba become arguably one of the best current LB's in the world.  Massive plus, that he's able to learn in that same environment.

Great that he can understudy behind Alaba also, he will get some minutes next year but with Alaba being only 27, going to be a while... 

Regardless, we can definitely count on Davies to keep working hard, my expectations are top World Class player, still going to take a few more years and beyond happy with his current environment.

All the best to him this upcoming season.

It was reported earlier that Davies would not participate in the Champions Cup pre-season tournament, but has reversed his decision and will now meet up with the rest of the first team in LA this Tuesday.

Bayern will play Arsenal, Real Madrid and AC Milan, so some good friendly games for him to look forward to.

Edited by Obinna

On 7/12/2019 at 3:50 PM, BearcatSA said:

I'm curious about these upcoming Bayern friendlies because I wonder if they are going all in on converting him to LB with the potential arrivals of Sane and Pepe.

I think he'll play a lot of LB until Lucas Hernandez returns from his knee injury. Then, we'll see him get more chances up front, perhaps.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

It was reported earlier that Davies would not participate in the Champions Cup pre-season tournament, but has reversed his decision and will now meet up with the rest of the first team in LA this Tuesday.

Bayern will play Arsenal, Real Madrid and AC Milan, so some good friendly games for him to look forward to.

I didn't realize it was his choice. Is this normal for players in this tournament?

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

I think he'll play a lot of LB until Lucas Hernandez returns from his knee injury. Then, we'll see him get more chances up front, perhaps.

Somehow I completely forgot about Hernandez at Bayern. Definitely would be crowded at LB when he's back, both Hernandez and Alaba are studs. 

I think and hope your assessment is fairly accurate.

7 hours ago, johnyb said:

I didn't realize it was his choice. Is this normal for players in this tournament?

I assume it would only be Davies’ choice because he was at the Gold Cup and would likely be given a few weeks extra break. He has probably chosen to return early to get a full preseason, and maybe utilize the fact he is likely in better game shape than the teammates who haven’t had any competitive action since the end of Germany’s domestic season. Hopefully he comes out firing and impresses, and gets more first team playing time as a result. 

I thought he was really good. The annoying commentator kept giving credit for his plays to Alaba...even when Alaba got taken off the field and he took over the LB position. 🤦‍♂️ He eventually realized who it was and started calling him "Davis" throughout the rest of the match.

Edited by Macksam