The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

On a positive note, he is now more likely to get brought up as one of 3 ties in the awards history than as a previous winner. But yeah, a bit ridiculous to give an award for athletic accomplishment to a guy who played 3 times in the year, no matter how selfless. Especially when you're up against a legitimate world superstar who spent the majority of the year absolutely dominating in the most competitive sport in the world. And if you want an inspiring feel good story, that could score some virtue points with readers, Alphonsos coming from a war torn country could handle that side too. 

But, it is the lou marsh.... Majority of people can understand there is one real winner here and then an incredibly selfless human who also is a good athelete. 

I know this is probably an unpopular opinion on this board, but I'm actually ok with this. Of course Davies had an unbelievable year and he had the most athletic achievements this year.

However, the award is given to the top athlete in Canada. It doesn't necessarily need to be for athletic achievements. As great as a year Davies had, it can be argued that Tardif had a more spectacular year. The guy walked away from $8.5 million US contract and a legitimate super bowl opportunity to work in a long term care facility. I dont really follow football, but even I was proud of what he accomplished this year. Also its not like he was a practice squad player or a CFL running back. He was a starter and played every playoff game for the super bowl winning team.

Again, Davies should have won and Tardif should get an Order of Canada or something but I'm good with this.

6 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I know this is probably an unpopular opinion on this board, but I'm actually ok with this. Of course Davies had an unbelievable year and he had the most athletic achievements this year.

However, the award is given to the top athlete in Canada. It doesn't necessarily need to be for athletic achievements. As great as a year Davies had, it can be argued that Tardif had a more spectacular year. The guy walked away from $8.5 million US contract and a legitimate super bowl opportunity to work in a long term care facility. I dont really follow football, but even I was proud of what he accomplished this year. Also its not like he was a practice squad player or a CFL running back. He was a starter and played every playoff game for the super bowl winning team.

Again, Davies should have won and Tardif should get an Order of Canada or something but I'm good with this.

Its an award for top Canadian athlete. That's it, that's all

4 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Terry fox won it for his humanitarian actions through the Marathon of hope. It's not just for the best athletic performance.

Ok then.. to my original point then.. who gives a shit

Just another opportunity for the dorks to push whatever the agenda of the day is. No chicks with dicks in the running this year?

Edited by SpursFlu

37 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Just another opportunity for the dorks to push whatever the agenda of the day is. No chicks with dicks in the running this year?

I promise you, no one cares more about the results of this award than the people posting in this thread.

6 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Who cares about this award anyways. Its always been a joke. "Voted on by a panel of journalists" Thats all you need to know

The lou marsh award as been joke for while now.   For me, what made me lose respect was when they named the bobsleder and then the cfl running back.  Several threads back, i noted how its been hijacked by petty regionalism and journalist tring to advance their own political or social agenda. Its not about achievement in sports.  

anyways,  i would never consider an offensive lineman in football for an athlete of the year award.     Even if he was an all-pro,  it would make me think twice.  That position requires the kind if skills that are limited and that are mostly developed later in life.  As such the field of competition in that position is really small.  

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

I promise you, no one cares more about the results of this award than the people posting in this thread.

Well,  unfortunately it does get a lot of publicity.   Unfortunately,  it gets more publicity that the CP male and female athletes of the year.   The choices they have made for those awards rarely get the same mention as the lou marsch.  But they have made more sence then waht they select for the lou marsh. 

Edited by Free kick

Given Terry Fox has won it over Gretzky, LDT winning it with Davies isn't surprising.

LDT is an average NFL player, most NFL followers don't know he exists, and he only played a 2-3 games in 2020. So, his decision to use his medical degree is basically 75% the reason he won and 25% because he was on team that won the Super Bowl.

But Davies has an humanitarian story given how he came to Canada and is an active member of UNHCR. And given the depth of field in futbol, he still became the 2nd best LB in the world, rookie of the year in the league, and top 11 in Champions League.

