The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I’d speculate that Sane sees Davies as a threat to take his spot eventually. 

I wondered about that but the reality is that Sane is a great player and thus I think the way they are being used now will just continue.  Hard to believe that the coach wouldn’t be seeing the same thing we are though.  

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

I wondered about that but the reality is that Sane is a great player and thus I think the way they are being used now will just continue.  Hard to believe that the coach wouldn’t be seeing the same thing we are though.  

It actually does not make sense what @CanadaFan123is saying, as with most of his posts (I block him to not waste my time), which is why your observation was so good.

Sane mostly ignored Davies from the other side, playing up the right, so it was here and there--and it was hard to see it was happening. It was not constant. Today, on the same side, with plenty of attacking plays, it was clear as day: your point proven.

Sane is not threatened by Davies, he is simply a talented but inefficient player who does a lot less than others in his position, like Gnabry, who are less flashy. Very often you see him stomping his feet and pouting if he does not get a pass or misses het another. If Bayern were smart they'd sell him on, because I am sure they could get major money for him, and not really miss him in the end. 

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Stop it - you’re both pretty.  

It's fine, blocking other posters is a major step forward for board sanity. I only read him if someone quotes him. 

There are maybe others I find more irrelevant or snooty or have ideologies I don't agree with, so he's by no means the worst; but at least others can be so off the wall, or oddly fun or occasionally contribute data, or a link. Something.

"Un zero por la izquierda" they say in Spanish, a bit fat zero on the left. 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sane is not threatened by Davies, he is simply a talented but inefficient player who does a lot less than others in his position, like Gnabry, who are less flashy. Very often you see him stomping his feet and pouting if he does not get a pass or misses het another. If Bayern were smart they'd sell him on, because I am sure they could get major money for him, and not really miss him in the end. 

This, but note that this is Bayern, they paid a lot of money for Sane and have a large vested interest in seeing him do well.  Also, a bit of a German bias there too - you will see Sane gets a lot more leeway for his misses than say, Coman.  Finally, in my observation, Sane is used to being a outright winger on the flanks (whether inverted or not).  He rarely looks to his outside shoulder for a pass (because in his past there's rarely been someone there), and I've seen that time and time again with Davies overlapping on his left or Pavard on his right.  He's always looking centrally to either go for goal or make a pass.  It's not malicious - it's just what he does. 

1 hour ago, GasPed said:

This, but note that this is Bayern, they paid a lot of money for Sane and have a large vested interest in seeing him do well.  Also, a bit of a German bias there too - you will see Sane gets a lot more leeway for his misses than say, Coman.  Finally, in my observation, Sane is used to being a outright winger on the flanks (whether inverted or not).  He rarely looks to his outside shoulder for a pass (because in his past there's rarely been someone there), and I've seen that time and time again with Davies overlapping on his left or Pavard on his right.  He's always looking centrally to either go for goal or make a pass.  It's not malicious - it's just what he does. 

I think he's a bit like a Frenkie de Jong kind of player, obviously a huge football talent, the kind of player you make kids watch--but serious doubts as to whether they are ready to be elite players, and leaders on the pitch.

Davies, IMO, is more of a leader from where he plays than Sane. Davies has huge leadership skills and is just waiting, patiently, for his rank to rise on Bayern. As he stands, if he is there in 4-5 years he may be their captain. Saying this, though he's not German, because his price is too high for anyone to buy him and he has too much upside for him to be sold.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I honestly believe if you had to show a kid a player who attacks with his head up, Sane is a great example. Beautiful vertical body, head swiveling, both feet but never looking at the ball. Lovely. But ineffective. 

Transfermarkt has Davies at 80 million and Sane at 60, if i recall correctly. Davies is a better deal. The day they let Davies play attack 6 games in a row that price is going up, I mean, 80 million for an outside defender? 

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Sure, it was far from his best performance last night but even when he is off, he still warrants special attention from the opposition and with that makes more space for his teammates.  Getting a few more training sessions on this pitch will help.

That really only counts though if he involves those free teammates and finds them with a pass.  If he just tries to fight through the coverage and turns the ball over that extra space really doesn’t benefit us.  

Not trying to be harsh, but this is really something that has to change.  He is an amazing talent but he isn’t the only guy who can make things happen.  What I saw last night was precisely what I was worried about - especially with him coming home.  I hope Herdman has the personal management skills to address this with Phonzie because he can’t do that and expect to get results consistently.  

Phonzie seems like a humble kid, he knows he's got gifts and especially last night wanted to put on a show with all that extra Phonzie-centric marketing. Doesn't seem egotistical and likely has enough self awareness to reflect on his play without Herdman bringing it up. Still think Herdman won't be afraid to address it and has enough tact and people skills to get the message across positively. Making a lot of assumptions about the psychology of these guys but we've seen enough to make inferences about their attitudes/relationship.

the poor quality of the pitch has more of an impact on players like Davies. He struggled away to Haiti as well on a sticky turf field. He normally is effective as a central forward but not on a poor pitch. I agree that v Mexico he needs to play as a wide forward/wingback.