The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

30 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

the poor quality of the pitch has more of an impact on players like Davies. He struggled away to Haiti as well on a sticky turf field. He normally is effective as a central forward but not on a poor pitch. I agree that v Mexico he needs to play as a wide forward/wingback.

I also saw similarities with the away Haiti match.  However, he needs to adapt to the situation much better, keep the possession rolling (in spite of the field conditions), and pick his spots more.  Some of his decision making was poor last night.  

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

That really only counts though if he involves those free teammates and finds them with a pass.  If he just tries to fight through the coverage and turns the ball over that extra space really doesn’t benefit us.  

Not trying to be harsh, but this is really something that has to change.  He is an amazing talent but he isn’t the only guy who can make things happen.  What I saw last night was precisely what I was worried about - especially with him coming home.  I hope Herdman has the personal management skills to address this with Phonzie because he can’t do that and expect to get results consistently.  

He was forcing it too much on his own, for sure, but hopefully the other guys can make it happen when he becomes more conservative with his play.  

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

The good news is Phonzie rarely has two poor performances in a row. I’m expecting him to be really good against Mexico.

I personally think he thought he would approach this game just like he did against Panama, where he constantly took on 2 or 3 defenders and it always came off.  The trouble is that in this game (perhaps because of the sticky rubber pitch or the central position he was playing or just having a bad day) the only thing coming off was the wheels on our attack as he dribbled into multiple phone booths and eventually lost the ball.  I do agree that he needs to play further outside though, where he has more space to take on people and clear options for passing (as opposed to the midfield where he basically doesn't know what he's doing - i.e. distribute not dribble, Phonzie!).  He also needs to take off the red mist homecoming glasses and calm himself down.  Then we should be all good.

1 hour ago, lowlander said:

Fantastic goal.

the weather is playing havoc with the game. Goretzka almost scored an own-goal with Neuer completely whiffing on the back pass.

Thought the pitch looked unreal for the climate. Turns out it's a newly installed hybrid system:

Was used in the WCQ as well. Wonder how many places in Canada this stuff would work?