The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

On 12/9/2021 at 4:06 AM, CanadaFan123 said:

That's ridiculous and embarrassing that Guerrero was a finalist. 

This clown doesn't play for Canada and he was nominated for the Canadian Athlete of the Year?  Has Kevin Pipe found a new calling, nominating people for awards?  

I'm also glad he didn't win, because I'd hate to read that he'd won the award and I have no idea who he is.  

Edited by vancanman

36 minutes ago, vancanman said:

This clown doesn't play for Canada and he was nominated for the Canadian Athlete of the Year?  Has Kevin Pipe found a new calling, nominating people for awards?  

I'm also glad he didn't win, because I'd hate to read that he'd won the award and I have no idea who he is.  

There's nothing particularly good or bad about knowing who athletes are, but Guerrero Jr is more famous within his sport than Davies is in soccer. You can debate whether he should qualify for a Canadian award, but not whether he is well known or had a terrific season.

33 minutes ago, red card said:

Davies ends another player's career at Barca.

First, it has nothing to do with Davies or the other day. I already spoke of this a few months ago. Dest is not as good as some would like, but not even amongst the half dozen worst players or those best to get rid of.

Then, you cannot trust a single thing about transfers and sales at Barça, the press has been unbearable lately, and a bit embarrassing as well. Every day you see a litany of rumours, fed by vampiric agents. And they list only foreigners who are not up to standard, when the real problem are the untouchables, especially Sergi Roberto, Pique, even Alba. Others who have been around a long time and are not on an upward curve, like Ter Stegen, who no one talks about, and was very poor the other day, lacks leadership. 

If the team can get Umtiti off the roster, and Coutinho, they'd have some money freed up for some more fundamental choices. 

I personally do not think Xavi is good enough, or experienced enough, to do the right thing. Just look at Bayern's third goal, Araujo who is a fine defender got beat in a miniature version of the move Davies used on Semedo. How can you not coach that? I mean, even Semedo was not told to give him his right side option and take away the left. And now, years later, Araujo is not clear about this. That is poor coaching, poor scouting the other team. Cheat to Davies' left side and force him right, is that so hard? This is a team laughing at rivals for years for not doing this to Messi--force him right.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

44 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Dest is a good player. He’s not Davies, and I get the ribbing towards USMNT supporters, but some people are acting like he’s a scrub. He just turned 21 too.

His match vs. Mexico was better than Davies' arguably. 

But I have nothing invested in any player as a Barça fan, or really as a Canada fan. If we can do it without this or that, fine, the important thing is to do it. 

If we make Qatar we'll see how sentiment is going to get pushed aside and some of the guys with us now, doing a fine job, are not going to be there. And it'll be sad for them, for sure. 

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

His match vs. Mexico was better than Davies' arguably. 

But I have nothing invested in any player as a Barça fan, or really as a Canada fan. If we can do it without this or that, fine, the important thing is to do it. 

If we make Qatar we'll see how sentiment is going to get pushed aside and some of the guys with us now, doing a fine job, are not going to be there. And it'll be sad for them, for sure. 

Alphonso Davies will make anyone look bad 1 v 1.  In fact, the best job I've ever seen from a RB on Davies was the stalemate Dest produced in his first USA vs. Canada matchup against him.  Dest is good going forward, decent at the back, and has great quality and good speed.  He's still inconsistent and he's a bit small, but lots of quality fullbacks are.  I personally think playing him on the wing was kind of dumb, but then who am I to question Xavi.  😉  But I agree, there are far bigger problems in the Barca roster than Dest...

7 hours ago, jonovision said:

There's nothing particularly good or bad about knowing who athletes are, but Guerrero Jr is more famous within his sport than Davies is in soccer. You can debate whether he should qualify for a Canadian award, but not whether he is well known or had a terrific season.

I try to keep up with Canadian athletes, even if it's a sport I don't follow closely, like cycling or athletics.  (I look for results, but I don't watch the sport very often.)  Judging from reactions here, it's just me, but I find it much easier to be happy for someone I've heard of.

True, I can't debate whether or not Guerrero's had a terrific season, since stats don't lie, I to look him up to find out who he is and I don't know anything about baseball so I wouldn't have a leg to stand on.  Therefore, I never said anything about the season he had.   

Is he more well-known than Davies, or more well-known within his sport?  It's a lot easier to be well-known within baseball than within footie.

(Please note:  I'm just trying to clarify my position, and to understand yours.  I hope I'm not coming across as argumentative.)

1 hour ago, vancanman said:

I try to keep up with Canadian athletes, even if it's a sport I don't follow closely, like cycling or athletics.  (I look for results, but I don't watch the sport very often.)  Judging from reactions here, it's just me, but I find it much easier to be happy for someone I've heard of.

True, I can't debate whether or not Guerrero's had a terrific season, since stats don't lie, I to look him up to find out who he is and I don't know anything about baseball so I wouldn't have a leg to stand on.  Therefore, I never said anything about the season he had.   

Is he more well-known than Davies, or more well-known within his sport?  It's a lot easier to be well-known within baseball than within footie.

(Please note:  I'm just trying to clarify my position, and to understand yours.  I hope I'm not coming across as argumentative.)

Not at all.

If "well-known" is measured by how many people in the world know your name, then I'm sure Davies wins in a landslide. But Guerrero Jr was probably the 2nd or 3rd best baseball player in the world this season. He would have won the American League MVP award if it were the unicorn event of a top hitter (though well behind Vladdy) also being one of the league's top pitchers. Award voters obviously operate within the context of North American sport where Guerrero Jr is definitely more famous. If most voters actually considered him Canadian I'm sure he would have won in a landslide. I'm not sure what the award is meant to recognize, but there were many worthy potential winners this year.

6 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The adolescent chirping by Canadians on twitter toward the Americans is cringeworthy honestly. It's great that we have two top players but they have an embarrassment of riches. Unless we win our next two games I'm not even going to touch the notion that we're the top team in CONCACAF.

Isn't adolescent chirping what twitter is? It's kinda like going to a water park and getting mad because someone splashes you

6 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The adolescent chirping by Canadians on twitter toward the Americans is cringeworthy honestly. It's great that we have two top players but they have an embarrassment of riches. Unless we win our next two games I'm not even going to touch the notion that we're the top team in CONCACAF.

I agree.  However I did spit out my tea at this.

10 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Exactly can't afford to get cocky