The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

2 hours ago, BFBF said:

It was a nice surprise when I heard a Phonzie interview on the BBC soccer podcast I listen to at work.

I heard the same thing on the BBC 5 Live Football Daily.  I agreed with the pundits (Rafa Honigstein and Julien Laurens) that a loan move to a smaller Bundesliga side after Christmas might be a good one for Phonz.

28 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I heard the same thing on the BBC 5 Live Football Daily.  I agreed with the pundits (Rafa Honigstein and Julien Laurens) that a loan move to a smaller Bundesliga side after Christmas might be a good one for Phonz.

Hard to disagree with that. Training with elite players is good for him, but I don’t think it would compare with the benefits of battling against Bundesliga-quality teams week in and week out. 

I also support a loan move to another Bundesliga club. From what I've seen of him at Bayern, he plays very safe. Obviously this is good, because mistakes at such a huge club are magnified, but I think he could use a little confidence boost. A loan to a mid-table club could allow him to be a bit more brave and run at defenders more, etc, and then hopefully he would be less tentative and more confident when he returns to Bayern.

I'd love to see him use his "absurd pace" at Bayern more often! :lol:

7 hours ago, JamboAl said:

That's the one. Ya, good to hear some unbiased Davies talk for once. I think Davies certainly should be given a bit more time than he has seen. There have been so many times where they have a significant lead and Kovac just puts on Mueller or something. Kovac really doesn't trust youth.

If Davies can't earn some good time by November I think a loan would be good for him.

1 minute ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I chuckled when Honigstein mentioned what a big step up it is "from Toronto to Bayern".  Vancouver fans can add him to the wall of hate next to Duane Trollins

Typical Germans, always thinking Toronto is the centre of the universe.

Positionally had a few things to work on but was fantastic going forward & with one on one skills as he deked a number of Bundesliga players out of their jock-straps. We've seen him do that to MLS players and Cubans but this is at a higher level (even if it is the bottom placed team in the table). Perhaps most impressively is that he always kept his team in possession when they were holding on to a lead - some of his more experienced teammates didn't always do the same

54 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Positionally had a few things to work on but was fantastic going forward & with one on one skills as he deked a number of Bundesliga players out of their jock-straps. We've seen him do that to MLS players and Cubans but this is at a higher level (even if it is the bottom placed team in the table). Perhaps most impressively is that he always kept his team in possession when they were holding on to a lead - some of his more experienced teammates didn't always do the same

Thanks, that is good to know. 

Not sure I will get to see it (hosting my iid’s bday party) but the game is on replay on one of the  Sportsnets a bit later. 

31 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

6 dribbles, 5 tackles, 72 touches, and 97 percent passing. Statistically that’s quite a half. I’m surprised to see comments like this, but I’ll have to catch the replay for myself

I think Mikmado is referencing that he was partly to blame on the first goal Bayern gave up as there was a bit of a mis communication between him and Coman it seems. He also let a couple of crosses through on his side of the field. But there was far more that was positive and to say suggest he was poor is very misleading IMO. I think whatever website that was that ranked him 7.8 (out of 10) got it pretty much right.

2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

He let a few too many crosses in. The other team was attacking from his side. It wasnt an awful performance but he could have done better. 

2 rating sites have him above 7. fotmob at 7.4 + whoscored as noted above. So, "not an awful performance" is an understatement.

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Based on his current usage, I doubt he goes on loan in January. He's basically the first (or possibly second with everyone healthy) choice backup to the left side of Bayern's formation. 

Yeah, it is an interesting position to be in.  He doesn’t start, but is close enough to the starting 11 that Kovac trusts him as a sub.  That is pretty hugs at a club like Bayern - and it is hard to be disappointed about that kind of a role at his age.  I do wonder if his transfer fee creates pressure to find a way to play him rather than loan him but I suspect Bayern are far too pragmatic to be swayed by something like that.   

Thought he did well, as mentioned he was partly at fault for the 1st goal but I'd say part of it was on Boateng as well. He probably would have gotten to the wide player before Coman but Coman committed and Davies kind of got pulled out of position. Tough to tell who's actually at fault, seems like a bit of a miscommunication.