The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

1 minute ago, Yoginess said:

Got his first minutes of league play this year. Bayern didn't use any subs until VERY late but he was brought into a semi-attacking role (not LB) 

Or at least that's how it appears, I just missed catching him actually play.

Promising he's getting minutes this early into the season though!

He was on as a winger on the right. 

As much as I want him to get full 90 mins, I still think his game has improved immensely at Bayern, I'm okay with him staying there longer for a bit and training with the 1st team and making the 18 every week.  Also if he stays at Bayern, I think he will be used more as a winger.

From a Davies at LB perspective at Bayern , he is definitely #3 on the LB depth chart now. 

Alaba is arguably one of the best in the world and Lucas Hernandez started at LB for France during the World Cup, Alaba started friday and Hernandez was on the 18 man roster.

People still forget his age. He is in arguable one of the best possible places to learn and train with some of the best in the world. 

The fact he is being held back a little will also likely add years on his career considering how young he started. 

There is going to be a point he needs to be playing regularly but right now I'm happy where he is.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

People still forget his age. He is in arguable one of the best possible places to learn and train with some of the best in the world. 

The fact he is being held back a little will also likely add years on his career considering how young he started. 

There is going to be a point he needs to be playing regularly but right now I'm happy where he is.

Absolutely. He is so young and already has so much experience for his age that he now can be brought on more slowly for the next few years.

At this current trajectory, expect him to have played close to 50 games with Bayern by the time he turns 20 years old. That would be magnificant for any young player, let alone a Canadian.

Edited by Obinna

I'm not sure if being on a possession based team like Bayern Munich is the best fit for him right now. If he was a seasoned superstar that was fully developed with a huge breadth of depth, absolutely. However, the current raw version of himself? The boy needs to be holding onto the ball and constantly running at the opposition. I seriously think a loan to a Prem side (even a top one) would benefit him immensely. 

54 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I'm not sure if being on a possession based team like Bayern Munich is the best fit for him right now. If he was a seasoned superstar that was fully developed with a huge breadth of depth, absolutely. However, the current raw version of himself? The boy needs to be holding onto the ball and constantly running at the opposition. I seriously think a loan to a Prem side (even a top one) would benefit him immensely. 

Alternatively, it might be the best thing for him so that he isn't stunted into becoming a racehorse whose whole game revolves around pushing a ball into space and then blowing by the defender. 

He will always be fast, and that will always be a tool he can use.  Even possession based teams eventually release players making effective runs.  But honing his quick passing game will likely do a lot more for his game than simply getting better at what he is already good at. 

18 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Alternatively, it might be the best thing for him so that he isn't stunted into becoming a racehorse whose whole game revolves around pushing a ball into space and then blowing by the defender. 

He will always be fast, and that will always be a tool he can use.  Even possession based teams eventually release players making effective runs.  But honing his quick passing game will likely do a lot more for his game than simply getting better at what he is already good at. 

He can learn all those things at a high pressing, attack minded club. Not saying the Bayern situation is bad mind you. 

37 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Courtinho's first Bayern training session from yesterday was uploaded on Youtube.

Davies was notably absent.

I'm pretty sure I read that he, along with a few other first-team squad members, were scheduled to play for BMII on Monday night, which would have ruled them out of full training on Tuesday.

Up against Borjan in Champions League

Bayern Munich, Tottenham Hotspur, Olympiacos, Red Star Belgrade.

( Also - If you did not see Cantona's speech at the draw/awards ceremony where these groups were chosen, treat yourself to some to some very confused football people on youtube or such)

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Imagine if he played and scored

If they played on the last matchday and Bayern locked first I could see him starting

Edited by Guest