The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

4 minutes ago, lamptern said:

SN has 8 channels and they won't put Bundisliga top derby LIVE  which fitures Alfonso Davies. Ridiculous. 

Maybe they are expecting a NBA, a NHL and a WWE game will all bring them better rate. We still living in a winter of traditional TV coverage on soccer.

I don't think it's about getting better ratings on their main channels, it's about driving subscriptions to their premium channel.

Speaking of Alphonso, not sure really how much to blame him for the Dortmund goal as he was left covering two players on his side after a switch of play. But he made a nice run and ball into the box that wasn't dealt with leading to Bayern's second goal. I only saw highlight clips because the game is only on SN World, so I can't speak to the rest of his play in the first half.

12 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I don't think it's about getting better ratings on their main channels, it's about driving subscriptions to their premium channel.

Speaking of Alphonso, not sure really how much to blame him for the Dortmund goal as he was left covering two players on his side after a switch of play. But he made a nice run and ball into the box that wasn't dealt with leading to Bayern's second goal. I only saw highlight clips because the game is only on SN World, so I can't speak to the rest of his play in the first half.

Bayern games are basically the only thing of value on that channel right now 

One of the best matches of club football I have seen this season, in any league. Very well matched teams, high intensity and end to end attacking. 

Have to say, too, a hard match to ref and very well reffed, that guy is top quality (and only one out there in short sleeves!).

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Davies probably should have been put through on goal by Tolisso on a 2 v 2 situation, without a keeper who had been up on the corner. Tolisso chose a 50 yard attempt instead of the through ball. I watched the second half on a shady stream. Davies looked sharped though Dortmund were paying him close attention any time he looked to attack.

50 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Davies probably should have been put through on goal by Tolisso on a 2 v 2 situation, without a keeper who had been up on the corner. Tolisso chose a 50 yard attempt instead of the through ball. I watched the second half on a shady stream. Davies looked sharped though Dortmund were paying him close attention any time he looked to attack.

I don't think Tolisso realized that the keeper came up for the corner which is borderline unprofessional.

just watched parts of the Bayern vs Dortmund game aired on SNO.  Lets be honest, Dortmund got robbed.  There is no friggin way that that PK (which resulted in the BM winning goal) should have been awarded.  The defenders view was clearly obstructed and he couldn't even see the ball.   Ball accidentally lands on his elbow and the VAR ends up awarding a PK.  There was no movement of arm toward the ball.  What utter BS!.   These are more examples that add to the fodder that the referees help out work in the interest of the big clubs.    Dortmund coach was so furious, he ended up with a red card.  I don't blame him.  

Edited by Free kick

2 thoughts/rants on E(vil) Corp, ahem Rogers… 

1) Wouldn’t you think they would at least try to promote this game and get it on one of their main channels now that they’ve hopped on the CanMNT bandwagon?  Instead the bunch of old scrooges who bathe in money thanks to their crooked government connections think people will actually pay the exorbitant amount for SNWorld that offers no value? These idiots who decide this kind of stuff don’t even have to make smart business decisions.

2) CSA should have told Rogers to cut the crap before they allowed them to show National team games and insisted Phonzie & Bayern was shown on the main network. 

3 hours ago, Free kick said:

just watched parts of the Bayern vs Dortmund game aired on SNO.  Lets be honest, Dortmund got robbed.  There is no friggin way that that PK (which resulted in the BM winning goal) should have been awarded.  The defenders view was clearly obstructed and he couldn't even see the ball.   Ball accidentally lands on his elbow and the VAR ends up awarding a PK.  There was no movement of arm toward the ball.  What utter BS!.   These are more examples that add to the fodder that the referees help out work in the interest of the big clubs.    Dortmund coach was so furious, he ended up with a red card.  I don't blame him.  

I thought it was a PK. I know it was a PK had it been a Canadian Nat team defender. Alphonso was great. 

3 hours ago, Free kick said:

The PK wasn't clear cut but hardly surprising to see it given. Though inadvertent, the ball going off the arm took it out of the path of an attacking Bayern player.