29 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Regardless of his field goal percentage, if Jamal Murray chops his dick off, he's a slam dunk winner in 2021. That is unless Chase Claypool decides to barricade the doors to an elementary school. If that happens would could have co winners again in 2021

This might be post of the year. 💀 

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

44 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Regardless of his field goal percentage, if Jamal Murray chops his dick off, he's a slam dunk winner in 2021. That is unless Chase Claypool decides to barricade the doors to an elementary school. If that happens would could have co winners again in 2021

What the fuck is wrong with you?

5 minutes ago, kacbru said:

You never miss an opportunity to antagonize people, post inappropriate content and derail all posts to make them all about you.  Pathetic.

All im saying is if Jamal Murray wants to catapult above the competition in 2021. He may want to consider chopping his dick off. Imagine the notoriety and new instagram followers. Just putting that out there

Edited by SpursFlu

Well I know perfectly well who Duvernay-Tardif is, and I followed his story through last year's NFL playoffs. Last season's. I think he is a great story, and from my alma mater, and his medical career is also impressive. 

Thing is, from what I understand he has bowed out of this season, and KC is doing just fine without him. 

I don't get voting a player on the basis of the 3-4 games, if that, he played in 2020.

Tbh, Davies deserved it but I have no issue with him sharing it.  It makes for a good story.  The deserved winner sharing with the humanitarian.  He will get more press than usual because of it which will be good for soccer.

I am little surprised that Jamal Murray didn't get more votes.  I watched him in the playoffs and he was incredible.  Not saying Davies wasn't more deserving, but just thought some of the more NA focused sportswriters would lean his direction.

I liked Duvernay-Tardif's tweet:

“Humbled to win the Lou Marsh Award with @AlphonsoDavies, one of the greatest athletes Canada has ever produced,” Duvernay-Tardif posted on Twitter.

Edited by An Observer
grammar

Hayley Wickenheiser is a doctor as well and surely had to have played in some pickup hockey games this year. Why is she not in contention??

If we’re removing actual athletic play/accomplishment from the equation then I see no reason. Oh wait, she didn’t give up a $8 million contract... that’s the elephant in the room here. People are fawning over a guy for giving up money. 

Who knows his true motivations really? He is a doctor after all and surely well versed in the consequences of being an NFL lineman, notably CTE. What a better time to opt out and retain some NFL money? Hate to be that guy but I think there’s more to this.

I’ve seen the name “Terry Fox” and Tardif in the same sentence a little much. They are eons apart and that is why it’s a joke. If Terry Fox was around this year then hell yes, split the trophy.

Look no further than the guys Twitter bio pining for sponsorship and media. 

11AFC913-4958-42C9-8B8D-0986402EB9EB.jpeg

Edited by CanadaFan123

14 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Hayley Wickenheiser is a doctor as well and surely had to have played in some pickup hockey games this year. Why is she not in contention??

If we’re removing actual athletic play/accomplishment from the equation then I see no reason. Oh wait, she didn’t give up a $8 million contract... that’s the elephant in the room here. People are fawning over a guy for giving up money. 

Who knows his true motivations really? He is a doctor after all and surely well versed in the consequences of being an NFL lineman, notably CTE. What a better time to opt out and retain some NFL money? Hate to be that guy but I think there’s more to this.

I’ve seen the name “Terry Fox” and Tardif in the same sentence a little much. They are eons apart and that is why it’s a joke. If Terry Fox was around this year then hell yes, split the trophy.

Look no further than the guys Twitter bio pining for sponsorship and media. 

There is no elephant in the room, I think everyone readily admits that him giving up his football season to work in health care is the major reason he won the award.

What are his true motivations? Yes the was scared of CTE so he... gave up millions to go fight a pandemic in a long term care facility? Not exactly the safest path.

"Hate to be that guy but I think there’s more to this."

No, you don't hate to be that guy...