The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

22 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Hayley Wickenheiser is a doctor as well and surely had to have played in some pickup hockey games this year. Why is she not in contention??

If we’re removing actual athletic play/accomplishment from the equation then I see no reason. Oh wait, she didn’t give up a $8 million contract... that’s the elephant in the room here. People are fawning over a guy for giving up money. 

Who knows his true motivations really? He is a doctor after all and surely well versed in the consequences of being an NFL lineman, notably CTE. What a better time to opt out and retain some NFL money? Hate to be that guy but I think there’s more to this.

I’ve seen the name “Terry Fox” and Tardif in the same sentence a little much. They are eons apart and that is why it’s a joke. If Terry Fox was around this year then hell yes, split the trophy.

Look no further than the guys Twitter bio pining for sponsorship and media. 

11AFC913-4958-42C9-8B8D-0986402EB9EB.jpeg

He gave up more money than he will ever make in Sponsorships and Media appearances. Alphonso should have won but Laurent is a guy we should all be proud to call Canadian. 

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

anyways,  i would never consider an offensive lineman in football for an athlete of the year award.     Even if he was an all-pro,  it would make me think twice.  That position requires the kind if skills that are limited and that are mostly developed later in life.  As such the field of competition in that position is really small.  

They have picked a harness racer (twice) and a shooter previously...I'm not sure they worry too much about the same things you and I would think about when picking an athletic award.  About the only person they havnt picked is a curler....hmmm...

1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

Pretty sure a lot of folk on here think I'm a dick, but man, even I look tame compared to that clown.

I wouldnt worry if I were you....there is a huge difference between..."cripes, Leo is totally wrong..thats baloney, i think blah blah" and "OMG I think that guy was dropped on his head as a child". 

59 minutes ago, El Diego said:

There is no elephant in the room, I think everyone readily admits that him giving up his football season to work in health care is the major reason he won the award.

What are his true motivations? Yes the was scared of CTE so he... gave up millions to go fight a pandemic in a long term care facility? Not exactly the safest path.

"Hate to be that guy but I think there’s more to this."

No, you don't hate to be that guy...

Wait what? He literally has a better chance of dying in an NFL game or on his daily commute to practice.

57 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

There are days when I'm embarrassed to call myself a Voyageur. Sadly, reading the last page of this thread, today is one of those rare days. 

I'm with ya.  

I think I'll go onto some NFL forum and see how many posters ask: Who the f*&^ is Davies?  

Some of these comments on this thread saying "Alphonse got robbed" and "nobody respects soccer on Canada" is pathetic. 

1) Davies was just named the winner of the Lou Marsh. He has to share it, but he still gets a trophy and the recognition. He wasn't disrespected, he won it. 

2) Laurent Duvernay-Tardif was also well deserving of the award. Did he have an incredible season like Davies? He had a good one, he won a Super Bowl, but nothing like Davies. But he still protected Patty Mahomes all year and gave up his years salary so he could help people in care homes in Montreal. One of the most dangerous places to be in this country at the moment. 

3) "But Duvernay-Tardif only played three games this year" you know who else got nominated for this year's award? Christine Sinclair. Last I checked, Sinclair played in five international games this year and scored two goals. Yeah she broke the record, but it's not like there was any crazy storyline heading into it. 

4) "Canada Soccer is disrespected" explain to me how soccer in this country is disrespected? Davies, Sinclair and Buchanan were just in the top five voting for the award. The last time that has happened was........ NEVER! 

If it's anyone who disrespects Canadian soccer, it's Soccer Canada itself. Outside of maybe Toronto or Vancovuer, there is zero buzz about the national team. Zero. You want news? Go find it, because they won't give it to you. 

11 hours ago, spinrack said:

Good news.
Davies will be back in the lineup for Bayern's Champions League match against Lokomotiv Moscow on Wednesday.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/bundesliga/article/alphonso-davies-return-bayerns-lineup-champions-league-match/

Thanks for that news.  Love to see him play generally, but I would say take it extremely slow.*  They have nothing to gain tonight.  

*But I am scarred by the record of players like Dean Ashton, Andy Carroll and even Michail Antonio. 

Phonzie still doing Phonzie things after being injured.. David finding form in Ligue 1/Europe.. Eustaquio emerging as a top CM in Portugal.. Millar tearing apart PL2 and looking at a Championship loan.. Corbeanu with eyes on PL games with Wolves.. Larin/Hutch ripping twine in Turkey.. Arfield born again in Glasgow.. and Laryea/Buchanan/StClair/Hasal emerging as MLS stars.. Merry Christmas Canadian Soccer fans. 

Nice to watch football, after suffering Lille these weeks. Players with their heads up, in fact almost all of them, but some are just amazing, like Sane, he never looks at the ball at his feet. 

I also thought Davies was perfectly on pace and right back where he was before. Very encouraging to see.

Davies looked far better in this game than in his pre-injury matches to start the season.  In hindsight, he was probably more than a little burnt out after a whirlwind season in a starting role with Bayern.  

Davies was beating his defender down the left flank in a majority of the 1v1 matchups.  A couple of the crosses were wayward but Bayern is so much more dynamic with Davies than Hernandez and Hernandez was one of France's best players in the most recent Nation's League set of games. 

1 hour ago, Snowcrash said:

Davies looked far better in this game than in his pre-injury matches to start the season.  In hindsight, he was probably more than a little burnt out after a whirlwind season in a starting role with Bayern.  

Davies was beating his defender down the left flank in a majority of the 1v1 matchups.  A couple of the crosses were wayward but Bayern is so much more dynamic with Davies than Hernandez and Hernandez was one of France's best players in the most recent Nation's League set of games. 

Yes, I wouldn't go so far as to say the injury was a good thing, but provided there are no lasting effects, certainly a silver lining that he had a bit of a forced break.