Bayern may be lucky to have go the 3rd goal, but they were the better team on run of play.

4 hours ago, Free kick said:

5 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Lol.  I had zoomed in to read the names on my phone and was like WTF - he isn’t even on here.  It wasn’t until I zoomed out again that i saw him in the top right corner.  Wow

I had the opposite reaction. I immediately looked to the top right corner expecting to see him there, then was surprised when Cancelo and Walker were so close to him.

On 12/4/2021 at 7:09 PM, Big_M said:

played left back in a back four...awful positioning defensively led to chances for the opponent and the first goal conceded not sliding to the middle...on the second he has no business stepping to the ball carrier and leaving the side

It's not quite that simple - when Bayern is in possession, Davies plays extremely high and the back four shifts to a back three.  When Bayern loses possession, Davies is forced to run back like a maniac, and while he often recovers, he's also frequently out of position, simply because he hasn't been part of the defensive structure and needs to insert himself back into it.  Also, on the second goal, I'm pretty sure he thought Sane was going to take the FB on the give and go, so he left the FB to him.  But Sane stopped for some reason.

Fyi - here's the average positions from halftime - as you can see, Davies (19) is basically playing like a winger in possession, and the back four shift to a back three (21, 2, 5):  

IMG-2393.jpg

first goal had nothing to do with his position in possession...should have and could have been closer to the backline and wasnt...thats simply a positioning/tactical/mental mistake by him...good thing is they usually score enough to make up for their defensive mistakes (upamecano makes a bunch also) or those mistakes dont turn to goals...still first in the table but looks tighter than last year

2 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Davies' Bayern Munich is taking on Barcelona in Champions League 

Will be worth watching Dembele against Davies on that wing, should be a really fascinating match-up.

Regardless, this is one of those few times since I've been a Barça fan where I feel we have nothing to say. We can't compete. It is rather odd, I've followed the team since the late 80s (to give you an idea, my first match at Camp Nou Lineker and Mark Hughes were playing for us), but I've never seen the team so ill-prepared for a major match. It is pure prayer and hope and no ground in reality. 

Xavi has been a bit of a fraud so far, and I am not surprised.

The famous 8-2 was really an outlier, though it did reflect serious club mismanagement, which we are still affected by. But after that we've played great matches and beaten major rivals. This year, however, we are worse than ever, the state of the team is dismal. Then we have players we lost (Messi, Griezman) and injuries that really weaken us, especially in attack (Ansu Fati, Braithwaite). 

Even though Bayern has nothing to play for, and have quite a few players injured too or with Covid protocols, I suspect they'll try to smash us to make a statement. Rarely have I felt so sure they'll do it if they want to.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Will be worth watching Dembele against Davies on that wing, should be a really fascinating match-up.

Regardless, this is one of those few times since I've been a Barça fan where I feel we have nothing to say. We can't compete. It is rather odd, I've followed the team since the late 80s (to give you an idea, my first match at Camp Nou Lineker and Mark Hughes were playing for us), but I've never seen the team so ill-prepared for a major match. It is pure prayer and hope and no ground in reality. 

Xavi has been a bit of a fraud so far, and I am not surprised.

The famous 8-2 was really an outlier, though it did reflect serious club mismanagement, which we are still affected by. But after that we've played great matches and beaten major rivals. This year, however, we are worse than ever, the state of the team is dismal. Then we have players we lost (Messi, Griezman) and injuries that really weaken us, especially in attack (Ansu Fati, Braithwaite). 

Even though Bayern has nothing to play for, and have quite a few players injured too or with Covid protocols, I suspect they'll try to smash us to make a statement. Rarely have I felt so sure they'll do it if they want to.

I think most Bayern fans are confident they'll win, but not so confident they'll dominate.  The midfield is a mess with Kimmich, Goretzka and Sabitzer out, along with their best defender (Hernandez).  Having said that, the remaining starters are of course, world class, and the backup midfielders (probably Tolisso and Musiala) are talented, if unproven.  It's a decent Bayern side against a Barca in decline.  I don't like the Blaugranes' chances...