The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

5 hours ago, Macksam said:

My honest assessment, minus a few hiccups (the mis touch off his chest, getting his wires crossed with Coman and Sanches a few times,etc.), he was solid at RB. When he switched to left wing, he had a hard time getting into the game but that was more Milan taking control of it after the subs. Like others have said, he needs to utilize his pace more when given the chance but smartly and bumping both Alaba and Hernandez is a tough task. I think he’ll be more of a sub for Coman and Gnabry. 

I saw the same.  Wasn't quite as effective or comfortable at LW as he was at LB.

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Listed on UEFAs website as one of 50 young players to watch this year. Surprised not to see David show up on this list. 

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2616860.html

Incredibly surprised not to see David after looking at that list. Pretty in depth list. I guess it'll just make his potential rise that much further. 

31 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Is anyone watching him play now? Is he at lb or wing?

LB. Didn't have much of an opportunity to do anything as the game was already well over by the time he came it (it was 5-0 at halftime).

Ten minutes in...

He's made a crucial defensive intervention, using his incredible pace to chase inside and prevent Lamela getting an open shot from 6 yards, bailing out the CB.

He then was unlucky when his tackle on the Spurs right winger bounced back into the path of his opponent, who got a dangerous cross in. Neuer saved his embarrassment with an incredible save off Moura, though.

3 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Ten minutes in...

He's made a crucial defensive intervention, using his incredible pace to chase inside and prevent Lamela getting an open shot from 6 yards, bailing out the CB.

He then was unlucky when his tackle on the Spurs right winger bounced back into the path of his opponent, who got a dangerous cross in. Neuer saved his embarrassment with an incredible save off Moura, though.

That was super unlucky. The tackle looked well timed and then the ball just bounced right in front of the Tottenham player. 

Just now, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

He seems a very decent one on one defender but instincts are not there...(yet?).  He has been caught ball watching a few times.  

I agree with that. He was kind of caught ball watching, and not recognizing the run behind him on Haiti's third goal in the Gold Cup as well. 

He looked mostly good in the first half. Was good one on one defending and moving forward. The ball often went to him when played out the back and he mostly made smart decisions with it(maybe defaulted too often to the CB but that's just nitpicky). Like some have said he did get lost a couple times ball watching and maybe he doesn't quite have those defending instincts but we tend to forget he is still a teenager and defenders learn these instincts with experience and he really doesn't have that experience yet.

All this is just my opinion and I'm not the smartest person when it comes to football so take from it what you will. 

He looks lost, confused.without very much confidence to confront, LB is not the position for him. He needs to be further up the field more involved in the attack( I mean, I think he is wasted at LB). On the other hand, he needs to grab opportunities like this.

Edited by beachesl