The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

He was a finalist for the Canadian athlete of the year award, which went to Damian Warner.

One interesting thing is that Vladimir Guerrero was also a finalist, despite the fact he doesn't play for Canada internationally. 

Is this a normal thing? Was Hargreaves ever a finalist for the award? Might be the soccer and FIFA nationality brain in me but I figured the award would have as a requirement that if you play on the international stage it is for Canada, and not just have Canadian citizenship.

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

He was a finalist for the Canadian athlete of the year award, which went to Damian Warner.

One interesting thing is that Vladimir Guerrero was also a finalist, despite the fact he doesn't play for Canada internationally. 

Is this a normal thing? Was Hargreaves ever a finalist for the award? Might be the soccer and FIFA nationality brain in me but I figured the award would have as a requirement that if you play on the international stage it is for Canada, and not just have Canadian citizenship.

That's ridiculous and embarrassing that Guerrero was a finalist. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He was very effective, his usual stuff. Xavi wasted Dembele by not using him to hold Alphonso back. When they scored the 3rd,on a great play of his, I switched to watch Lille. Probably Bayern is one of the top 4 candidates in Champions this year. 

Every time I watch Dest he appears incapable of defending. How is he performing in La Liga?

10 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Every time I watch Dest he appears incapable of defending. How is he performing in La Liga?

The entire Barça roster is playing wonderfully this year. 

If I were Netherlands, looking at De Jong and Depay, or the US with Dest, I'd be worried as hell going to the World Cup.

50 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The entire Barça roster is playing wonderfully this year. 

If I were Netherlands, looking at De Jong and Depay, or the US with Dest, I'd be worried as hell going to the World Cup.

My take:

1 Dutch don’t think they can win anyways - they are weak at striker for sure!  

2 how bad at scouting Is Koeman that  he decided to recruit these three?

3 how brilliant is van der sar for selling Dest when he did 

4 dest clearly didn’t figure in Holland plans for a reason  

4 minutes ago, Ruud said:

My take:

1 Dutch don’t think they can win anyways - they are weak at striker for sure!  

2 how bad at scouting Is Koeman that  he decided to recruit these three?

3 how brilliant is van der sar for selling Dest when he did 

4 dest clearly didn’t figure in Holland plans for a reason  

I don't blame Koeman, who at least had us within a few matches of winning the league last season. We are in serious debt, the veterans were all making massive amounts, and financial fair play rules said we could not spend. 

I don't think Dest is a bad player, to be honest. He is a decent back, and today played mid on Davies' side. I am sure he'll help the US. He is not below what Netherlands has now at RB.

I was critical of Depay when signed, because I'd seen a bit of Ligue 1 thanks to David, and did not think he was Barça standard. It is all about spending little and getting little.

And I was referring to Frenkie, but I figure you were thinking about Luuk de Jong. Frenkie is an amazing player but ineffective. He never seems to look bothered losing. Luuk is a joke.

What bothers me about the Dutch players, same as with Catalans, is they are very middle class, they come from nice families and grew up comfortable. They are good guys, but soft. They lack guts, balls and spleen. No rage, no fury. So if you want them to work you have to add some real nuts in the mix to help out. Rather than losing to Bayern for the umpteenth embarrassment, rebel a bit. Anyone?

33 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't blame Koeman, who at least had us within a few matches of winning the league last season. We are in serious debt, the veterans were all making massive amounts, and financial fair play rules said we could not spend. 

I don't think Dest is a bad player, to be honest. He is a decent back, and today played mid on Davies' side. I am sure he'll help the US. He is not below what Netherlands has now at RB.

I was critical of Depay when signed, because I'd seen a bit of Ligue 1 thanks to David, and did not think he was Barça standard. It is all about spending little and getting little.

And I was referring to Frenkie, but I figure you were thinking about Luuk de Jong. Frenkie is an amazing player but ineffective. He never seems to look bothered losing. Luuk is a joke.

What bothers me about the Dutch players, same as with Catalans, is they are very middle class, they come from nice families and grew up comfortable. They are good guys, but soft. They lack guts, balls and spleen. No rage, no fury. So if you want them to work you have to add some real nuts in the mix to help out. Rather than losing to Bayern for the umpteenth embarrassment, rebel a bit. Anyone?

There are plenty of working class Dutch on the team of course but bettern epitomized by past guys like Boggarde davids seedorf gullet etc or an even more famous De Jong   

But yes they are missing a bit of piss and vinegar as it stands  

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

To be fair Guerrero is a Canadian citizen (born in Montreal) and he does play for the Toronto Blue Jays and won the Hank Aaron award as the best offensive player.

I’m aware and I’m a fan but he is hardly a player to be considered. He lived here until 4 only because of his father and is culturally Dominican. He’s as Canadian as Alphonso Davies is Ghanaian.

It would be embarrassing to have a player who isn’t committed to Canada named Canadian athlete of the year. Maybe a push by baseball fans to have him feel more Canadian. 

10 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I’m aware and I’m a fan but he is hardly a player to be considered. He lived here until 4 only because of his father and is culturally Dominican. He’s as Canadian as Alphonso Davies is Ghanaian.

It would be embarrassing to have a player who isn’t committed to Canada named Canadian athlete of the year. Maybe a push by baseball fans to have him feel more Canadian. 

Probably not the right analogy because I’m sure Davies although raised in Canada was still brought up Ghanian if you get me.

So to help you rephrase. 

“He’s as Canadian as Scott Arfield”… and actually he might be more “Canadian” than him.

Edited by Shway

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

Probably not the right analogy because I’m sure Davies although raised in Canada was still brought up Ghanian if you get me.

So to help you rephrase. 

“He’s as Canadian as Scott Arfield”… and actually he might be more “Canadian” than him.

Davies would have been brought up Liberian, he was born in Ghana through circumstance. Hence the analogy.

Arfield is a good comparison although he at least represents (?) Canada. If Guerrero Jr. represents Canada I’d be all for him winning.

If Davies and Bayern Munich get to another Champions League final, then could you imagine if Alphonso wins another Champions League title with Bayern? 

But I just love that Alphonso is in the perfect situation at Bayern Munich. Such a perfect team with superstar players all over the place. 

Not to mention being one of the best wing backs in the world because he's that valued and he is one of our own.