The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Lively today, active holding Diaby and Bailey on his side and moving forward nicely. And in the 2nd half going forward with a lot of energy and with participation in the attack--he just drew a yellow on Bailey. I could see him scoring today.

I also like that he works well with Lucas Hernández, who he has basically stopped from playing in many games. 

All told, Bayern not really better than Bayer and not really deserving any ore than a draw, at least so far.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 hours ago, cronaldo7 said:

Davies looked solid throughout the entire match. Very lively and hardly put a foot wrong. Had a small moment of lack of concentration near the end there when he was pretty lackadaisical against Diaby who got by him too easily and Bayer almost converted. 

Other than that, really liked his game.

He easily won the CONCACAF battle today

11 hours ago, Yoginess said:

I no it's no media media voted award but I've been watching "The Champions" for a couple years. My big hopes for Phonzie were that one day he would be a big enough of a name to get in an episode... and now we're here!

Check out the comments: the real Thomas Müller laughing at how he's portrayed....

Listened to a year-end “Euro Leagues” podcast from BBC, renowned journalist Guillem Balague mentioned the Davies vs. Barca sequence as a highlight of the year for him...  Amazingly made #72 on TSN’s Top 100 plays of the year behind a random hockey highlight and a baseball highlight (throw to first base) that you might see any given night.

If Herdman is going to use Davies at LB, he needs to have the right guy in front of him to allow our Bayern ace to do his thing and be a danger man down that flank.  Right now, I think it's either Osorio or Arfield, natural right footers used to playing that inverted role wider on the left but are good, two way guys who can maintain the team shape.  

20 minutes ago, Craig11rm said:

What do you guys think about putting Layrea and Davies on the left side. They could interchange positions at any time and Layrea could cut in on his right and have Davies overlapping him. If we play with with a back 5 with wingbacks I think having them on opposite sides is better though. 

I've advocated on here that Laryea would be a good guy to have as "inverted" player on the left of midfield and I think he might also be a good fit for that kind of role.  

46 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

If Herdman is going to use Davies at LB, he needs to have the right guy in front of him to allow our Bayern ace to do his thing and be a danger man down that flank.  Right now, I think it's either Osorio or Arfield, natural right footers used to playing that inverted role wider on the left but are good, two way guys who can maintain the team shape.  

I’ve always thought Junior was good at drawing the defender and finding the overlap or playing it inside 

I like the idea of Junior on the left too but I don’t think Junior is as committed defensively. I think if Davies and Layrea are interchangeable on the left then we don’t have to debate about having Davies as a LB or LW. On the right I like Junior and Buchanan but you could easily do Layrea and Buchanan on the right with Junior and Davies on the left. Cant wait to see or full strength squad play together again....